Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Where to set the crossover?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 25 2010 - 08:15 AM

I just bought a budget set up:

Receiver: Insignia NS-R5101HD

Speakers: Insignia NS-HT51

I've been sick so I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it, but I watched some of the movie "Coraline" last night and it sounded great, but this afternoon I popped in "Gladiator" just to test it and the sound was wonderful, but the voices sounded a bit tinny.  The speakers are set to small so the bass should be going through the sub, but when they talk, nothing comes out of the sub.  What should I set the crossover to?  My options are 50, 80, 100, 150, or 200 Hz.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 25 2010 - 11:39 AM

Vocals are not supposed to come out of the sub. I have that same receiver and I love it. Did you run the Room EQ setup? If so, what crossover did it choose? I would try 150 and 200 and see which sounds best. Your speakers show they go down to 175hz.(right between the 2).

#3 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 25 2010 - 02:55 PM

The setup put it at 80.  I changed it to 150 and that seems to help a lot.  I tried a few more movies and they sounded fine, so maybe it's the Gladiator movie.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted February 25 2010 - 03:05 PM

You say the voices sound tinny. Is there enough volume though? If not, you may have to increase the volume of the center channel by a couple decibels.

#5 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 26 2010 - 01:58 AM

I watched another movie last night and it sounded great.  I have a little volume tweaking to do, but everything is good now except Gladiator.  I'm guessing it's just that movie.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted February 26 2010 - 06:27 AM

Do you have a decibel meter to check all the speaker levels? I did that after I ran the Room EQ and made a couple adjustments.