Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF Blu-ray Review: NURSE JACKIE Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 21 2010 - 12:28 PM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 21 2010 - 03:04 PM

Damn, Michael.  I've always been curious about this show...and now you've gone and make this a "must buy" for me.  Maybe by not telling me too much (the "considerate reviewer" in you!) you've succeeded in piquing my interest all the more. 

My wife and I were big fans of St. Elsewhere during it's original run.  While you seem to indicate the two shows are not quite barking up the same tree, your description seems to paint Nurse Jackie as an edgy medical drama based on strong personalities with lots of surprises around every corner.  That is much what I remember about St. Elsewhere. 

I think I might surprise the wife with this one.  It's always fun to learn a new show together and we like being able to watch them commercial-free and on our own schedule.    And it's nice to see reasonable prices for an entire season of a new program on BD (same as the DVD price!).

I've never seen an episode of The Sopranos so I don't have any connection of Edie Falco to that show. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 21 2010 - 04:37 PM

I hope you enjoy it, Mike. After I post a review, I sometimes do a quick look around to see how other net reviewers have written up the title. As I suspected would be the case, every reviewer reveals too much. It's hard not to. This is a show where one really pays a price for not watching on the initial broadcast (although I hasten to add that it holds up beautifully on repeat viewing, because there's so much going on).

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 05 2010 - 07:09 AM

Just reporting in.

Wife and I are probably up to episode six of Nurse Jackie.  It took wife a lot longer to warm up to it than I did.  She doesn't like the graphic nature of the show all that much--especially the blood.  But I don't think there's really been all that much of that. 

I'm trying to figure out why TV characters don't know about the vibrate mode on their cell phones. 

We're taking our time.  We kind of like the fact that it's just a half-hour program.  And there are a lot of nice detailed touches in the character development. 

We continue to move forward.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 29 2010 - 02:30 AM

We completed the series last night.

Knowing that we had watched the season finale and that there would be no more episodes until Season 2 hits the streets, my wife announced, "well, I'm glad you convinced me to stay with that one.  I kinda like it."

Like I said in an earlier post, the show, to me, does really seem to follow in the lineage of St. Elsewhere--a gritty hospital-based drama in which the characters are involved in (often over-the-top) real-life emotional situations.  The writing is solid and the performances are great.  I especially enjoy Haaz Sleiman ( I recently enjoyed his performance in The Visitor), while my wife has focused on Merritt Wever's work as Zoey.  Also thrown in are the occasional surprise guest star (Eli Wallach!  Not to mention VIctor Garber and several others.).  The emphasis is on the ensemble...even though it appears as if the show 's raison d'etre was to provide a vehicle for Edie Falco. 

My lone criticism might be that they seem to have a hard time deciding what to do with Anna Deveare Smith's character of Mrs. Akalitus.  She comes off as a pretty cliche buffoon of an administrator whose purpose is to serve mostly as a foil to the cast of nurses.  I'd like to see her character written a bit more smartly.  But that's a minor, minor point. 

Looking forward to Season 2.  (It's nice to know I'll see Season 2 of Nurse Jackie on disc...since I've been waiting--and suffering--for an exceptionally long time for Season 2 of St. Elsewhere to show up.)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 03:29 AM

Glad you enjoyed it!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Haaz Sleiman's Mo-mo is MIA in Season 2. The stated reason is that Dr. O'Hara ended up filling so much airtime as Jackie's friend and confidante that they didn't have enough room for his character, but who knows if that's the real reason? On the plus side, I've been finding Mrs. Akalitus even funnier and, if anything, more sympathetic this season. Would you want the job of presiding over this madhouse?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 29 2010 - 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Haaz Sleiman's Mo-mo is MIA in Season 2. The stated reason is that Dr. O'Hara ended up filling so much airtime as Jackie's friend and confidante that they didn't have enough room for his character, but who knows if that's the real reason?
THAT is disappointing about Mo-mo.  But, I guess Eve Best has been getting lots of kudos this season for her work as O'Hara.  I see many different mentions of her here & there. 

I hope Sleiman is able to have a big career break-out.  I find him especially engaging and charismatic on screen.  His character in The Visitor seemed like it was perfectly suited for him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users