Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Saving Private Ryan (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 05:14 AM

STEVEN SPIELBERG’S ACCLAIMED FILM ARRIVES ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME 

saving private ryan

Critically-Acclaimed Film Makes Its Highly-Anticipated Blu-ray Debut May 4, 2010 as Part of Paramount’s Prestigious “Sapphire Series” 

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – Director Steven Spielberg’s critically-lauded WWII epic SAVING PRIVATE RYAN will make its long-awaited high definition debut when it arrives on two-disc Blu-ray May 4, 2010 as the latest addition to Paramount Home Entertainment’s exclusive “Sapphire Series.”  One of the top 10 most anticipated releases on Blu-ray according to Amazon.com, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, a DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures co-production, won five Academy Awards®, including Best Director (Steven Spielberg), and two Golden Globes®, including Best Director and Best Motion Picture—Drama, and was named by the AFI as one of its 100 Greatest American Movies.  Boasting a stellar cast headed by Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore, Ted Danson, Giovanni Ribisi, Vin Diesel, Paul Giamatti and Barry Pepper, the film is widely considered one of the greatest war films ever made and was hailed by critics and audiences alike throughout the world.
   The SAVING PRIVATE RYAN two-disc Blu-ray includes over three hours of bonus features that take viewers into the past for a look at the real-life events that inspired the film and behind-the-scenes to explore the challenges of bringing that past to life.  The film is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital along with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Special features are presented in standard definition except where noted HD:

• An Introduction—Director Steven Spielberg discusses his interest in WWII and how it led him to make the film.
  • Looking Into the Past—Steven Spielberg explains the research done for the film, the evolution of the screenplay and his intentions.
  • Miller and his Platoon—Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and other cast members introduce the different characters and how the actors worked together.
  • Boot Camp—Memories from the cast about the intense boot camp they went through with Captain Dale Dye.
  • Making Saving Private Ryan—Steven Spielberg and his collaborators discuss the look of the film, the production design, the costumes and the photography.
  • Re-creating Omaha Beach—A look at how the filmmakers re-created this historical event.
  • Music and Sound—Discussion with the team that edited, scored and brought sound to the film.
  • Parting Thoughts—Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks share their final thoughts on the experience of making the film.
  • Into the Breach: Saving Private Ryan—A 25-minute documentary with the cast and crew.
  • Shooting War—Tom Hanks hosts and narrates this documentary on WWII combat photographers in Europe and the Pacific theater of war.
  • Theatrical Trailer (HD)
  • Re-Release Trailer (HD)

• About Paramount Home Entertainment 
    Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN Blu-ray – Sapphire Series
    Street date:   May 4, 2010
    Pricing:  $39.99 U.S.
    Runtime:  169 minutes
    U.S. Rating: R for intense prolonged realistically graphic sequences of war violence, and for language

Canadian Rating: 14A 

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 05:15 AM

You can preorder the title here

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 05:15 AM

See you on the beach.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Chris_T

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted February 13 2010 - 01:26 PM

Already preordered.  Can't wait.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
    • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 14 2010 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
    The film is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
    Oooooooh.  I can only imagine.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
    • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 14 2010 - 07:12 AM

Price is a bit steep, but if it is like the other Sapphire series releases, it will come down closer to the release date.  In that case, it looks like a great release, with great special features.

Can't wait!!

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 06:32 AM

It might also come w/ a $10 upgrade rebate (like the other previous Sapphire Series releases) for those who don't mind cutting out the UPC proof-of-purchase from the back cover.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
    It might also come w/ a $10 upgrade rebate (like the other previous Sapphire Series releases) for those who don't mind cutting out the UPC proof-of-purchase from the back cover.

Like the one I sent in for "Forrest Gump" months ago and still have not received?

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillG 

Like the one I sent in for "Forrest Gump" months ago and still have not received?
    I got mine for Braveheart.

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
    • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 20 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hmmmm.  Amazon has just bumped the pre-order price from $24.99 to $25.99.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted February 20 2010 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Hmmmm.  Amazon has just bumped the pre-order price from $24.99 to $25.99.

I expect the price to change again as we get closer to the release date.  Personally, I'm thinking of getting the UK release which is one week earlier and it's slightly cheaper with the shipping costs included.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
    • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 06 2010 - 01:15 PM

Price has just dropped back down to $24.99 from a high watermark of $27.99.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
    • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 06 2010 - 01:30 PM

Is there a rebate included or no?

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#14 of 24 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 01:38 PM

No rebate, but both Amazon and Best Buy are currently selling it for $19.99.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
    • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 06 2010 - 01:44 PM

I got lucky.  I swore I had preordered it at 22.99 from Amazon.  When it didn't come on Tuesday I discovered I had never actually ordered it and the price was down to $19.99.  I just finished watching it.  I forgot how powerful it was.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 12:29 AM

I picked it up yesterday at Best Buy for $19.99. It was one of the rare times when Best Buy actually was. Even Wal-Mart was $5 higher!

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted May 07 2010 - 12:32 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

I got lucky.  I swore I had preordered it at 22.99 from Amazon.  When it didn't come on Tuesday I discovered I had never actually ordered it and the price was down to $19.99.  I just finished watching it.  I forgot how powerful it was.
    With Amazon's pre-order guarantee you still would have paid $19.99. I was automatically credited $3 by Amazon on my order for this reason.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted May 07 2010 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield View Post

With Amazon's pre-order guarantee you still would have paid $19.99. I was automatically credited $3 by Amazon on my order for this reason.

Same with me.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
    • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 07 2010 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

Thats good to know with this title.  There have been some titles recently where the price drops on Tuesday so it is no longer a "pre-order" so you don't get the difference.

#20 of 24 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 09:18 AM

Oh now that's just rotten. I've noticed that a lot of the price drops on Amazon recently have been coming on Tuesday, as opposed to the days before release. If that's how they're getting around their pre-order price match policy, that stinks! (note: this hasn't happened to me yet, just speculating based on patterns I've seen with regards to timing of recent price drops and Adam's comment)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Thats good to know with this title.  There have been some titles recently where the price drops on Tuesday so it is no longer a "pre-order" so you don't get the difference.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)