What's new

Snow? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
How much does everyone have? I might get 1-3 inches on Friday, I better go buy some milk and bread!

mylan

Screenwriter
None, nada, not even a flake. I guess we should be happy here in Northern Georgia are not having the same blizzard gripping most of the east coast but I would like to see some snow. The funny thing is that tomorrow south of here in Atlanta and Macon may see an inch or two.

B.T.W. Steve, noticing your avatar, are you in GA or just a fan?

Sam, loved the time lapse...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
We've got a total of something like 4 feet on the ground N/W of Washington DC. It's pretty amazing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dallas, Texas. The radio is saying it'll finish up around 6 to 8 inches. I don't know if I've ever seen that much. Looking out, I'd guess it's at about 4 inches now. It's starting to accumulate on the pavement, which it hadn't been doing until about an hour ago (and it's been snowing since early in the morning--2 or 3am-ish).

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
3 feet or so here in Pittsburgh. All I know is I'm really sick of shoveling. I didn't go anywhere last weekend because the plow failed to do our alley, which is where I access my car. I didn't miss a day of work this week, even though I can work remotely if I wanted to. Daycare only closed two days, and I have backup daycare. All in all a big disruption but I never felt endangered. Just sore from shoveling!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Here in NYC people start to panic every time the weatherman announces some precip; it's like people have never seen the stuff before. I was looking forward to a couple of feet(!) of the powder and maybe make it a snow day and stay home but we only got a couple of inches that peetered out to sleet by the time it was over. Boring! Astoundingly, some of the local retailers decided to close shop so I trek all the way downtown to J&R Music World to discover that they were closed. What a waste

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I live just North of Baltimore. 25 inches last Saturday and another 28 inches Wednesday. I fucking hate snow...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For those of you who live in areas with regular snow, I have a serious question. When I was outside earlier, I was looking down and saw this weird shifting of colors in the snow. I looked up and saw a blue flash in the sky, sort of like the aurora borealis (or kind of like lightning), but I'm in Texas and there was no lightning. Is this a known phenomenon? Did it really happen, or was this some kind of optical illusion? I looked up snow blindness, and I doubt if it applies. This happened at night (though it's supposedly a delayed effect), and there was no bright sunlight today. All I know is, it was weird and a little discomforting.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The snow can act like a prism and have the prismatic/rainbow effect, though can't be for sure that is the shifting of colors in the snow. As far as the blue flash in the sky, there is snow thunderstorms where you can get lightning and thunder during a snowstorm. I've seen/heard it before and it is pretty cool and pretty scary just cause you're not expecting it.

As far as the flash goes, it could just be reflecting some kind of blue light, especially if it was snowing at the time. When there is snow on the ground and a full moon, you nary need headlights or flashlights to see cause the white is really reflective. That is the COOLest thing when I'm night hiking in winter, the lack of needing a headlamp, it is one of the most favorite hiking moments when in the woods...

Jay

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Another phenomena associated with snow that I experienced for the first time this past week was THUNDERSNOW...that was pretty cool, but I am over it now.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Like fall foliage, snow is nice to look at in the suburbs, but not so when it comes to removal.

Richard_T

Second Unit
I thought it was us Canadians that lived in igloos. I'm in the Hamilton Ontario area and we have almost nothing! We've had a few pretty cold days but overall it's been darn mild this year.

Any other Canadians want to chime in?

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I'm in Louisville and we have about 5" now but a couple of days ago we had about 7". I believe we are suppose to get a couple more inches this weekend and it is really cold so I don't expect it to go anywhere soon. I kind of like the snow. We don't get it that often and if it is going to be cold we might as well have snow on the ground.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
By tonight there should be snow on the ground in all 50 states:
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11973034

mylan

Screenwriter
It has just started here in north Georgia after dusting even parts of Florida. It is rare but the southern part of the state is supposed to get 4" and we might get 2".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't believe we actually got a nice bit of snow in the ATL, as I didn't really think much about it because I didn't want to be disappointed when it didn't materialize, but it showed up and made for a nice coat of snow on all the cars. I wonder how bad it'll be tomorrow, hoping the temperature doesn't stay below freezing, or I'm stuck at home all weekend long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks