Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Windows Phone 7 Series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 of 70 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,608 posts

Posted October 25 2010 - 12:41 PM

I was referring to the tech press at large, not the Apple fanboys 

#62 of 70 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,775 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 25 2010 - 06:53 PM

http://www.suntimes....-102310.article

Andy Ihnatko's review. I like Andy. He's a consistent and seemingly thoughtful and honest reviewer. And if something is badly designed or implemented, he says so. And on WP7, he writes: 

Quote:

The rest of the interface is a true design marvel.

Ah, but he also writes:

Quote:

I’ve been dancing around the question of how useful this demo handset is as an actual smartphone. The coin’s still up in the air. Windows Phone 7 has a long list of downsides:

(Quote weirdness courtesy of Huddler, not my copy/paste ability

#63 of 70 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,608 posts

Posted October 26 2010 - 06:49 AM

I find these WP7 reviews disingenuous because there's no way in hell any of these reviewers would even contemplate using a WP7 phone as a daily driver because it's just not capable of doing basic things like copy paste and multi-tasking. What current iPhone or Androird owner in their right mind would contemplate using a phone that requires you to reload a third party app every time you unlock the screen?  It's sheer madness.  If Android had any one of these limitations, the reviewers would have pilloried the OS.   Bottom line -- if you've never owned a smart phone before, perhaps you wouldn't know what you're missing.  But these people aren't writing reviews for novices.  So please, stop blowing smoke up my ass.  Your readers deserve better than that.

#64 of 70 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,775 posts

Posted October 26 2010 - 07:50 AM

So I think Ihnatko commented on all these things you're talking about.   I agree that Copy/Paste and multitasking are now table stakes. But, for example. Paul Thurott, of WinSuperSite says that no one uses Copy/Paste so who cares? There is a diversity of opinion.   It may be moot shortly: c/p should be out early next year. Multitasking will likely follow soon. It sounds like they're doing as Apple did: start with limited functionality and add it subsequently. But they don't have three years, they've got closer to 3 months to do that iteration and catch up.

#65 of 70 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,608 posts

Posted October 26 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thurott is worse than Mossberg when it comes to homerism.  I use copy/paste frequently.  To say no one uses isn't a matter of opinion, it's simply counter-factual.   If you're going to review a phone based on what might happen in the future, you're grasping at straws.  Vaporware is the most common tech product.   If Ihnatko were being honest, he would call a spade a spade and call these things deal-breakers.  Instead, he tosses them off as, "oh, by the way's".  

#66 of 70 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 26 2010 - 11:26 AM

Several deal breakers, not the least of which is that you apparently cannot change your ringtones to something custom.  Holy cow.  I was doing that with MP3s on my blackberry....8700G!  And before that on my Motorola Razr V1...   The copy and paste thing is something I use frequently on my blackberry, and have found it useful to move information from one email account to another, etc.. and it has been flawless.  And despite all the crawing about this, I can't think of any blackberry I've ever owned where copy/paste wasn't a function, and I've carried one for 5+ years.   Copy paste also comes in handy for basic document setups.  There are times where I need to edit something and send it back to myself, and without copy paste from email, it would be difficult.     I sat and played some with the WP7 today and there are quite a few things I really like about it.   It has a very smooth display, the tile system is very straightforward, and it's surprisingly responsive.   But again, it has two big negatives that count to me as most important in a cell phone:  Speakerphone functionality is crap, and you can't setup more then 1 Microsoft Exchange server that I found (yes, I could setup the others as IMAP, but I lose a lot with that, especially with meeting acceptance and scheduling).    
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#67 of 70 OFFLINE   schwa

schwa

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted April 10 2011 - 07:55 PM

You really provide lots of urls. Well, it is not easy to admire the windows phone, to be frank.  http://www.videoconv...deo-converter/'>RE: Nokia is the most convenient, in my opinion!

#68 of 70 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,775 posts

Posted May 31 2011 - 01:12 PM

Good review. Highlights some interesting comparisons to the iOS way of doing things. I'm a bit envious of the word-replacement tool; that looks easier and more efficient.   http://ignorethecode...indows_phone_7/  

#69 of 70 OFFLINE   Gretchynvaughn

Gretchynvaughn

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 07:35 PM

I would like to know what handset is being used in the video link here: if an image is needed there is one here: Thanks for your help http://www.zimbio.co...ke off Unwanted

#70 of 70 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,047 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 13 2013 - 10:24 AM

I guess we don't have any other general purpose windows phone threads?Stay classy MS:http://www.macrumors...tionable-taste/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#71 of 70 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,047 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 13 2013 - 02:08 PM

And pulled. Derp.http://thenextweb.co...-mocking-apple/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules