Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2-9-2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,844 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 06 2010 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image
– Michael Stuhlbarg & Richard Kind (A Serious Man – 2009)

Posted Image
– Cast (Couples Retreat – 2009)

Posted Image
–Ashley Springer, Rooney Mara, Emmy Rossum (Dare – 2009)

Posted Image
–Tom Hardy (Bronson– 2008)

Posted Image
–Women's Prison– 1956

Posted Image

–Orson Welles (King Lear– 1953)

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
SD-DVD TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco
Army Wives: Season 3 $29.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1"> $44.99 $34.99
Bad Girls of Film Noir: Volume 1 $19.99  
Bad Girls of Film Noir: Volume 2 $19.99    
Boobs: An American Obsession $14.99    
Bronson                                                            $19.99    
Couple's Retreat $15.99 $15.99 $18.99
A Dangerous Man $16.99    
Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic $14.99    
David Lean Collection (8 films - Korean Import)      
Dare $24.99    
Emma (2009) $29.99    
Fraggle Rock: Wembley's Egg Surprise $9.99    
The Four Minute Mile $24.99    
Free Style $19.99    
Gary Unmarried: Season 1 $34.99    
Heist $6.99    
I Hate Valentines Day $14.99    
Ice Castles      
JAG: Season 10 (Final Season) $39.99 $39.99  
Jump: A Frogumentary $22.49 $19.99    
King Lear (1953/Welles - CBS Omnibus) $24.99    
Mas Sabe el Diablo: El Primer Golpe $14.99    
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Minnie's Bow-tique $14.99 $12.99  
The Patty Duke Show: Season 2 $34.99    
Penguins of Madagascar: Operation DVD Premiere $11.99 $12.99  
The People Speak      
The Pleasure of Being Robbed $19.99    
Pride and Prejudice CE (2-disc) $12.99    
Rod Serling: Studio One Dramas $14.99    
A Serious Man $19.99 $19.99  
Serious Moonlight $19.99    
Shoot First and Pray You Live $24.99    
Stargate Universe (SGU 1.0) $34.99 $34.99  
The Stepfather (NR Director's Cut) $19.99 $19.99  
Studio One: 12 Angry Men (1954) $14.99    
The Time Traveler's Wife $17.99 $15.99  
The Trial Begins $19.99    
Vega$: Season 1 Volume 2 $29.99    
XIII: The Conspiracy $24.99    
BLU-RAY TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco Bad Company - Hard Rock Live $16.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1">       Bronson $24.99     Couple's Retreat $22.99 $19.99   Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic $19.99     Dare $34.99     Drop Zone $17.99     Hard Rain $17.99     I Hate Valentine's Day $24.99     The Phantom $17.99     The Pretenders: Live in London $21.99     The Running Man $17.99     A Serious Man $26.99 $24.99   Serious Moonlight $24.99     Stargate Universe (SGU 1.0) $47.99 $42.99   The Stepfather (NR Director's Cut)                 $26.99 $24.99   The Time Traveler's Wife $25.99 $25.99   XIII: The Conspiracy $24.99    
(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

Bad Girls of Film Noir: Volume 1 (DVD):  Dead Reckoning, The Racket, The Big heat, Human Desire, 99 River Street, The Prowler.

Bad Girls of Film Noir: Volume 2 (DVD):
  Night Editor, One Girl's Confession, Over-Exposed, Women's Prison. 

David Lean Collection (8 Films - Korean Import) (DVD):  Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Blithe Spirit, This Happy Breed, Brief Encounter, Madeleine, The Sound Barrier, Hobson's Choice.

Rod Serling: Studio One Dramas (DVD):  The Arena, The Strike.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy has NO specials or exclusive on this week's new releases.  

--Best Buy has the following Blu-ray titles on sale:

$19.99:  Inglourious Basterds, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince, Terminator Salvation, Public Enemies, Star Trek, The Hangover, Up, G-Force, Crank 2, Gamer.

$24.99:  District 9, Angels & Demons, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, The Proposal.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  A list of "Valentines Day"-themed DVDs for $4.99 apiece.

--Target, this week, also has NO specials or exclusives listed on new releases.

--Target Odds and Ends: Select DVDs for $7.50.

#2 of 14 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 06 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the time you invest in posting the WRU Mike!  Running Man and The Phantom are on the list for sure; debating on either A Serious Man or Couples Retreat.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 07:15 PM

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$4.99 each:
27 Dresses
The Princess Bride
What Happens in Vegas
You, Me and Dupree
The Breakup
The Devil Wears Prada
Last Chance Harvey
The Pursuit of Happyness
Talledaga Nights
Traitor
Hitch
Righteous Kill
Minority Report
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Blu-ray:

$19.99 each:
Transformers 2 : Revenge Of The Fallen
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince
Terminator: Salvation
Public Enemies
Star Trek
Inglourious Basterds
The Hangover
Up
G-Force
Crank 2
Gamer

$24.99 each:
District 9
Angels and Demons
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
G.I Joe
The Proposal

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$7.50 each:

The Notebook
What Happens in Vegas
27 Dresses
The Princess Bride

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 07 2010 - 12:58 AM

I'll rent A Serious Man since I didn't catch it in theaters (and it actually played near me). That's about it though.

Thanks for the prices, guys!

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,807 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 07 2010 - 01:33 AM

BB.com also has Casablanca (BD, 1 disc) for $14.99, along with other classic titles like The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and Raging Bull.  I don't recall ever seeing Casablanca included in any kind of sale...

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 07 2010 - 01:39 AM

The Running Man, on Blu, for me, and thats it.

I just HAD to click on that Amazon link for Boobs: An American Obsession. Oh yea, but i only wanna see em in HD. No Blu, no sale!  :P

Interesting that Mike added that title to the Round Up? Must of been on his radar. 

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,844 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 07 2010 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER 

I just HAD to click on that Amazon link for Boobs: An American Obsession. Oh yea, but i only wanna see em in HD. No Blu, no sale!  :P

Interesting that Mike added that title to the Round Up? Must of been on his radar. 
/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif  I knew that title would get a rise out of some of you! 

It showed up on ALL of my new release lists that I check each week...so I figured, what the heck, let's have some fun.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

You'd be amazed at some of the titles that make the cutting room floor each week.  Educational titles, little kids titles, R-rated (practicaly soft-core stuff) titles and titles I would have a hard time categorizing.  There are usually 200 to 400 titles each week that need to be filtered and sifted before they make it into a Round-Up.  Looking at this week's WRU, you must be figuring I left all the good stuff behind!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif  Maybe I should slip something different into the mix every once in a while to keep things interesting!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V View Post

BB.com also has Casablanca (BD, 1 disc) for $14.99, along with other classic titles like The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and Raging Bull.  I don't recall ever seeing Casablanca included in any kind of sale...

That's been the price for Casablanca at Amazon (and Warner's own online store too) for about a week now.  The others have also seen rock bottom prices (below $10 each) for quite some time as well -- that's how I bought The Graduate and Raging Bull some time ago myself.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 08 2010 - 01:16 PM

Wow, this thread is dead slow this week. Even without that high profile doc, BOOBS...id figure The Round Up would have more than 8 or 9 posts in its 1500 views! You know, from all that increased traffic on the forum.  

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 08 2010 - 05:47 PM

You never know what is going to pop up at Costco. Today I browsed the movie section to find they were selling Bewitched season boxes for $12.99 each. They had all of them except season 1 and only the colorized version of season 2. I hadn't yet purchased the final three seasons so I jumped on 'em!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thanks as usual Mike & Patrick for the WRU.

I'd like to get Couples' Retreat and The Time Traveler's Wife, both on BD, but I'm hesitating because of the pricing (especially on TTTW).  I've been looking for coupons for either one and haven't been successful.  I might be holding off a couple of weeks on these and hope / wait for a price drop.

I've got A Serious Man in my Netflix Queue and rented Ice Castles from Redbox today.

For anyone that's interested in picking-up Ice Castles on DVD, Sony Pictures has a $5.00 off coupon:

GET $5 OFF
WHEN YOU BUY THE ALL NEW REMAKE ON DVD!
HURRY, OFFER EXPIRES MARCH 16TH.

Link: http://www.sonypictu.../specialoffers/

Does anyone know of any coupons for Couples' Retreat and / or The Time Traveler's Wife on BD?

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,844 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 09 2010 - 09:16 AM

Jeff:

My wife is anxious to see The Time Traveler's Wife.  My strategy is to hold her off as long as possible.  I figure since the film isn't supposed to be all that good (say the critics) it will be showing up in "used" bins pretty darn quick.  That's where I'll be looking for it. 

And, if that doesn't work, I'll buy a used DVD from my local rental shop when they finally hit there. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 01:39 AM

Good strategy Mike.  I'm not having any problems holding my wife off - we saw it in theaters and she thought it was only ok.  My problem is my 3 teen daughters - the oldest of which also saw it in theaters and is dying to see it again.  And this has caused further excitement in her sisters.  I'm not sure how long I can hold them off. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif">

I had hoped to at least rent it this week from Redbox to tide them over, but there are not stocking it in my area. Oh well, at least I rented Ice Castles for them. <br /></span>

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3549380' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3549380); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3549380') ) { $('multiq_3549380').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3549380') ) { $('toggle_post_3549380').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3549380] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 10 2010 - 12:14 PM

I'm sure it's already known but the Ice Castles is a remake not the original with Robbie Benson.
Also The Phamtom and Running Man on blu is $11.99 at amazon and $10 at some walmarts.

facebook.com/whotony