Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1980s Volume 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thundarr, Dragon's Lair, Flintstone Kids, Mr. T., and Monchchis will be on DVD soon.  I'd prefer complete series releases, but I'll probably buy this.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Flintstone-Kids-Saturday-Morning-Cartoons-1980s-V1/13320

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 01:26 PM

Not a big fan of (North American) TV cartoons from the 1980s, but I'd buy it if they included some episodes of Beetlejuice (provided they're not the exact same cartoons already released on the Beetlejuice movie SE), The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show (since Warner owns the video rights to the Peanuts specials, maybe they could release this), Pac-Man, Yogi's Treasure Hunt and the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (the latter two are of interest to me because they feature the work of future big names like Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky & The Brain/Freakazoid!/Batman: The Animated Series producer Tom Ruegger and Angry Beavers creator Mitch Schauer).

If they could come to terms with the respective video game companies (if need be), they might as well include at least a few cartoons from Saturday Supercade, if only because characters like Mario and Donkey Kong are uber-well-known.

It also might be interesting if they include a few cartoons from the 1988 New Yogi Bear Show.

Filmation's the Tom & Jerry Comedy Hour is like the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of animation: so bad it's actually kinda funny.  And hopefully, if included, someone (like the MST3K veterans who do Rifftrax) could make an audio commentary MST3K-style on an MP3.

Anybody remember Turbo Teen?  It only sits out in my mind because Cartoon Network used to do ads that mocked it, which should tell you all you need to know about its quality.  But, I suppose it should be included simply because it's almost achieved a certain level of infamy.

And call me crazy, but if they included an episode of the Snorks, I wouldn't oppose.

But what would really excite would be a 90s Saturday Morning Cartoons set.  I'm very partial to the WB and Cartoon Network shows of the '90s, like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Taz-Mania, 2 Stupid Dogs, What-A-Cartoon!, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, etc.

Warners: Please release the rest of Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, all of Road Rovers, Histeria, Cow & Chicken, Saturday Pants, Pinky Elmyra & The Brain, Tiny Toons Night Ghoulery & Spring Break specials, Wakko's Wish and a complete uncut Tex Avery set (with correct colors and NO DVNR)

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see some Saturday Supercade cartoons make it on there.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 05:56 PM

It has some pretty good ones in this set, now if it has an episode of pac man , it becomes a must buy.

At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 08:50 PM

Demon Dogs! I hope Thundarr gets a complete release down the line.

Both Turbo Teen and Monchichis have been skewered by Robot Chicken in recent years.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,477 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:48 AM

Yeah I really hope Thundarr gets its own set. IMHO Saturday Morning cartoons hit rock bottom in the 80's so I will not be getting this even though I do want Thundarr. And even though I bought the 60's and 70's sets I really wish they would go back to season sets of one show. I'm not a fan of best of's.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 03:05 AM

Yeah I really hope Thundarr gets its own set. IMHO Saturday Morning cartoons hit rock bottom in the 80's so I will not be getting this even though I do want Thundarr. And even though I bought the 60's and 70's sets I really wish they would go back to season sets of one show. I'm not a fan of best of's.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

I am in an agreement with your Randy. I am not the tad bit interested in the 1980s cartoons. I am more into 1970s cartoons along with complete box sets. I do not like to be tease with one episode and would rather have the complete set. Hopefully in April when Warner Home Video Schedules a New TV/Animation Online Chat with the Home Theater Forum then we will get a good indication of the direction of the studio. I do remember hearing that the 1960s set did not sell well and there was going to be Volume #3 for 1970s cartoons and they were going to try 1980s cartoons. However, my initial suspicions are that 1980s will not sell very well.

I think they should focus more on the 1970s era, because that is when saturday morning cartoons were the most populous and that would target people aged 36-45 or 1964-1975 birth years.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 04:23 AM

Oh shit! Thundar? Mister T? Dragon's Lair?!? I am *SO* over this release! Brilliant!

So is there only going to be one episode each, or should we get a couple of 'em on there? If not, I assume that Volume 1 means that we'll get more T and Ookla in a another set?

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Papagiorgio 

Thundarr,...
Sells it to me.  Cant' wait to see that one again.  

I have only one of these, 1970s Vol 2.  Can't wait to give it a look.  I'll most likely pick up all of these.  

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 06:17 AM

That squares it, I'm done.

What is the deal with these compilations?  WB said in a chat years ago that Thundarr was being considered for release.  Well, we finally got it.  One(2 at most) episodes on another stupid compilation disc.  These volumes must be selling pretty decent for WB to keep firing them out of a canon into consumers hands.

I long for the days of complete series sets on dvd.  A short lived cartoon  like Thundarr would be perfect. 

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

That squares it, I'm done.

What is the deal with these compilations?  WB said in a chat years ago that Thundarr was being considered for release.  Well, we finally got it.  One(2 at most) episodes on another stupid compilation disc.  These volumes must be selling pretty decent for WB to keep firing them out of a canon into consumers hands.

I long for the days of complete series sets on dvd.  A short lived cartoon  like Thundarr would be perfect. 

I hear you Bryan! I want THE ENTIRE SERIES, not just a handful of "Best OF" Episodes. Also why should I have to purchase a bunch of shows I'm not interested in just to get one I want!/img/vbsmilies/htf/furious.gif

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 10:06 AM

It appears that the 11 shows that will be on the set (at least for now) are:

Thundarr the Barbarian
Mr. T
The Kwicky Koala Show
Flintstone Kids
Dragon's Lair
Monchichis
Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos
Galtar and the Golden Lance
Goldie Gold and Action Jack
The Biskitts
The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley

I do hope some day Thundarr and Dragon's Lair have complete releases.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted February 13 2010 - 10:50 AM

It is so sad, I must say, that "ED GRIMLEY" isn't getting it's own series collection.  I would have been all over that, and gimme a break, how great would that have been - you know, to walk into the Best Buy and say, "Excuse me, where might I find the Ed Grimley show?" and there it would be, right in front of me!   And wouldn't it be wonderful to sit it next to that marvelous home game of "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"?

Oh, woe, I suppose the chances of a complete series set of this show is as doomed as doomed can be!

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted February 14 2010 - 04:43 PM

I'm glad I taped The Ed Grimley series when it aired on cable a few years ago.  I was surprised how good it was.  I had never watched it because I always hated Grimley since I saw him on SCTV in the early 80's but I liked him in cartoon form.  What a great voice cast Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Catherine O'Hara, Joe Flaherty and Jonathan Winters! 

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 15 2010 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck 

It is so sad, I must say, that "ED GRIMLEY" isn't getting it's own series collection.  I would have been all over that, and gimme a break, how great would that have been - you know, to walk into the Best Buy and say, "Excuse me, where might I find the Ed Grimley show?" and there it would be, right in front of me!   And wouldn't it be wonderful to sit it next to that marvelous home game of "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"?

Oh, woe, I suppose the chances of a complete series set of this show is as doomed as doomed can be!
I laughed. 

Never seen the toon version of Ed Grimley.   Very interested. 

I just want to say I agree with full releases but at the same time I'm quite happy to be able to get at least a taste of some of these old toons.  There are many I'd love to see again, many that have gotten releases and I've bought and enjoyed.  Hoping it's just a short wait for stuff like Thundarr. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted February 21 2010 - 02:33 PM

it looks like a pretty weak release for 1980s cartoons. I will not be purchasing this dvd. I much prefer the late 1960 and 1970s cartoons. Cartoons died a slow death in the 1980s, especially saturday morning. I was in junior/senior high school when saturday morning cartoons started to die.