What's new

X-Files on Blu-ray question. (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Does anyone know if the X-Files have the same 'edited on video' problem that the first 3 Trek spin-offs have?

I am really wondering why we haven't seen at least season one on Blu-ray yet.

The DVD sets had a decent number of extras and I hope they're not delaying them to include a few new ones.

I also hope they're not waiting to release them in a giganitc box set first. I can't afford that and I really don't want seasons 7-9.

Any guess or info?

Thanks

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Oh crud !!

I was just guessing----I really didn't think they had made that same mistake as Trek.

Now I'm wondering if they did that for all nine seasons or just the first four----which were NOT shot with widescreen in mind.
(I am thinking they would have stopped editing on video when they realized widescreen TV---and therefore HD was coming.)

But hey, I'd be happy to buy seasons 5 & 6 on Blu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Camper

Oh crud !!

I was just guessing----I really didn't think they had made that same mistake as Trek.

Now I'm wondering if they did that for all nine seasons or just the first four----which were NOT shot with widescreen in mind.
(I am thinking they would have stopped editing on video when they realized widescreen TV---and therefore HD was coming.)

But hey, I'd be happy to buy seasons 5 & 6 on Blu.
I'm pretty sure that the entire series was edited on video just because it was the standard at the time.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
When Fox is selling the seasons in Two packs in walmart for $20 not sure how profitable they would be in blu ray anyhow. There's alot of TV ON DVD product that even if Hi Def masters exist may never get on Blu ray..

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Was it beginning with season 5 that they started shooting in HD? I believe that's when we first saw the 16x9: Widescreen DVDs. I can only assume these were derived from something better than SD video.

So, there's the possibility of Season 5 - 9 on Blu-Ray.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa

When Fox is selling the seasons in Two packs in walmart for $20 not sure how profitable they would be in blu ray anyhow. There's alot of TV ON DVD product that even if Hi Def masters exist may never get on Blu ray..
I think the units sold on the X-Files sets have run their course(Anyone who wanted it on dvd has probably purchased it years ago). With the rate the originals sets were released, I'm assuming they sold very well. The 2 packs for cheap are probably just eliminating excess stock in the fox warehouses. Same goes with the Buffy sets you can find for super cheap at Wal Mart from time to time.
That being said, If the remote chance the show gets a release on Blu-Ray, it would probably sell very well once again.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I think the units sold on the X-Files sets have run their course(Anyone who wanted it on dvd has probably purchased it years ago).
Most people. Not everyone. I didn't want to pay $100 per season, but I'm also not willing to pick up the cheaper sets that are missing extras.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if they only have to do season 1-4, maybe it's doable There aren't nearly the amount of visual effects as there are in Next Generation, maybe it could get the Seinfeld treatment.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Almost every American TV show from about 1986 to about 2003, were shot on film, but edited on 480i video. This includes the X-Files. My guess is that the show has about the same number of effects shots per episode as the Original Star Trek show. This would be a BIG job even if it were just the editing. Every single roll of film that went through a camera for that show would have to be re-scanned. That is in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 hours of film per episode. Re-editing would require the use of the edit logs to know which takes were used. This assumes the edit logs still exist. I'm not sure that X-Files sells in the kind of numbers that would justify a complete re edit and recreation of the effects that would be required for a high def release.

Doug

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am watching S7 right now. (Yeah, supposedly the worst one and the season I bought last.) Hard to believe this could have been shot with HD viewing in mind. I mean, usually you get a clue by the way the DVDs look. True not always, I've seen some atrocious DVDs of TV shot in HD over the last few years since BD has been out. But this X season just doesn't give me the feeling HD was anywhere in the picture at that point, so I'm not encouraged to be looking for X on BD.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If Fox were to spend the money to re-scan episodes, I would seriously consider purchasing the BD sets of the series and Millennium (my favourite of the two).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by CraigF

I am watching S7 right now. (Yeah, supposedly the worst one and the season I bought last.) Hard to believe this could have been shot with HD viewing in mind. I mean, usually you get a clue by the way the DVDs look. True not always, I've seen some atrocious DVDs of TV shot in HD over the last few years since BD has been out. But this X season just doesn't give me the feeling HD was anywhere in the picture at that point, so I'm not encouraged to be looking for X on BD.
Supposedly the show was shot with 16x9 in mind from about season 5 on, however that doesn't mean that they were actually editing in HD. My understanding is that only the last season or two were actually completed in High Def.

Doug

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Supposedly the show was shot with 16x9 in mind from about season 5 on, however that doesn't mean that they were actually editing in HD. My understanding is that only the last season or two were actually completed in High Def.

Doug
Sad, isn't it? The final season is basically a crapfest, but it sure looks pretty.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
About the only way you'll probably ever see the X- Files on Blu would be as a complete series set, in standard definition, in order to take advantage of the 50GB storage capacity of the discs. The entire series would probably fit on 12 discs. And they would look better than their DVD counterparts due to the more modern codecs. But we're probably a long way off from seeing something like that ...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

The entire series would probably fit on 12 discs. And they would look better than their DVD counterparts due to the more modern codecs.
I'm not so sure about that. Look at the "Trials and Tribulations" DS9 episode on the second season Star Trek TOS blu-ray set. It looks horrible. Watching the original DS9 DVD looks better than their supposed up scaled mess.

Doug

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I would rather like to see Fox first cater to the fans of the show who currently have the DVD sets and allow them to swap the DVD sets for the Blu Ray versions.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I'm not so sure about that. Look at the "Trials and Tribulations" DS9 episode on the second season Star Trek TOS blu-ray set. It looks horrible. Watching the original DS9 DVD looks better than their supposed up scaled mess.

Doug
Doug -- OK, I just took your advice and you're right! That studio-upscaled DS9 ep looked pretty bad. But what I was really talking about was doing new 480p transfers of the series via, say, the VC-1 codec. Then let the player and/or the monitor handle the upscaling. The main advantage of such a set would be far less shelf space (12 discs in one box vs. 9 boxes); the better durability of the Blu-ray format; and at least a marginally better A/V quality via the VC-1 codec.

Of course, it will probably never happen (or even be considered).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Craig Beam

Sad, isn't it? The final season is basically a crapfest, but it sure looks pretty.
I think the biggest blunder in the X-Files, was when it started to drift from the monster of the week formula. the first two seasons are pretty fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks