Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: DROP ZONE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 04:08 PM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,916 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the review, Michael. This is one that I never did catch, so I might pick it up to watch one Saturday afternoon. I now eagerly await another review I know you have in the pipeline involving Christian Slater and one heck of a rain storm!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,606 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 07 2010 - 02:47 AM

Good review Michael. I'll probably pick this up eventually.

There was another skydiving action film in 1994, out just a couple of months before Drop Zone - Terminal Velocity, starring Charlie Sheen. I remember renting both films on video probably in the same week. Drop Zone was better but Velocity did have a memorable bit with a car falling out of a plane and I think the leading lady, Nastassia Kinski, trapped in the boot. And 007, sorry Sheen, trying to save her, best scene in the film.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the review Michael.  I still remember seeing the trailer for this movie when I saw Star Trek Generations in the movie theater back in the day. 

When this hit HBO, I was struck by how far over the top the whole movie was - all the way into the land of complete unintentional hilarity.  I mean, how can you take seriously a movie where a guy (This isn't a key character at all, so this doesn't spoil the movie) has his parachute not open, and yet he still somehow is alive upon hitting the water?!!!   This, while the movie's score by Hans Zimmer goes sailing over the moon.  (Zimmer has admitted that he fell into this while scoring the movie, and that he probably wasn't scoring with the movie so much as laughing at it in his own way...)   Then you have how the bad guy deals with someone he doesn't like in the middle of a jump...

And when you get to the final confrontation between hero and villain, I admit bursting into uncontrollable, loud laughter.  I mean, really!!!!

Still, it's a really fun movie.  I'll probably rent the Blu-ray when I catch up on my queue.  And I think it's the last major Gary Busey role to speak of.  I could be wrong about this, but this was the last big bang remember of his, up to today...

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 14 2010 - 11:18 AM

Watched it because of Hans Zimmer.
Great year for cinema watching.

James Gandolfini in Terminal Velocity (pre Sopranos).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users