What's new

Can I leave my Plasma TV on for a long period of time? (1 Viewer)

johnliu22

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnathan
Hello, I recently purchased an LG60PS70 (A plasma tv) and I'm in the process of breaking it in. I'm running a slideshow of colours that I found online for breaking it in but I'm curious as to how long I can leave my plasma on. Can I damage my television if I leave it on for too long, can it overheat? What is the recommended amount of time to leave it on for and also, I will be going away for a week starting this upcoming wednesday. Can I just let this run the whole time?

Thank you,
-John

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't let it run for a week without anyone checking on it. I do not believe you run any risk of overheating . . . my concern would be what happens if the slideshow freezes on one image? You could come home to a permanently red burned-in screen. The odds are fairly slim . . . especially if you are using a SD card to run the show from . . . but there's still a chance that could happen which would be enough to keep me from doing that with my new plasma.

johnliu22

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnathan
What about while I'm still in town? Can I leave it on all day and night as long as I keep checking in on it when I can? I come home between work and school and so I can clearly check on it then and also when I wake up and right before going to bed. Or would it be best to let the tv "rest" for at least a couple hours per day?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Johnathan -- I don't think there is any reason to let the tv rest for any period of time. The tv should not overheat unless you have the fans blocked or have it in a very tightly enclosed area.

Sumner -- Burn-in is not a concern for LCD. Even with plasma it is becoming less and less of a concern with each generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks