-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Announcement: Escape From L.A. (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,323 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 03:56 AM

On May 4th, Paramount Home Entertainment will release Escape From L.A. on Blu-ray!

DVD- Director John Carpenter’s exciting follow up to the darkly futuristic Escape From New York once again stars 
Kurt Russell as mercenary Snake Plissken on a mission to wade through L.A.'s ruined landmarks to retrieve a doomsday device. In the year 2013, L.A. has become an island prison populated by law-breakers and non-conformists, thanks to a series of earthquakes that separated the city from the mainland. This “go-for-broke extravaganza” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times) is filled with jaw-dropping action as Snake surfs Wilshire Blvd., shoots hoops at the Coliseum, dive bombs the Happy Kingdom theme park, and mixes it up with a wild assortment of friends, fiends and foes played by Stacy Keach, Steve Buscemi, Peter Fonda, George Corraface, Cliff Robertson, Pam Grier and more.  The disc includes the theatrical trailer.

Specifications- 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles

Escape From L.A. Blu-ray
Street date:   May 4, 2010
Pricing: $29.99 U.S.
Runtime:  100 minutes
U.S. Rating: R for violence and some language 
Canadian Rating: 14A 
Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 08 2010 - 04:06 AM

Sweet! I'd like if they'd record a commentary but sweet nonetheless.

#3 of 7 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 08 2010 - 07:46 AM

Great! Keep those Blu-ray reissues of old letterboxed transfers coming, Paramount! Make Jonathan Mostow's Breakdown one of the next batch, please.

#4 of 7 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 01:41 PM

Excellent!  One of my guilty pleasures.  Never did buy the DVD because it was non-anamorphic.  Makes this an easy purchase for me.

/img/vbsmilies/htf/popcorn.gif

Recently watched- Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 1, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#5 of 7 JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted February 08 2010 - 02:08 PM

My girlfriend will be very happy that LA will receive the blu-ray treatment before NY. We've had many playful disagreements over Escape from NY/LA, but I can't convince her that NY is the better film. Oh well. I will grudgingly admit that LA is one of Carpenter's better post-80s films, despite the horrible CGI, distracting, pointless cameos and forgettable villain.   

#6 of 7 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 10 2010 - 03:16 AM

I would stay away from any Escape From New York BD until MGM sorts out their financial issues and we can get a true high-quality release - a good number of Fox/MGM discs look awfully flat and soft, particularly the 80's catalog. Maybe Fox shouldn't handle MGM titles anymore...what incentive does a third party have to focus on quality when handling somebody else's stuff?

#7 of 7 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito34 

I would stay away from any Escape From New York BD until MGM sorts out their financial issues and we can get a true high-quality release - a good number of Fox/MGM discs look awfully flat and soft, particularly the 80's catalog. Maybe Fox shouldn't handle MGM titles anymore...what incentive does a third party have to focus on quality when handling somebody else's stuff?
I don't agree about the MGM/Fox catalog titles. They've put out some clunkers, but they've also released some very good looking discs -  To Live and Die in LA, Manhunter, The Princess Bride, The Pink Panther, Misery, Child's Play, This is Spinal Tap. All of which look very much as they did when they were originally released.

Films from the 70s and 80s in particular tend to have softer, grainier, less saturated photography - a look that too often gets labeled "bad" when it's properly transferred to high-def video.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.