What's new

RIP Captian Phil Harris "The Deadliest Catch" (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thats too bad. I have to say it wasn't unexpected.He chained smoked, ate bad and had a real stressful job. He got the job done, but you could tell he was killing himself.

It is a sad day.

RIP Captain.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Next week's episode deals with the incident that ultimately leads to Phil's death.

Pretty somber episode this week with Jake's revelation.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Plus last night on After the Catch the Capitan's and Mike met at a in New Orleans jazz bar and discussed many things including his passing. They gave him a hearty goodbye remembrance toast.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
After last season he was lucky to be alive, but his lifestyle never changed. He will be missed. I read this story months ago. Not sure what the family chose to be aired.

Apparently the crew was in his hospital room at one point when he was awake. They all has been on his boat for years and were upset. They told him they would leave and give him some peace but he told them to stay and wrap up his story

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I always had a dislike for Jake. He always came across as a slacker and had a smug look on his face. What really sealed the deal was his pittiful whining at the end of this weeks episode. He was caught red handed and his only response was "I love you dad".

It is too bad his drug problem is probably what lead to his dad's death. I am sure more stress is not what he needed in his life.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a depressing show last night. Between the missing dad and Phil's son and medical problems I was pretty bummed out. As a show that I began watching years ago just for fun has now become a show that I am intimately involved with and love.

I know this show was taped months ago so does anyone know whatever happened to the missing dad?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=7797.0

Scroll down to the last reply..

Sounds like as of Jun 17th, Keith Anderson is still considered Missing and has not been found...

Jay

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Well I was really hoping some information on this case had leaked out.

The previews for next week seem to show Phil looking a lot better. Does anyone know when those seems where taped and when he actually passed away? I know he is gone but I still dread watching eveyone week and wondering if this is the week it all ends.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that Phil looked like he was getting better and then he passed.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned before, there cameras were there and he was speaking in his last moments, however, I'm not sure how much the family has allowed to be released. To be honest, it was emotional to watch because I've seen every season so far.

What a great guy. Especially when he told his son last week that he would go with him to his rehab.

I didn't know that John Hillstrand and Phil were so close. In an after the catch when they were showing a clip of Phil and John riding motorcycles together John became pretty emotional and had to walk off the set to be alone.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
I didn't know that John Hillstrand and Phil were so close. In an after the catch when they were showing a clip of Phil and John riding motorcycles together John became pretty emotional and had to walk off the set to be alone.

I have been really surprised this season to see how close these guys really are and how much they care for each other. I didn't expect them to not like each other but it seems like this season they have taken the competition out of the show and just showed how much they are all like family. I like some reality TV but in IMO this has been the best season of reality TV ever. I truly feel like we are seeing life thru their eyes and it is amazing.

I LOVE Survivor but it has absolutely nothing on this show especially this season. I know they are not even close to the same show but I am just comparing what is called reality TV.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown

I have been really surprised this season to see how close these guys really are and how much they care for each other. I didn't expect them to not like each other but it seems like this season they have taken the competition out of the show and just showed how much they are all like family. I like some reality TV but in IMO this has been the best season of reality TV ever. I truly feel like we are seeing life thru their eyes and it is amazing.

I LOVE Survivor but it has absolutely nothing on this show especially this season. I know they are not even close to the same show but I am just comparing what is called reality TV.

I think I've read before that some boats are actually partners - while not being shown for several seasons now, I believe that the Maverick is a partner boat with the Cornelia Marie.

I was kind of surprised too when I first saw it, but after thinking about it, theirs is a pretty close-knit business - they'd certainly have interacted long before the advent of the show, and since then all the filming of promotions they'd have plenty of time to get to know each other. But it was still cool to see.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Very touching episode. The "After the Catch" was a great tribute. It stayed up-beat most of the time which was a good thing. It made it a celebration instead of a pity party.

I am getting a little disgusted with the Discovery Network for milking Phil's death for all it's worth as far as promos go. They made this weeks episode sound like it would be the one where everyone is dealing with the news. But is reality, he didn't die until the end of the episode, so now the network gets another week of milk.

I am also not surprised the little junkie bailed on his dad when he needed him. It was just like him to get high so he didn't have do deal, then when he was confronted, he bailed into re-hab to get away. He is such a cockroach.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It was just like him to get high so he didn't have do deal, then when he was confronted, he bailed into re-hab to get away.

"To get away"? To get away from what? Phil was getting better when Jake checked himself into rehab. Also doing that isn't like taking a vacation. You don't plan it advance and you can't put it off if other things come up. Up until the moment he disgraced himself in front of Josh and really came face to face with himself, Jake was denying that he was an addict, that he had a problem or that there was anything wrong with his using. In fact, he defended his actions to Josh. But after that he finally hit his own personal "rock bottom" - and that's when he had to go into rehab. If an addict doesn't seize that moment to deal with the problem, he's going to go back to using. That's simply the reality. There's a brief window when the addict, the drunk, the gambler is vulnerable and ready to accept help. And that's when he has to go. Otherwise the moment will pass, he'll convince himself that things aren't that bad again, and the process will start again. Trust me. I know addicts. Jake did the right thing, for the right reasons, at the right time, and he did it with Phil's support and blessing.

Jake did it when it looked like Phil was out of the woods, and would be getting out of the hospital and going into a kind of rehab himself. (In another state where staying with him full time while keeping his fishing business going would be a lot harder for both boys. Odds are that wouldn't have happened in any case.) If anything it looked like the perfect time for Josh to finally to go off and deal with his own issue for 30 or 90 days, so that he'd be of some use to somebody when Phil was ready to come home and start building himself up to go back to work. (Or, failing that, to be of some use in the business himself.) Nobody was expecting Phil to suffer another stroke. Even Josh was caught flat-footed, there in the car having just left his apparently rebounding father.)

Regards,

Joe

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Joe, my old nemesis. LOL

I was mainly peeved at the little brat getting high when his father was in critical condition. As far as him going to rehab (which I doubt he really did), my opinion is this... If he wasn't such a dumb, weak little bastard to begin with (becoming a junkie), going to rehab would not have even been an issue that need to come up and he could have stayed the last few hours with his dad.

I was hoping a praying that the older brother was going to smack the smug off the junkie punks face. :)

P.S. If crab fishing is so freakin dangerous, would you want a junkie working with you?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
So from what I thought I heard on After the Catch. Josh was going to work on the Time Bandit and Jake was going to the Northwestern? Then try to find a way of buying out the Cornelia Marie? I was thinking since the Time Bandit has 2 or 3 captains. That the both boys would stay on the CM and John Hillestrand would Captain it until one of the boys is ready.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I thought they said they were going to look out for them, meaning that if it came to it they would each take one on their boat so the kids could be on a profitable boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks