What's new

How's the Audio, Video Quality on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Blu-Ray)? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

How's the video and audio quality for the Bundle-Only (boo! :( Blu-Ray release for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from Sony?

I haven't found a definitive review for the Blu-Ray yet.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Dunno about quality, you could check Blu-ray.com or DVDTimes for reviews, but if you want it separate from the bundle, just order the region-free UK version from Amazon.UK or a similar retailer.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just saw today Best Buy has it listed with a release date of March 9.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Crouching+Tiger+Hidden+Dragon+-+Widescreen+Dubbed+Subtitle+AC3+-+Blu-ray+Disc/8165558.p?id=32842&skuId=8165558&st=crouching%20tiger%20blu&lp=1&cp=1

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
@ Jesse,

Thanks for the links; sounds like the Video and Audio transfer turned out to be pretty good (no major issues). :)

@ Cameron,

Thanks for the Best Buy link. Wow, that's news to me. How accurate is Best Buy.com for street dates and such? Amazon.com doesn't even have this listing. Thanks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, it was a surprise to me too. I'm taking it with a grain of salt. When the 9th rolls around I'll check on it but I don't have my hopes up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can buy this title from Amazon's UK site for 18.69 including shipping. I've had this release for several months and it looks very good to me.

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Finally(!), if true, that it's being released as a standalone title here in the USA.

I was planning to just order it from Amazon UK along w/ a few other titles, but guess I may just hold off on that now.

For some reason, I thought it did get a thumbs up from RAH and another HTF reviewer, but I'm not too sure now -- and the site search function is pretty useless for digging stuff up.

Anyway, it's a Sony release, so it should be pretty solid quality-wise since Sony has been pretty spotless w/ their track record ever since the earliest days after The Fifth Element problem. If there's any studio you can trust for delivering quality (A/V) results on Blu-ray, Sony is it.

_Man_

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Received this today. PQ is very good, imo. Subtitles do run into the letterbox area but the Oppo fixed that. I was surprised it was in a steelbook case. I was expecting the thicker UK plastic case. I don't remember it being mentioned as a steelbook on the product page at Amazon UK .

By any chance anyone know if the UK release of I, Robot has all the special features?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You said it man, Man. The search feature is (was) one of the most important aspects of the site, saves unnecessary superfluous posts (like this one) when it works. I was looking for a review by Michael Reuben and no way can I find it by searching. Luckily it was only 10 pages back a few days ago, 12 pages back today when I re-verified to prevent looking extra foolish...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by CraigF ...so it's there but almost might as well not be.

I know this doesn't address the search issue, but the easiest way to find a review, especially from the last year, is to look for the disc in the product database. A copy of the review should be attached to the product entry, and a link to the review thread should appear just below the cover image.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't had any trouble looking up reviews with the search function. Seemed to work fine for me for the BDs I've looked up.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I've been waiting for this to break out of the box set!! I have heard that aside from placement issues, the the translation has been reworked a bit. Is this true, and is it bad enough that it should be a deal breaker?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FWIW, Amazon just alerted me the BD is available now for pre-order, but there's still no date specified.

Quote:
I have heard that aside from placement issues, the the translation has been reworked a bit. Is this true, and is it bad enough that it should be a deal breaker?
I've watched about 90 minutes of it and the subtitles are slightly different than what I remember. I don't think it's any better or worse and definitely not a deal breaker.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't have an Oppo, so do you think the U.K. release with the Subtitles running into the letterboxing is going to be a problem for me? (I'm running a Sony PS3.) Thanks. I may just wait for that U.S. Blu-Ray release.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're running a constant height 2.35 FP setup it just comes down to personal preference. Me personally, I like the subtitles completely in the film area.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FWIW Crouching Tiger BD is now showing on Amazon as In Stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon-Blu-ray/dp/B00198X0UY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1269978519&sr=8-2

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
The problem is that Amazon, Best Buy and a lot of retailers keep pushing the release date back. I'll believe this is out when I see it in stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks