-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#1 of 601 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is trying to ready its DC Comics stalwart Superman to soar again on the Big Screen, and the studio has turned to Chris Nolan to mentor development of the movie. Our insiders say that the brains behind rebooted Batman has been asked to play a "godfather" role and ensure The Man Of Steel gets off the ground after a 3 1/2-year hiatus. Nolan's leadership of the project can set it in the right direction with the critics and the fans, not to mention at the box office.

Let us emphasize that Superman 3.0 is in the early stages of development. And we doubt Nolan would direct. This wouldn't be a sequel to Superman Returns but a completely fresh franchise.
Sounds promising.  That last sentence is very exciting. 

http://www.deadline....ing-3rd-batman/

#2 of 601 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 05:57 PM

I have no doubt that Nolan could do a fantastic job with the Superman franchise(and after what Singer did with Superman Returns the bar certainly isn't very high), but I'd prefer he focus all his efforts on the 3rd Batman film before setting his sights on the Man of Steel.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#3 of 601 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 01:33 AM

They just have to lose the suit, the blue and red spandex are holding them back in this time period.  A modern day superman, who finds out he has unbelievable powers, first instinct is NOT to run to the store and buy blue and red spandex.  Might of been fun in the 40's, but doesn't work today.  IMHO...

#4 of 601 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted February 10 2010 - 03:11 AM

The suit is iconic, although it is quite dated. It would be interesting to see Superman with an updated look. (Edna: No capes!)

#5 of 601 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 10 2010 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell ">

The suit is iconic, although it is quite dated. It would be interesting to see Superman with an updated look. (Edna: No capes!)

I'd like to see the fan reaction if they make some larger changes to the costume. I think "insane blind rage" would probably be a good description.

#6 of 601 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 08:17 AM

As long as he's called Superman from the get go.  Not something stupid like "The Blur"

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#7 of 601 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,117 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 10 2010 - 08:27 AM

Everyone and their pet dog knows the origin of Superman. Skip it entirely, or show it in the opening credits montage (a la The Incredible Hulk).

Just start with Superman established in Metropolis and get a good villain/plot going.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 601 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,416 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 09:23 AM

The last time they messed with the suit in the comics, it didn't go over so well. Supes without the cape, is like Batman without his cowl and utility belt.

I know the mythology has changed over the years, but didn't Ma Kent make the suit out of the blankets that baby Kal-El was wrapped in?

Superman II did a pretty good montage summing up the events of the first film, so that could work again for the benefit of the few people who don't know the backstory.

#9 of 601 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 10 2010 - 09:47 AM

How about after the WB shield and all of the production company logos are displayed, text is placed on the screen that says, "Buy Smallville S1 - S13 on Blu-Ray and DVD!"? 

I know that doesn't work for those of you who think the Smallville take is invalid.  Otherwise, it's perfect.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#10 of 601 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 03:53 PM

Just about anyone can, and I'm sure will, do a better job at a Superman film than Singer did. Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama. While his Batman films were ok, they were far too long and drawn out.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 601 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 11 2010 - 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P View Post

Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama.

You might get more action but I wouldn't hold my breath for a movie under 2 hours. I think it's a law now that every summer movie has to run about 2 and a half hours.

#12 of 601 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P 

Just about anyone can, and I'm sure will, do a better job at a Superman film than Singer did. Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama. While his Batman films were ok, they were far too long and drawn out.
That's true; Nolan's Batman flicks weren't very well received, and The Dark Knight in particular didn't make a crap-ton of money and set all kind of box-office records, so he'd be wise to take Superman in an entirely different direction.

#13 of 601 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink 

That's true; Nolan's Batman flicks weren't very well received, and The Dark Knight in particular didn't make a crap-ton of money and set all kind of box-office records, so he'd be wise to take Superman in an entirely different direction.
Sarcasm aside, I think Superman needs a much lighter touch than Batman and that's not something we've seen from Nolan so far. The Dark Knight was an impressive film, but it was also very grim and serious. Superman needs to be much sunnier and optimistic - one of the problems with the Singer film is that it took Superman down a much darker road that didn't seem to mesh with the character and established mythology.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#14 of 601 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 10:55 AM

No origin and no Lex Luthor and I'll be fine with it. Those have been done to death.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#15 of 601 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 12 2010 - 11:54 AM

I suppose I'm up for this even though I think it's so sad that Routh won't be back as Supes, I thought he did an awesome job.

But he must be in the suit, that's a deal breaker.

No suit = no sale. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 601 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 12 2010 - 12:11 PM

Routh is doing a great job on Chuck right now. 

#17 of 601 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted February 13 2010 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth ">

Sarcasm aside, I think Superman needs a much lighter touch than Batman and that's not something we've seen from Nolan so far. The Dark Knight was an impressive film, but it was also very grim and serious. Superman needs to be much sunnier and optimistic - one of the problems with the Singer film is that it took Superman down a much darker road that didn't seem to mesh with the character and established mythology.

A lot of people have been focusing on the fact that Batman has been fairly dark and therefore Nolan will make Superman dark. I don't see that. What I see in Nolan is a very intelligent director who matches the tone of his films to the subject matter. Batman is dark, which is why the films are that way. A few years back when he was asked about a Superman Batman film, he said he didn't think the styles of the two characters meshed. He specificallys said that Supeman was the light and Batman the dark. I think he understands the character enough to choose the proper people to pull this off right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa 

#18 of 601 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted February 21 2010 - 01:02 AM

So, it was just a rumor?!!?!?!!?

Got me all excited for nothing.  :-(

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/5899/christopher-nolans-involvement-in-superman-reboot-nothing-but-rumor

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#19 of 601 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,210 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 21 2010 - 05:55 AM

Well I for one am glad Nolan isn't involved, he did good with the Batman films but his films tend to be dark, gloomy and humourless. Which ironically is exactly how Bryan Singer's Superman Returns turned out. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#20 of 601 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 21 2010 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
"Wouldn't you like to know!" laughed Nelson when asked if there was any truth to the recent rumor that "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will oversee a reboot of the "Superman" movie franchise.

"We don't have any plans about that, and as I've mentioned, in the coming months we'll be making a lot of announcements about what our content plans will be," she added. "But right now, that's nothing but rumor — and we frankly don't say a whole lot more about rumor than that, so..."

Doesn't mean it's not true.  Somebody probably just jumped the gun and they don't want to talk about it right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users