Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I leave my Plasma TV on for a long period of time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   johnliu22

johnliu22

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hello, I recently purchased an LG60PS70 (A plasma tv) and I'm in the process of breaking it in. I'm running a slideshow of colours that I found online for breaking it in but I'm curious as to how long I can leave my plasma on. Can I damage my television if I leave it on for too long, can it overheat? What is the recommended amount of time to leave it on for and also, I will be going away for a week starting this upcoming wednesday. Can I just let this run the whole time?

Thank you,
-John

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 12:09 AM

I wouldn't let it run for a week without anyone checking on it.  I do not believe you run any risk of overheating . . . my concern would be what happens if the slideshow freezes on one image?  You could come home to a permanently red burned-in screen.  The odds are fairly slim . . . especially if you are using a SD card to run the show from . . . but there's still a chance that could happen which would be enough to keep me from doing that with my new plasma.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   johnliu22

johnliu22

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 07:05 AM

What about while I'm still in town? Can I leave it on all day and night as long as I keep checking in on it when I can? I come home between work and school and so I can clearly check on it then and also when I wake up and right before going to bed. Or would it be best to let the tv "rest" for at least a couple hours per day?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted February 06 2010 - 10:37 AM

Not quite the subject- If the TV was LCD are there also problems?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 03:14 PM

Johnathan -- I don't think there is any reason to let the tv rest for any period of time.  The tv should not overheat unless you have the fans blocked or have it in a very tightly enclosed area.

Sumner -- Burn-in is not a concern for LCD.  Even with plasma it is becoming less and less of a concern with each generation.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   johnliu22

johnliu22

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks alot for your help by the way.