Dante's Inferno (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok, now that the demo is out there to download, I just have a few thoughts:

(1) This is a very graphically pretty game, but it does show we're pretty near the end of limits on the XBOX360 hardware. While not likely to change soon, you can really tell on some titles that they struggle to keep up with the rapid look. Still, some of the effects are pretty nice.

(2) I can't think of any other game I've ever seen on any platform with full frontal female nudity... ever. Yes, it's digital, but still, I was really surprised.

(3) The gameplay itself is a bit of a button masher. Still, good fun, and the sound effects are great. In DD5.1, it has some great surround effects.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There has been some slight nudity before, but it's usually a demonic monster or something, with the exception of God of War.

The demo for Dante's Inferno has been out for a while. The actual game comes out tomorrow. I have it preordered (along with BioShock 2, also releasing tomorrow). The reviews have been pretty so-so overall. It's basically a God of War clone but loses it's appeal over the course of the game, at least that's what I gather from the reviews.

I'm getting this for the PS3 simply because I don't have an X-Box 360. I think that the near future of games (next 3 years or so) will probably focus more on the experience or quality of the game design than the graphics. The PS3 had a few high points with MGS4 (which was almost 2 years ago), Uncharted 2, and Killzone 2 and the 360 is trying to keep up but will probably peak with Mass Effect 2 and FFXIII. That said, the new motion controller for PS3 (supposedly named Arc) and the 360's Natal (or whatever it ends up being really called) should open the market for new experiences the same way the Wii remote did. Sony and MS have both expressed interest in keeping their current generation going for at least 6 years each, while Nintendo doesn't plan on making any announcements until Wii sales have really slowed down.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

I think that the near future of games (next 3 years or so) will probably focus more on the experience or quality of the game design than the graphics.
Let's hope so!

I might add Infamous to the list of PS3 high points -- I usually prefer linear adventures like Uncharted to open-world adventures like GTA, but Infamous is a blast.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Infamous is a great game, really.. has me waiting for a sequel. Actually, probably the most fun I've had with any game on any platform not Wii last year that wasn't a direct download. (because, quite frankly, nothing at all can come close to PixelJunk Monsters on PS3 or Castle Crashers XBOX360.. those games are fantastic fun)

Infamous had such a strong, interesting storyline. And, I had to play it through both ways (evil/good). and I admit, you actually feel pretty dirty having played it through as the evil character.. that is some creepy stuff. I'm really eager for a sequel on that game.
I enjoyed Uncharted 2, and the train sequence was fantastic. But the rest of the game was pretty formula with a decent story and good to great graphics.

Bring on Infamous 2 & Heavy Rain for PS3.. I'm there. Then again, I'm also ready for SMG2 on Wii! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Much as I enjoy the game, I don't think I will bring myself to play through the evil storyline on Infamous. When I was a teenager I might've been more into that, but not now.

There's also a difference between being the bad guy in a cartoonish game like the original GTA and in a serious game with photo-realistic, talking characters like Infamous.

Plenty of other unplayed games to get to instead, anyway.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I can understand that. I probably could have just seen the youtube videos of the cut scenes. But, I think having played through as evil, you appreciate the writing of the story much more.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
...so back on topic a bit, I got Dante's Inferno yesterday and I've been playing through it. I'm near the end of the 7th Circle (Violence). Overall, I'd say it's ok to good. The reviews seem to be pretty spot-on with this one. I'll play through it again to see if there's anything I missed (I'm sure I didn't get some items) and to max out my skill trees, but I'm not sure if it's something that I would have bought on day-one, in hindsight.

Also, I bought BioShock 2 yesterday as well but figured I would want to play that and enjoy, whereas I'm more or less trying to plow through Dante's as fast as possible. Then Heavy Rain in two weeks (skipping out on AvP for now), then FFXIII and God of War next month. It's good I don't have a 360 or else I'd have Mass Effect 2 in there as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd put an addendum on my last post:

I finished the game today on my first run through. I had planned on going back to collect any items I may have missed...but there's absolutely no benefit besides trophy/achievement scores. The only unlockables are given once you beat the game on any difficulty. So overall, it's probably just a once-through kind of game unless you really, really need to occupy yourself until God of War 3 comes out.

Also, there's some more nudity near the end of the game. The final cutscene has some guy butt and a little bit of side/frontal. I wasn't expecting it, but it's not really egregious or anything. That said, the final boss is...shall we say...anatomically exagerrated, but you might not notice it unless you're paying attention/looking.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
If you start a new game after you finish it, do you keep your current stats / relics / etc, or do you start over from square one?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There is a New Game + sort of mode called Resurrection. Here's how it works:

When you finish the game you're prompted to save, but if you try to load this then it just goes to the end credits. If you start a new game, then it asks if you want to play in Resurrection mode. The regular game mode has a couple levels before you get to hell, but there's no collectibles so Resurrection mode picks up after these levels. The stuff that carries over is pretty much everything except for the Judas coins, I think. But those only give you soul bonuses (read: more experience boost) when you collect 5. As I said, no special modes are unlocked by collecting everything.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I finished the demos for this and Hard Rain last night. Both were very fun, I fully intend to buy both.... as soon as they hit $29 or less.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I tried out the demo for HEAVY RAIN. The game looks good graphically and gameplay-wise. I found the controls a little awkward to use and kept having to repeat button combinations before getting them right. I got into a fight in the demo's first level and the button combinations flew by so fast that I missed more than a few, due to misinterpretation, and got my ass kicked; Either that or my reflexes are slowing down. Being told what movements to make, and in what order to make them, tended to give a very scripted feel to the character control and gave one the feeling of operating a marionette, especially in the initial level. Still, the game itself looks to be a bit of departure from the typical first person shooters that make up a lot of the content on the XBOX360 and PS3. I'll probably pick it up when the price comes down a bit from the 70 dollar price tag that it will probably be initially selling for.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Edwin - Are you buying the US? Heavy Rain is the standard $60 that all PS3 games are at launch.

The controls take some getting used to, but the last game they made, Indigo Prophecy, was the same kind of thing. Also, you don't get a sense for it from the demo but the story can completely change based on what you do. You can literally kill off main characters through your actions and the game will keep going without them. Read some of the reviews to get a better idea of how it works.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

Edwin - Are you buying the US? Heavy Rain is the standard $60 that all PS3 games are at launch.

The controls take some getting used to, but the last game they made, Indigo Prophecy, was the same kind of thing. Also, you don't get a sense for it from the demo but the story can completely change based on what you do. You can literally kill off main characters through your actions and the game will keep going without them. Read some of the reviews to get a better idea of how it works.

No. Canadian, but since this is a PS3 exclusive the 60 dollar tag you mention is probably the correct price.I was thinking that HR was multi-platform. I forgot that it's being published by SCEA. The more popular and expected games, released on both systems, are selling for 69.99 up here: mind you, not all of them but quite a few. It is interesting that the main characters can be killed off and yet the game keeps going on. I'll look up some of the reviews that you mentioned.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Is this game anything like The Devil May Cry 4? If it is then I'll definitely get it when the price drops. I guess I can try the demo first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks