Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting 1080 out of my Sony RPTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   wdonovan

wdonovan

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 18 2010 - 11:55 PM

When I use my TV (Sony KP-53HS30) with cable, DVD's, Roku, etc. it uses all 1080 lines. Set specs claim 1080i. But when I hook my new dedicated PC to it all I can find is 720.

Specifics are as follows: 3 or 4 yr old tower with P4. Tower has Intel graphics accel o motherboard but I'm not using it. Graphics card is ATI HD4650 with HDMI out & VGA (15 dsub) outs. TV's best vid in is component so I hooked PC to TV using HDMI to component converter (popular one on Ebay, arched top, small no name box).

The ATI driver and Catalyst only seem to allow one res that shows a picture on the TV that's not scrambled, that's 1920 x 1080 in interlaced 30Hz mode. This mode has to be used on the monitor as well, making the desktop muuuuuch wider than I can see. I ws under the understanding that the ATI card would output "any resolution up to # x 1600.

At this setting the TV only goes to 720 lines (top and bottom of screen not used). In my mind, I need to get 1440 x 1080 resolution for the TV (it is 4:3 aspect).

1) Is there a way to use all 1080 lines on the TV?
2) Is there a way to set a custom (not canned) resolution in the ATI card?

I have spent much time and some money buying all this hardware and it's not even close to what I expected. Can someone out there steer me toward a more pleasant PCTV experience?