Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Up In The Air (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 01:50 AM

“One of the year’s best movies”
--Richard Corliss, Time 

Nominated for Six Academy Awards
® Including Best Picture and Best Actor 
ACADEMY AWARD WINNER* GEORGE CLOONEY STARS IN 
THE MOST CELEBRATED ROMANTIC COMEDY OF THE YEAR 
UP IN THE AIR 
Cited As One of the Top Ten Movies of the Year on Over 200 Critics’ Lists, 
Captivating and Entertaining Film Takes Off on DVD and Blu-ray March 9, 2010

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Academy Award® winner George Clooney “gives the performance of his career” (Lou Lumenick, New York Post) in the smart, funny and thought-provoking film UP IN THE AIR coming in for a landing on DVD and Blu-ray March 9, 2010 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  Called “the movie of the year, the movie of the moment” (Tom Carson, GQ) and named by over 200 critics as one of the top 10 films of 2009, UP IN THE AIR tells the story of a man discovering that life is not simply about the journey alone, but about the personal connections made along the way.  
Co-written and directed by Oscar® nominee Jason Reitman (Juno), 
    UP IN THE AIR received six Academy Award nominations including Best Picture, Best Actor (Clooney), Best Supporting Actress (Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick), Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.  The film has already won a Golden Globe® Award for Best Screenplay and dozens of critics’ association awards including being named Best Film by the National Board of Review, the Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association, the Southeastern Film Critics Association, the Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association, the Florida Film Critics Circle and the Kansas City Film Critics Circle.    
    The UP IN THE AIR DVD and Blu-ray presentations include commentary by writer/director Jason Reitman, director of photography Eric Steelberg and first assistant director Jason Blumenfeld, deleted scenes with optional commentary and the featurette “Shadowplay: Before The Story”.  The Blu-ray also includes additional deleted scenes, storyboards, an American Airlines prank and the “Help Yourself” music video by Sad Brad. 

UP IN THE AIR DVD & Blu-ray

The UP IN THE AIR DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles.  The Blu-ray disc is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles.  The DVD includes the following special features:
  • Commentary by writer/director Jason Reitman, director of photography Eric Steelberg and first assistant director
  • Jason Blumenfeld
  • Shadowplay: Before The Story
  • Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Jason Reitman
    • To Know Me Is To Fly With Me
    • Real People Firing and Irate Employee
    • Thumper and Extended Boat Scene
    • Omaha Montage
    • Spacesuit
  • [*]Trailers

The Blu-ray includes all of the above in high definition, plus:

• Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Jason Reitman (HD)
    • Do You Live At The Hilton?
    • Nosey Neighbor
    • Natalie In Restroom
    • Natalie Vid-Chats
    • Angry Ryan Checks In
    • Goalquest Invite
    • Maynard Finch Commercial/Kara Calls Ryan
    • Barely Squeaking By/Natalie Calls
  • [*]“Help Yourself” music video by Sad Brad (HD)[*]Storyboards (HD)[*]American Airlines Prank (HD)

The critically acclaimed soundtrack to UP IN THE AIR is available now from Rhino and includes the riveting “Help Yourself” from Sad Brad Smith as well as tracks from Elliot Smith, Dan Auerbach, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

About Paramount Home Entertainment 
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

UP IN THE AIR
Street Date:   March 9, 2010
Pricing:   $19.99 U.S. (DVD)
                 $29.99 U.S. (Blu-ray)
Runtime:    109 minutes
U.S. Rating: R for language and some sexual content
Canadian Rating: 14A for coarse language and nudity  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 02:27 AM

Fantastic film.  One of my favorites of the past year.

Just not certain I am going to purchase this on Blu-ray
at a $28 (at Amazon) price point.

I had thought most studios were releasing their new
releases at about $5 cheaper than this.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 8 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 16 2010 - 03:10 AM

^ If the MSRP is $30, there's no way that the price won't go down more at Amazon.

#4 of 8 Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 07:13 PM

I have never understood the logic behind the pricing pattern on Amazon. It seems that they price BDs not based on the MSRP, but rather based on their own assessment of what people will pay for a certain title. Or else how can one explain the price of this title which has a MSRP of $29.99, while titles that have a MSRP of $39.99 are quite regularly priced at around $23.99.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

#5 of 8 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 17 2010 - 03:27 AM

Quote:
 It seems that they price BDs not based on the MSRP, but rather based on their own assessment of what people will pay for a certain title.

It seems like they price high and lower until they see people bite.  They are a business, and the business of any business is maximizing profits.  

While Universal has gone the "Combo" route on some titles, a lot of credit has to be given to their lower MSRP and resulting street prices.  Didn't catch this in the theater and look forward to seeing it on Blu-ray.

#6 of 8 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 24 2010 - 09:22 AM

We just posted an interview with both Jason Reitman the director and Vera Farmiga who plays Alex here: http://www.hometheat...the-air-blu-ray  The interview in the product wiki at the bottom of the page.

#7 of 8 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted March 13 2010 - 10:29 PM

Just watched this wonderful film on Blu-ray for the first time, and that just showed me how in some cases, my home theater experience is better than the theatrical experience.

Let me explain: I don't get out to go to movies much anymore due to my schedule, so normally I only go to "event movies" at my local cinemas. Luckily, living in Los Angeles, my local cinemas are like the Mann Chinese/Village/Bruin, along with any number of nice, new multiplexes complete with digital projection and stadium seating. In those cases, the quality of the presentation is top notch and my BD + 60" SXRD can't compare with that.

However, I wasn't able to see Up in the Air in the theater until almost the end of its run, which is to say about a month ago. I saw it at a decent multiplex, built in the last five years with stadium seating, but I saw a film projection that had clear signs of wear (film spots), noticeable gate weave, and a softness to the picture (as if someone had not properly focused the projector carefully). I noticed all of these things while watching Up in the Air, and am happy to say that the BD experience I just had showed none of those problems. The only thing the home experience couldn't match is the screen size, but with a much sharper (than what I saw projected) picture, and no film wear or gate weave, it's a tradeoff I'd make every time.

Audio quality was comparable to the theatrical experience. It's a dialogue-heavy film so not a whole lot to write home about.

/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif">

#8 of 8 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 15 2010 - 09:23 AM

Pretty good movie, I thought. One thing I don't get is Vera Farmiga's nomination. I thought she did a good job and all but nothing that stood out as extraordinary and oscar worthy. On the other hand, Anna Kendrick was incredible. Wow, I was blown away with her performance. Anyway, Jason Reitman is 3 for 3 in my book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users