Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: The Lovely Bones (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted February 19 2010 - 03:13 AM

Posted Image

FROM ACADEMY AWARD®-WINNING* DIRECTOR PETER JACKSON COMES A SUSPENSEFUL THRILLER FEATURING AN OUTSTANDING, AWARD-WINNING CAST

THE LOVELY BONES

Mesmerizing Adaptation of the Best-Selling Novel Debuts on DVD, Blu-ray and VOD
April 20, 2010

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Three-time Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson directs the stunning fantasy thriller THE LOVELY BONES, arriving on DVD, two-disc Blu-ray and VOD April 20, 2010 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  The extraordinary story of one girl’s life and everything that came after, THE LOVELY BONES is filled with thrilling suspense, hope and the redeeming power of love.  When 14-year-old Susie Salmon was murdered, she left her unfinished life behind.  But now from her place in a strange but beautiful in-between world, she must help her father catch her killer and protect her family before she can finally move on.   
   The film features an extraordinary cast including Academy Award® nominee Mark Wahlberg (The Departed), Academy Award® winners Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardener) and Susan Sarandon (Dead Man Walking), Academy Award® nominee Saoirse Ronan (Atonement) and Stanley Tucci (Julie & Julia) in a role that earned him an Academy Award® and Golden Globe® nomination for Best Supporting Actor.  Based on the best-selling novel by Alice Sebold, the screenplay was written by Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson. Bursting with brilliant fantasy, THE LOVELY BONES “cuts a path to a humanity that supersedes life and death” (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone), resulting in a film that is “complex, alluring and enthralling” (Rex Reed, New York Observer).  
   THE LOVELY BONES two-disc Blu-ray features nearly three hours of bonus content including an immersive, 15-week production diary hosted by Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens that provides in-depth, behind-the-scenes access to the film’s shoot in the U.S. and New Zealand, as well as a look at the stunning visual effects. 

THE LOVELY BONES DVD & Blu-ray

THE LOVELY BONES DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles.  The two-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles.  
The Blu-ray includes the following special feature:
  • Filming The Lovely Bones—An extensive production diary in 15 segments hosted by Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens that follows the film’s shoot and post-production work on the visual effects.

About Paramount Home Entertainment 
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

THE LOVELY BONES
Street Date:  April 20, 2010
Pricing:  $19.99 U.S. (DVD)
                $29.99 U.S. (Blu-ray)
Runtime:  130 minutes
U.S. Rating:  PG-13 for mature thematic material involving disturbing violent content and images and some language
Canadian Rating: PG for violence and mature theme 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 19 2010 - 05:05 PM

I missed this in theaters.  I'll definitely be picking it up on Blu.

- Steve

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, when it was announced Jackson was doing this film, there was a lot of hype.  But when it came time to release it, Paramount did just about nothing to promote it.  Very weird.  Anyway, looking forward to seeing it since it vanished without a trace from theaters.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted February 26 2010 - 12:11 AM

It got a bad rap by critics, but I thought the movie was quite powerful, and the critics were just out of touch with its theme, which comes from the perspective of a 14-year-old girl (The Virgin Suicides unjustly suffered this too).

I wrote an essay on the power of the film's music here:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/brian-eno-and-the-lovely-bones-3/

I wonder how long the production diary feature is?

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,338 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 26 2010 - 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans M. View Post

It got a bad rap by critics, but I thought the movie was quite powerful, and the critics were just out of touch with its theme, which comes from the perspective of a 14-year-old girl (The Virgin Suicides unjustly suffered this too).

I said it over in the review or discussion thread for the movie but I found it to be the most frustrating movie that I've seen in a long time. There were parts that I thought were great but the 'other side' elements didn't work for me at all and, unfortunately, that sunk the movie.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 26 2010 - 02:51 AM

I went into the theater thinking, "It can't be as bad as the critics say". I left thinking they were too kind. The film represents the full flowering of every weakness that Peter Jackson ever displayed as a filmmaker: bloated running time, lack of narrative focus, over-reliance on special effects. The result is a wearying emotional hollowness.

I'm not surprised that Stanley Tucci got the Oscar nomination, because the film ends up being more about the killer than his victim. That's how badly off-kilter it is. Epically awful.

(For the record, I thought The Virgin Suicides was great.)
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted February 26 2010 - 03:46 AM

As I recall, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES was very warmly received by critics.

Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans M. View Post

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,338 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 26 2010 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben View Post

(For the record, I thought The Virgin Suicides was great.)

Me too.

#9 of 10 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,778 posts

Posted April 20 2010 - 04:37 AM

I am finishing up my review today; I don;t feel they way that Micheal does, but I certainly get where he is coming from. Not what I was expecting at all.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 20 2010 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

Me too.
Me three. Sofia has done good work since, but TVS was an amazing piece of art.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert