What's new

battlestar galactica and space 1999 remastering. (1 Viewer)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I wonder if either show will ever be redone with cgi effects like the original star trek.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would be against it. To me, the charm of these shows lies in their being products of their time and to change the FX to make it look like it was made decades later would detract from the storytelling overall, which is why I never liked the Star Wars special editions and haven't bothered with the redone Treks.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/298340/battlestar-galactica-and-space-1999-remastering#post_3663023

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Whether you like or dislike adding new effects to old shows, it's a non-issue in this instance becase it won't happen. I know people love Battlestar Galactica and Space: 1999 but not enough where a studio would spend the money on new effects. Star Trek is a special case in that it has an incredibly large and devoted fanbase who keep buying it over and over so spending millions to re-do special effects will actually generate money for the studio.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The Star Trek TOS Blu-ray releases have both the remastered and ORIGINAL effects. There is no reason to stay away from the Trek releases since they have the best of both worlds.

I would love to see Space 1999 on blu, but the only thing I think we'll see (in terms of remastering) is the digital removal of wires, which are very apparent on the dvd releases.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
actually going through the Gil Gerard buck series i could see where this would be a nice addition, to what was originally done, for the momey spent per episode, BG and BR were supposedly two of the more expensive series produced at the time, if that was true then the continuity checks should have been in a better place, minor flubs, but i also have the nagging reuse over and over again of the same shots, if it was done with the same effect as what was done with trek, in other words upgraded, but not overpower the story, use the same designs, but remove the mistakes, and if BR gets done or BG hey i will give it a look, it will also give them better runs in syndication, because they can re-market it, just like trek, so i can see this happing in years to come,

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Universal should only remastered the audio and video. They should not commit to creating new effects for either series.

I just think that the new CGI technology would look uneven against the video footage that was created back in the eighties. I would rather see the current footage enhanced and remastered for Blu-ray/HD.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
This is Universal we are talking about .The only way that a remastered edition would come, is if they give these to another company.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I should have specified. The only thing that needs to be done with Battlestar is to remove the Matte lines around some of the shots which was the result of placing film over film. Space 1999's biggest problem is the use of wires which could removed without too much trouble.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Space 1999's effects were so revoltionary in it's day that they still hold up today. (To a certain degree)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The only thing I would like to see is that the video gets cleaned up and the artifacts removed from the video.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm not interested in the original BSG, but a blu-ray release of Space: 1999 would be fantastic--seeing those trippy, metaphysical S1 episodes in HD would compensate for Martin Landau's terrible acting!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well there is another way on the Buck franchising , guess the web based series is filming and well they found a way to get Gil and Erin in it as Bucks parents, clip is on you tube

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Space 1999 has a pretty large international fanbase. Conventions are still held, and new merchandise has been coming out the past few years. The series has already been remastered in HD.

A group of fans have created a proof of concept for how to update the show, but respect the original model FX.
www.space2099.tv/video/video_05.htm

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The proof of concept was interesting, but I would only support it if the original unaltered version was made available alongside it. Revitalizing a series is one thing, but they must preserve the original version.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by kemcha

Universal should only remastered the audio and video. They should not commit to creating new effects for either series.

I just think that the new CGI technology would look uneven against the video footage that was created back in the eighties. I would rather see the current footage enhanced and remastered for Blu-ray/HD.
I should note though, that when Galactica was released on DVD in 2003, it *was* remastered from the film elements and was given a treatment that Universal hasn't given to other series since then, Galactica in fact, was a rare case of something Universal released on DVD prior to when they started rolling out their catalog en masse from old masters in 2004.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
That may be because of the fact that the original BG series was about to lose the entire series to film. I think Universal was forced to act, much in the same way that George Lucas had to act on the original Star Wars movies because the original master copies of the films would be lost if they weren't restored.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A digital remastering of Space: 1999 on the same level as the effort recently done for The Prisoner blu-ray set would be great! No CGI necessary, just a beautiful clean image of the live action. If they want to remove the wires and fix little bits, I can understand, but it's part of the series, so it's not necessary.

The Star Trek TOS sets set the standard I think. And watching with original effects was the best bonus on that set.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

A digital remastering of Space: 1999 on the same level as the effort recently done for The Prisoner blu-ray set would be great! No CGI necessary, just a beautiful clean image of the live action. If they want to remove the wires and fix little bits, I can understand, but it's part of the series, so it's not necessary.
As has already been mentioned here, BBC Resources have already remastered year one of Space in high-definition. BluRay's have not been released, but the masters are already available, both in pillarboxed 4:3 and cropped widescreen (I think the widescreen version has had some UK HD telecasts).

I don't know for sure if BBC Resources have remastered year two or not. I think it was planned (as Network were rumoured to have been planning a DVD release), but nothing's ever been announced so far as I know.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It would be nice if the eventual BRs of S1999 had both versions on it. I wouldn't want just a cropped version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks