What's new

Man of Steel (2013)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Title: Man of Steel

Tagline: You will believe that a man can fly.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: Zack Snyder

Cast: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Christopher Meloni, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff, Ayelet Zurer, Dylan Sprayberry, Cooper Timberline, Michael Kelly, Richard Cetrone, Mackenzie Gray, Julian Richings, Mary Black, Samantha Win, Rebecca Buller, Christina Wren, David Lewis, Tahmoh Penikett, Doug Abrahams, Brad Kelly, David Paetkau, Elizabeth Thai, Ian Rozylo, Alessandro Juliani, Kwesi Ameyaw, Mike Dopud, Jack Foley, Jadin Gould, Robert Gerdisch, Ryan Mitchell, Alexa Gengelbach, Stephanie Kraft Song, Caroline Thomas, Coburn Goss, Lesley Bevan, Chad Krowchuk, Ian Tracey, Carmen Lavigne, Howard Siegel, Heidi Kettering, Justin Butler, Jacqueline Scislowski, Danny Coonley, Sally Elling, Joseph Cranford, Clint Carleton, Mark Gibbon, Stuart Ambrose, Tom Nagel, Jackson Berlin, George Canyon, Kyle Riefsnyder, Aaron Smolinski, Carla Gugino, Bruce Bohne, Rowen Kahn, Robert Moloney, Sean Campbell, Aaron Pearl, Rebecca Spence, Joe Minoso, Brian King, Madison Moran, Gabe Darley, Bridgett Newton, Revard Dufresne, Apollonia Vanova, Dan Aho, Ronald W. Gibbs, Chris Palermo, Edmundo Raul Sanchez, Nicholas W. von Zill, Allison Crowe, Nick Touchie, Eileen Touchie, Malcolm Scott, Rondel Reynoldson

Release: 2013-06-12

Runtime: 143

Plot: A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is trying to ready its DC Comics stalwart Superman to soar again on the Big Screen, and the studio has turned to Chris Nolan to mentor development of the movie. Our insiders say that the brains behind rebooted Batman has been asked to play a "godfather" role and ensure The Man Of Steel gets off the ground after a 3 1/2-year hiatus. Nolan's leadership of the project can set it in the right direction with the critics and the fans, not to mention at the box office.
Let us emphasize that Superman 3.0 is in the early stages of development. And we doubt Nolan would direct. This wouldn't be a sequel to Superman Returns but a completely fresh franchise.
Sounds promising. That last sentence is very exciting.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that Nolan could do a fantastic job with the Superman franchise(and after what Singer did with Superman Returns the bar certainly isn't very high), but I'd prefer he focus all his efforts on the 3rd Batman film before setting his sights on the Man of Steel.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
They just have to lose the suit, the blue and red spandex are holding them back in this time period. A modern day superman, who finds out he has unbelievable powers, first instinct is NOT to run to the store and buy blue and red spandex. Might of been fun in the 40's, but doesn't work today. IMHO...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The suit is iconic, although it is quite dated. It would be interesting to see Superman with an updated look. (Edna: No capes!)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
The suit is iconic, although it is quite dated. It would be interesting to see Superman with an updated look. (Edna: No capes!)
I'd like to see the fan reaction if they make some larger changes to the costume. I think "insane blind rage" would probably be a good description.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Everyone and their pet dog knows the origin of Superman. Skip it entirely, or show it in the opening credits montage (a la The Incredible Hulk).

Just start with Superman established in Metropolis and get a good villain/plot going.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The last time they messed with the suit in the comics, it didn't go over so well. Supes without the cape, is like Batman without his cowl and utility belt.

I know the mythology has changed over the years, but didn't Ma Kent make the suit out of the blankets that baby Kal-El was wrapped in?

Superman II did a pretty good montage summing up the events of the first film, so that could work again for the benefit of the few people who don't know the backstory.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How about after the WB shield and all of the production company logos are displayed, text is placed on the screen that says, "Buy Smallville S1 - S13 on Blu-Ray and DVD!"?
I know that doesn't work for those of you who think the Smallville take is invalid. Otherwise, it's perfect. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just about anyone can, and I'm sure will, do a better job at a Superman film than Singer did. Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama. While his Batman films were ok, they were far too long and drawn out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama.
You might get more action but I wouldn't hold my breath for a movie under 2 hours. I think it's a law now that every summer movie has to run about 2 and a half hours.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Ron-P /forum/thread/297988/superman-flying-under-christopher-nolan-s-wing#post_3659677
Just about anyone can, and I'm sure will, do a better job at a Superman film than Singer did. Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama. While his Batman films were ok, they were far too long and drawn out.
That's true; Nolan's Batman flicks weren't very well received, and The Dark Knight in particular didn't make a crap-ton of money and set all kind of box-office records, so he'd be wise to take Superman in an entirely different direction.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by cafink /forum/thread/297988/superman-flying-under-christopher-nolan-s-wing#post_3659741
That's true; Nolan's Batman flicks weren't very well received, and The Dark Knight in particular didn't make a crap-ton of money and set all kind of box-office records, so he'd be wise to take Superman in an entirely different direction.
Sarcasm aside, I think Superman needs a much lighter touch than Batman and that's not something we've seen from Nolan so far. The Dark Knight was an impressive film, but it was also very grim and serious. Superman needs to be much sunnier and optimistic - one of the problems with the Singer film is that it took Superman down a much darker road that didn't seem to mesh with the character and established mythology.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No origin and no Lex Luthor and I'll be fine with it. Those have been done to death.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I suppose I'm up for this even though I think it's so sad that Routh won't be back as Supes, I thought he did an awesome job.
But he must be in the suit, that's a deal breaker.
No suit = no sale. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth
No origin and no Lex Luthor and I'll be fine with it. Those have been done to death.
I agree with the origin. There's not a person on earth who doesn't know it by now. But if they hew to the modern version of Lex and not stick to the dippy version Donner created in '78 like Singer did, the Lex will be fresh and interesting.
He should not be the central villain, it should be someone with enough powers to threaten Superman physically (and not Zod, he's been done to death having appeared twice on Smallville). But Lex should stir the pot and make matter worse for Superman.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So, it was just a rumor?!!?!?!!?

Got me all excited for nothing. :-(

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/5899/christopher-nolans-involvement-in-superman-reboot-nothing-but-rumor

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I for one am glad Nolan isn't involved, he did good with the Batman films but his films tend to be dark, gloomy and humourless. Which ironically is exactly how Bryan Singer's Superman Returns turned out. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Wouldn't you like to know!" laughed Nelson when asked if there was any truth to the recent rumor that "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will oversee a reboot of the "Superman" movie franchise.

"We don't have any plans about that, and as I've mentioned, in the coming months we'll be making a lot of announcements about what our content plans will be," she added. "But right now, that's nothing but rumor — and we frankly don't say a whole lot more about rumor than that, so..."
Doesn't mean it's not true. Somebody probably just jumped the gun and they don't want to talk about it right now.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks