What's new

WHV Announcement: Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm really hoping that the Hanna-Barbara version of Wildfire, Space Stars, Shirt Tales, would be included along with Ruby Spears Space Ace and Goldie Gold might be included.

I really didn't think that these WB Hanna Barbara specials would get access to some of the Ruby Spears programs.

Hmm. Maybe Gilligan's Planet as well.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
As was pointed out on another forum, you can read the copyright at the bottom of the poster, and see the other 5 shows not shown on the cover - making the 11 total shows.
Personally, I'm happy to see Goldie Gold on there, but there are lots of other early 80's
stuff i guess i'll have to be hoping for Vol.2

"Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos"
"Galtar and the Golden Lance"
"Goldie Gold and Action Jack"
"The Biskitts"
"The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley"

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3531137&postcount=16

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
only 4 hours on 2 DVDs? The other sets had at least 5 hours per set including '70s Vol 1 that had nearly 6 hours. Why be so tight with the shows? Give us more Mr. T and give us the Chuck Norris action. They only made 5 of the Chuck Norris so they could put the entire series on top a Vol. 1 & 2 collection without taking up that much disc space - but making sure that Chuck Norris fans will grab these sets to have 'em all.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well... interesting list. Then again, a lot of the stuff that I watched avidly as a kid (Super Friends et al.) is either already out on DVD or still holding. This will be a nice sampler of stuff I haven't seen in a while or never seen. Must say, of all the shows, I'm hoping Flintstone Kids is the one that will eventually get the season sets treatment.

Just really hoping the 60s and 70s sets haven't been completely abandoned yet, since I was really enjoying those.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Do you guys think we'll still get a Saturday Morning in the 70's volume 3 yet? I was thinking that the news on that would be paired with the 80's edition.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
P.S. I guess we should be thankful. Remember, there is a recession going on.

I'd like to think that the WB is gauging how popular which shows are on which set, so they can see what series might be worth putting out full season sets. At least that's what I hope they are doing.

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by JamesSmith
Do you guys think we'll still get a Saturday Morning in the 70's volume 3 yet? I was thinking that the news on that would be paired with the 80's edition.
I hope so, but i'd be more confident if WHV announced it at the same time as the 80's vol.1
One the season set front, i'm not holding my breath. Most of these shows won't sell on
their own enough for that to happen, i'm afraid. Although I'd love to have sets,
especially Goldie Gold, but i'm not counting on it.

It makes you wonder how long DVD as a viable format has left. With convergence of home
computers and media, I can imagine a day when downloads replace physical media.

-g

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I think the answer is no they are not since they already did season sets before this likely means that due to declining sales they have given up on season sets and are going this route to use unused material that they have left. When these stop selling it will probably be the end of Saturday Morning shows for WB on DVD.

Originally Posted by JamesSmith

P.S. I guess we should be thankful. Remember, there is a recession going on.

I'd like to think that the WB is gauging how popular which shows are on which set, so they can see what series might be worth putting out full season sets. At least that's what I hope they are doing.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
There's about several hundred animated cartoons that were produced for Saturday Morning from the 60's to the 80's. You might want to the check the great cartoon database for more information. Might also want to point out that some series were repeated over the years. The Bugs Bunny Show ran about fifteen years on CBS/ABC and that cut down quite a bit on new shows required for Saturday Mornings. Also some popular shows just reran existing series a second year, or maybe with just a bare minimum of episodes for the sophomore season. The second year of the animated Star Trek just had 6 shows.

In the Eighties, NBC had quite a few ratings winners when they produced both the Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks for about seven to eight years.

Going back to the eighties:

There's still:

Space Ace
Wildfir
e (loved the theme song)
Fangface
The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo
Space Stars
(New episodes of Space Ghost, Herculoids, Astro,
Pirates of Darkwater
Johnny Quest
(80's series)

There's still more unreleased animated DVD programs from that era, than released ones yet.

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by DeWilson

So what is the complete list of shows?
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thundarr-Barbarian-Saturday-Morning-Cartoons-1980s-V1/13326

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I would have thought an episode of the Flintstone Comedy Show might have made the Vol 1 set. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_Comedy_Show_(1980)

So I suppose there is still hope of seeing a complete set, it may someday be in the works,
and that sure would be great. I wouldn't want to see that show spilt up into the individual parts, it's much better to watch as a complete show.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WARNER HOME VIDEO BRINGS A COLLECTION OF POPULAR ‘80s CARTOONS TO DVD WITH THE RELEASE OF SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS 1980s ON DVD MAY 4, 2010 Featured Series Include Monchhichis, Kwicky Koala Show, Thundarr the Barbarian, Mister T and Many Others Collection Features Over Four Hours of TV Cartoon Favorites on a Two-Disc Set Plus All-New Enhanced Content BURBANK, CA (February 26, 2010) – The decade that brought us mullets, new-wave music and Pac-Man also gave birth to some of the most unforgettable cartoons on TV. Warner Home Video (WHV) pays tribute to the ‘80s by releasing some of the most entertaining and colorful animation from that time with Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s, the latest installment from the Saturday Morning Cartoons library, which will be available in stores May 4, 2010. This new collection features an eclectic mix of rare and popular cartoons the whole family can enjoy. The compilation features 11 shows on two discs for over four hours of delightful animation!Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s will retail for $26.99 SRP. Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s features a diverse collection of 11 different shows. Disc one, showcases such favorites as Goldie Gold & Action Jack, Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos, The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley, The Flintstone Kids, and Mister T. Disc two features such memorable shows as The Biskitts, Monchhichis, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Dragon’s Lair, Thundarr the Barbarian and Kwicky Koala Show. New and existing fans will exclaim “lords of light!” as they watch Thundarr the Barbarian battle the two-headed wizard Gemini in an episode titled Secret of the Black Pearl. Chuck Norris clashes against The Claw in episode titled Deadly Dolphin on Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos. Ed Grimley, the beloved character from Saturday Night Live and SCTV fills in for his cousin driving a cab in an episode titled Tall, Dark & Hansom onThe Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley. Fearless Galtar uses sword and sorcery to protect Princess Goleeta from evil Lord Tormac on an episode titled Galtar and the Princess on Galtar and the Golden Lance. Skilled knight Dirk gives Daphne, his love, a golden bird which comes to life and carries her off to the dragon’s lair on an episode titled Tale of the Enchanted Gift on Dragon’s Lair, the animated series based on the popular video game of the same name. This and many other series/episodes are featured on Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s. “The ‘80s brought us some of the most diverse and entertaining cartoons in TV history, and our goal was to put together a fun, comprehensive sampler that gives an accurate representation of what families saw on their television sets when they tuned in during Saturday mornings two decades ago,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brand Marketing. The previous Saturday Morning Cartoons volumes we’ve released were a big hit with fans. Our aim is to continue mining our vaults for classic animation that will please the diverse tastes of consumers everywhere.” Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s also includes the enhanced content piece Lords of Light! Thundarr the Barbarian – Explore the Animated Origins of this Timeless Hero and Why His Popular Series Still Resonates Today. Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s Volume 1 and Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 1, as well as Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s Volume 2 and Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 are also available in stores now from WHV. The Credits Warner Bros. Animation has been producing award-winning original animation since 1930, when it released its first cartoon, “Sinkin' in the Bathtub.” Since then, Warner Bros. Animation’s characters have set the standard for innovative, quality animation. Producing for network and cable television, online, home entertainment and feature films both domestically and internationally, Warner Bros. Animation is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as maintaining the studio’s rich cartoon heritage. Warner Bros. Animation also oversees the creative use of, and production of animated programming based on classic animated characters from the Hanna-Barbera and DC Comics libraries. Warner Bros. Animation is one of the most honored animation studios in history, garnering a grand total of six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, a Humanitas Award, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation). About Warner Home Video With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment. About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution, interactive entertainment/videogames, direct-to-DVD production, technical operations and anti-piracy businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. WBHEG is responsible for the global distribution of content through DVD, electronic sell-through and VOD, and delivery of theatrical content to wireless and online channels, and is also a significant worldwide publisher for both internal and third party videogame titles.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Okay guys.

Some people have not been happy with the selection of choices for the 80's volume 1. Just what cartoons should have been included in this volume. Remember, if you don't buy the first set, there may not be others in the subsequent editions.

Would an episode of Smurfs made it better? The ShirtTales? Wildfire? Gilligan's Planet? The Pirates of DarkWater?

What

James

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Beetlejuice would have been desirable, for one. Also, the Snorks, an 80's episode of The Jetsons, Pac-Man, Silverhawks. The 80's Yogi Bear cartoon. one of the Looney Tunes Saturday Morning compilations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks