What's new

Can I place center speaker directly on top of receiver? (Onkyo HT-S6200) (1 Viewer)

UniAce

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
[SIZE= 12px]Hi all,
I am setting up the Onkyo HT-S6200 HTiB system I just got.
It would be most convenient to place the center speaker (SKC-670) directly on top of the AV receiver (HT-R670), but I don't know if that's okay or not. The manual doesn't say one way or another whether it's safe to put ANYthing on top of the receiver. The only hints I have are a general warning that the receiver can get really hot, and the observation that the top of the receiver is covered in vents... which lead me to guess that maybe I shouldn't put anything on top of it?...~jason
[/SIZE]

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Never put anything on top of a receiver, especially an Onkyo. They are known to get hot in those situations. When it gets hot, it can go into "Protect" mode, and shut down. It can damage it if it doesn't shut down fast enough. Don't close the Onkyo in either. If the tv is wall mounted, you can put a shelf just above or just below it. If it's not wall mounted, I'd get a stand, and put the center speaker on the shelf under the tv.
Good luck.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by UniAce

[SIZE= 12px]The only hints I have are a general warning that the receiver can get really hot, and the observation that the top of the receiver is covered in vents... which lead me to guess that maybe I shouldn't put anything on top of it?...[/SIZE]
Jason:

You seem to have successfully put 2 and 2 together and gotten 4. I know you want to do what's convenient...but it could cause long-range damage to your receiver to cover those vents and allow it to overheat. All you need is a small shelf or something to provide some air circulation around the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks