Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#581 of 601 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,148 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 30 2013 - 10:53 AM

Now that it's at $520 million ($248 US, $272 INT) in 17 days I don't think I'll be needing to buy that Coke, diet or otherwise. :P

I guess i might have to buy you one.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#582 of 601 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,148 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 20 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looks like the next film will have Batman and Superman in it.

http://variety.com/2...con-1200565858/

I'm unsure about how they will make this work, i think a direct sequel would be better but the comic book movie fans will love it.

Edited by FoxyMulder, July 20 2013 - 11:33 AM.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#583 of 601 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,673 posts

Posted July 20 2013 - 12:45 PM

A Batman / Superman team up movie now redefines definition of 'bad timing' for both characters given the state of their current respective movie incarnations.

A Superman movie that ends with Metropolis flattened and no repercussions and a new Batman that replaces the Nolan one with no setup. 

Edited by Lou Sytsma, July 20 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#584 of 601 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted July 23 2013 - 06:01 AM

I've just never understood why the idea of Superman and Batman teaming up gets people excited.  Superman doesn't need Batman's help.  I'd much rather see a straight up MoS sequel.

#585 of 601 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,084 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 23 2013 - 08:41 AM

How does it work geographically to merge the two characters' worlds? Aren't Gotham City and Metropolis symbolic substitutions for the same space (i.e. New York City)?

Edited by Malcolm R, July 23 2013 - 08:42 AM.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#586 of 601 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,653 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 23 2013 - 08:45 AM

How does it work geographically to merge the two characters' worlds? Aren't Gotham City and Metropolis symbolic substitutions for the same space (i.e. New York City)?

On,y in the same way that Oakland and San Fran are the same city.Metropolis and Gotham are essentially across a bay from each other.On most "maps" Gotham is basically somewhere in south Jersey and Metropilos is somewhere on the Delaware bay in the state of Delaware.

Edited by TonyD, July 23 2013 - 08:48 AM.

facebook.com/whotony

#587 of 601 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 424 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted July 23 2013 - 08:48 PM

On "Smallville", Metropolis is visible from Smallville, which is clearly in Kansas, putting Metropolis in Kansas too. That never made sense to me. Gotham City alternates between being New York and Chicago, depending on whether the story calls for a shoreline. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#588 of 601 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,192 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 06:24 AM

One of the things that's always bugged me about DC comics stuff is the multitude of fictional cities. But regardless of being fictional, they've always been their own separate cities in the DC Universe as far as I can remember.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#589 of 601 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 10:44 PM

How is MAN OF STEEL performing at the box-office in relation to its budget?

#590 of 601 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,148 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 27 2013 - 12:38 AM

How is MAN OF STEEL performing at the box-office in relation to its budget?

Info here.

http://boxofficemojo...uperman2012.htm

#591 of 601 OFFLINE   Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 09:51 AM

Will most likely end with less than $300M domestic and $700M total wordwide.  Yeah, not the one billion dollar smash most fanboys were predicting, hence Batman to the rescue!

Edited by Freddie Z, July 27 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#592 of 601 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,776 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2013 - 10:26 AM

Will most likely end with less than $300M domestic and $700M total wordwide.  Yeah, not the one billion dollar smash most fanboys were predicting, hence Batman to the rescue!

As of now, it's the third highest grossing movie of the year (domestic and worldwide) and I agree with your estimation of making about $700 million worldwide. That total would put it somewhere near or into the 50 highest grossing movies ever made. Anyone that expected this movie to make a $1 billion (a feat which 16 movies in history have managed) doesn't know what they're talking about.

#593 of 601 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 10:42 AM

It could gross a trillion dollars but it still wouldn't be a good movie.

#594 of 601 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,776 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 10:48 AM

It could gross a trillion dollars but it still wouldn't be a good movie.

Given its gross, I think it's fair to say that the bulk of the audience doesn't agree with you or it would have made much less than what it did.

#595 of 601 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 11:36 AM

Given its gross, I think it's fair to say that the bulk of the audience doesn't agree with you or it would have made much less than what it did.

I can't help it that the bulk of the audience is wrong.

#596 of 601 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,356 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's assuming people don't walk out of a movie (after they've paid their admission) and decide they don't like the film. It's happened to me a time or two (just this summer!). The box office doesn't record satisfaction, just filled seats.

#597 of 601 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,776 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:23 PM

That's assuming people don't walk out of a movie (after they've paid their admission) and decide they don't like the film. It's happened to me a time or two (just this summer!). The box office doesn't record satisfaction, just filled seats.

Sure but a movie doesn't become one of the 50 or 60 biggest grossing movies ever made because there was a majority of people saying "What a piece of shit!" as they left the theater. Movies that have bad word of mouth don't become the third highest grossing movie of the year. I'm not talking about the quality of the movie, I'm purely talking about how much the average viewer liked it and based on its gross, I think it's very fair to say that many people liked it.

To give another example, the Twilight movies made a ton of money. The ones I've seen are terrible but I can all but guarantee that the audiences that saw those movies, enjoyed them.

#598 of 601 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:27 PM

It's telling that there have been more comments in this thread speculating about the box office receipts and what they will mean for the future of the franchise rather than expressing any genuine enthusiasm for the movie itself.

#599 of 601 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,776 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:38 PM

It's telling that there have been more comments in this thread speculating about the box office receipts and what they will mean for the future of the franchise rather than expressing any genuine enthusiasm for the movie itself.

There's another 11 page thread that where the movie was discussed. Once that thread started, this one just sorta turned into a talk about its box office gross.

#600 of 601 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 31 2013 - 05:48 AM

Worldwide as of July 29: $643,962,067

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users