Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I place center speaker directly on top of receiver? (Onkyo HT-S6200)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   UniAce

UniAce

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hi all,
I am setting up the Onkyo HT-S6200 HTiB system I just got.
It would be most convenient to place the center speaker (SKC-670) directly on top of the AV receiver (HT-R670), but I don't know if that's okay or not. The manual doesn't say one way or another whether it's safe to put ANYthing on top of the receiver.  The only hints I have are a general warning that the receiver can get really hot, and the observation that the top of the receiver is covered in vents... which lead me to guess that maybe I shouldn't put anything on top of it?...~jason

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 16 2010 - 03:46 PM

Never put anything on top of a receiver, especially an Onkyo. They are known to get hot in those situations. When it gets hot, it can go into "Protect" mode, and shut down. It can damage it if it doesn't shut down fast enough. Don't close the Onkyo in either. If the tv is wall mounted, you can put a shelf just above or just below it. If it's not wall mounted, I'd get a stand, and put the center speaker on the shelf under the tv.
Good luck.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 16 2010 - 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniAce 

The only hints I have are a general warning that the receiver can get really hot, and the observation that the top of the receiver is covered in vents... which lead me to guess that maybe I shouldn't put anything on top of it?...
Jason:

You seem to have successfully put 2 and 2 together and gotten 4.  I know you want to do what's convenient...but it could cause long-range damage to your receiver to cover those vents and allow it to overheat.  All you need is a small shelf or something to provide some air circulation around the receiver.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon