Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Amazing Race Season 16

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 of 108 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 02:43 AM

Just caught up on this season, and 2 things that I did not like... knomes and the Intersection (thank goodness it was earlier in the race and only for the Roadblock). I think read somewhere which teams make it far, but I won't say it anymore here. Since each thread still has that preview of the last post, a problem on HTF.

I like the cowboys and detectives, and so far, I think better than last season. Jordan (of Big Brother) kind of reminds me of Shelly from Northern Exposure.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - May
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#42 of 108 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 22 2010 - 02:12 AM

A little change to the intro, making it similar to that of the 1st season. Now down to the final 6 teams.

I would have preferred to see Brent & Caite gone. Talk about being the dumbest team in this race. Too bad with Jeff & Jordan, as they were definitely growing on me.

And seeing those small towns in France, made this a very good episode.

#43 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2010 - 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Walter C 

And seeing those small towns in France, made this a very good episode.
Agreed.

Favorite moment:  "Cathy Drone?" [From the brothers team as the Frenchwoman was trying to get them to understand the word "cathedral".]

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#44 of 108 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 03:01 AM

I think Cowboys are going to win.  Found this post on page 2!

#45 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 06 2010 - 03:20 AM

I can't believe it's been a couple of weeks without a post in this thread.

The cowboys are amazing.  Nothing gets them down.  They stay even-keeled--even in the face of adversity.  No drama.  Their philosophy seems to be:  let's have a good time and do our best and everything will work out.   How can you not be pulling for them? 

That swim they had to make back-to-the-boat to retrieve the forgotten bottle would have killed some contestants.  That was impressive. 

That entire incident with the forgotten bottle/map:  no finger-pointing, no histrionics, no whining, just a matter-of-fact determination of what they needed to do to move forward.  Gotta love it.

For the same reason, I was sorry to see the father/daughter team leave.  When they decided to move forward rather than go back and get their backpacks they left at the tortoise ranch, I thought that was a pretty ballsy move.  Thank goodness they had all their traveling papers with them.

The lesbians:  bicker and drama.

The models:  bicker and drama. 

The cops:  wheeze and cough. 

Straight/Gay brothers:  Not as much drama and bickering as I expected.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#46 of 108 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,687 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 04:32 AM

The Cowboys are easily my favourite team in the history of the show, for the exact reason Mike stated.

#47 of 108 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts
  • LocationHancock, MA - The Berkshires

Posted April 06 2010 - 08:39 PM

Wife and I are heavily rooting for the Cowboys, but we were sad to see the father daughter team go.  The cops are kind of fun too.  The shorter guy looks like he did some body building in another life.  They do seriously suck some wind at times though, which will probably hurt them at some point when speed will count.  But the Cowboys just don't quit and they haven't spoken a harsh word to each other that I have heard.  And I'm suprprised they didn't do the swim with their hats on.
Dave

#48 of 108 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted April 07 2010 - 01:22 AM

Amazing that the cowboys were able to move from last to first, even with the speedbump. They're my favorite team this season, too. No whining, no bickering, they just do what they need to do to move forward. That's how I like to think I'd be on the race, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, enjoy it!

#49 of 108 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,247 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 07 2010 - 01:32 AM

I admit, in many seasons of "Amazing Race" there isn't a team I've enjoyed more then the cowboys.  No drama, lots of smiles and laughs, good attitude throughout.. and they go out of their way to respect the locals.  I laughed hard when he had to tip his hat and shake the hand of the guru in the swing at the speedbump :)

But tey take the race the way it should be and are very fun to watch.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#50 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 07 2010 - 05:46 AM

The only other pair I can think of that I liked their attitude all the way through the race--and they were quite a different pair than the cowboys--were BJ & Tyler (the "hippies") from Season 9.  They had a great time during the entire race and didn't let adversity get them down either. 

#51 of 108 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 09:07 AM

I remember Ken & Gerard from Season 3 the same way.

I just learned that Steve was one of the coaches with the Phillies in 2008, the year they won the World Series.

I'm just watching these episodes now, and man, just thinking how I would have no chance to visit Seychelles, which is where again? I did think it was funny to have Phil trying to talk underwater, when explaining the Roadblock.

So far, I find these teams a lot more tolerable than last season. I like to see either the cowboys or detectives to win, and wouldn't mind Dan & Jordan. Just not the other 2 teams!

#52 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 06:11 AM

Did I casually hear someone mention a World Series ring this week?

#53 of 108 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,687 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 01:19 PM

Best elimination round ever.  All I can say to that team is "c u next tuesday."

#54 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 11 2010 - 01:57 PM

Honestly.  How can people be so small-minded and mean-spirited?

I think I will always be amazed at that sort of thing.

No violins playing at our house.

#55 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 06:08 AM

I'm glad to see the lesbians gone (not because of their orientation). They just showed how classless they are.

It's hard to feel sorry for people playing a game who get upset because other players in the game make a move against them that is built into the game. This is like NFL players complaining because the other team tackled their receiver. "That wasn't fair. How are we supposed to score if they keep knocking our guy down?"

Their comments didn't even make sense, which is kind of ironic since they were mostly about how dumb the other team was. It makes perfect sense to me to use the U-Turn against a weak team (or a team that's near the back of the pack on that leg) because you have a good chance of knocking them out of the race... which is exactly what happened this time.

Plus, can't you only U-Turn a team who is behind you? So how would you use it against a stronger team who would presumably be ahead of you?

I was surprised to hear there is an Amazing Race Asia. I wonder how many other versions there are.

#56 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 12 2010 - 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

I was surprised to hear there is an Amazing Race Asia. I wonder how many other versions there are.
A half-dozen others, Chris.

#57 of 108 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 07:44 AM

I've seen a couple seasons of the Asian version, and find them enjoyable as well. You get to see teams from different Asian countries competing. Still, I would prefer the American version, if I had to choose between the two. I had a feeling that Allan would make an appearance in this episode, since the host lives in Singapore.

I'm not sad to see Brandy & Carol gone! I've had enough of them at this point, although their reaction is not surprising at being U-Turned, as I expect teams to get upset when it happens against them.

#58 of 108 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

Plus, can't you only U-Turn a team who is behind you? So how would you use it against a stronger team who would presumably be ahead of you?
"Stronger" teams are not always ahead at every single point of the leg. Brent&Caite arrived before both Louie&Michael and Jet&Cord, and could have U-Turned either of them instead. That probably would have knocked Jet&Cord out; arguably a better choice.

#59 of 108 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Dial 

Best elimination round ever.  All I can say to that team is "c u next tuesday."

LOL.

While the Cops and the Cowboys are by far the toughest teams, they should of been U-Turned if the Race was played in a vacuum, this is real life and sometimes "I just f'n hate them" is a good enough.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#60 of 108 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts
  • LocationHancock, MA - The Berkshires

Posted April 12 2010 - 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Chan 

"Stronger" teams are not always ahead at every single point of the leg. Brent&Caite arrived before both Louie&Michael and Jet&Cord, and could have U-Turned either of them instead. That probably would have knocked Jet&Cord out; arguably a better choice.

Agreed.  It just goes to show that how each team treats the other teams is important.  Louie & Michael were bragging that they convinced Brent & Katie to u-turn team lesbian, but I don't think it took much convincing.  Especially Katie seemed to really desperately, passionately desire to u-turn them.  I think she really hated them at that point.  Of course they were upset for being u-turned.  I would have been furious if I was u-turned and that led to elimination.  I don't blame them for being upset.  I blame them for not playing nicer.  Their point was that they had never led a leg, so why u-turn them.  Well several teams were going to "do" them so strength of team clearly played less of a role.  Very good episode though, not sure if the Fast forward is really relevant for the way the game is played now.  Just gets one team out of tasks, but the teams are generally bunched up again on the following leg.  I think it would be better to allow any of the teams to try the fast forward and the first one to the finish line wins it.  I think that would make the FF more interesting anyway.
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users