Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saving Private Ryan - Bluray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   zonk

zonk

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 10:08 AM

Just saw a posting for Saving Private Ryan - Bluray at AmazonUk, release date 4/26

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 05 2010 - 10:56 AM

Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.co...65414160&sr=1-2

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hooray!  Now, if they could only redo the soundtrack for home theaters, or at least re-EQ it so I don't have to apply additional processing...

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 03:30 AM

It's up for pre-order at U.S. Amazon, but there's no release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Private-Ryan-Blu-ray-Damon/dp/B0035WTJBG/ref=amb_link_49429822_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0ZGJ543GDRFW9BC6D7K5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=98051042&pf_rd_i=193640011 

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 08 2010 - 05:14 AM

The release date is May 4th.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,217 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 08 2010 - 05:29 AM

Thanks, Robert.

That's one to look forward to.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 08 2010 - 05:56 AM

Looking forward to this one.

The DVD I have is from way back in 1999, so this should be a notable upgrade.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Scott!

Scott!

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 06:41 AM

Day one purchase for sure!

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,738 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 12:23 PM

Finally! As soon as I know that Paramount hasn't screwed up the transfer this is a definite purchase.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 04:41 AM

This'll be a must buy.

Death before Streaming!

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 08:46 AM

I'm curious about the potential for a DNR screwup here with these Speilberg/Dreamworks titles. Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan and (eventually) A.I. all have that stylized grainy look. Imagine if someone tried to strip this all away? Oh dear.

Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

Finally!

As soon as I know that Paramount hasn't screwed up the transfer this is a definite purchase.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,291 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:39 AM

My guess is, this being a Spielberg title, it will be done correctly.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:10 AM

I agree that Spielberg will insist it be done right, considering how he swears by film.  Also, I hope that Gangs of New York and strong rumors of a Gladiator reissue are indications that studios are starting to get the message.

Although, I don't take the shrink wrap off without confirmation of a good transfer either.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:50 AM

Assuming of course that Spielberg *is* involved. Taking into account past DVD releases and the Close Encounters Blu-Ray set, I would say the chances are good that the pending BD releases will have his oversight.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 10 2010 - 07:27 AM

As a DreamWorks (Spielberg's current company) product, it would be shocking to not have his input.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

As a DreamWorks (Spielberg's current company) product, it would be shocking to not have his input.
I'm not sure its a DreamWorks product anymore. When Spielberg left Paramount, most of the DreamWorks films stayed there. I don't know if that applies to Spielberg directed films or not. The listing on Amazon says Paramount, and nothing about DreamWorks.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:24 PM

Saving Private Ryan was a Paramount/DreamWorks co-production. As part of the de-merger, Paramount may have retained North American distribution rights to those co-productions, or alternatively, they may hold video distribution rights for a certain period of time (much like MGM did with its pre-1987 product after Warner bought Turner Entertainment).

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,977 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I'm not sure its a DreamWorks product anymore. When Spielberg left Paramount, most of the DreamWorks films stayed there. I don't know if that applies to Spielberg directed films or not. The listing on Amazon says Paramount, and nothing about DreamWorks.

Doug

While the picture does belong to Paramount, Amblin Entertainment, which is still owned by Spielberg, has a piece of the action and the film will have Mr. Spielberg's stamp of approval on it.  He also has the same approval with his films that Universal has.  That is one of the hold ups with those films making it to Blu-ray.  I cannot wait to get my hands on a Blu-ray version on 1941, Jaws, Always, Schindler's List and Empire of the Sun.
Ryan will be buy, but not a blind buy.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

Saving Private Ryan was a Paramount/DreamWorks co-production. As part of the de-merger, Paramount may have retained North American distribution rights to those co-productions, or alternatively, they may hold video distribution rights for a certain period of time (much like MGM did with its pre-1987 product after Warner bought Turner Entertainment).
Actually it wasn't a merger. Paramount bought DreamWorks for 1.6 billion dollars. However I found the information I was looking for about the DreamWorks library.

Quote:
On March 17, 2006, Paramount agreed to sell a controlling interest in the DreamWorks live-action library (pre-09/16/2005; DW Funding, LLC) to Soros Strategic Partners and Dune Entertainment II  The film library is valued at $900 million. Paramount retained the worldwide distribution rights to these films, as well as various ancillary rights, including music publishing, sequels, and merchandising—this includes films that had been made by Paramount and DreamWorks. The sale was completed on May 8, 2006
I assume this means that Ryan will be a Paramount release.

Doug

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

While the picture does belong to Paramount, Amblin Entertainment, which is still owned by Spielberg, has a piece of the action and the film will have Mr. Spielberg's stamp of approval on it.  He also has the same approval with his films that Universal has.  That is one of the hold ups with those films making it to Blu-ray.  I cannot wait to get my hands on a Blu-ray version on 1941, Jaws, Always, Schindler's List and Empire of the Sun. 

Ryan will be buy, but not a blind buy.

I'm not entirely sure that Amblin still holds any rights to Ryan or any of the other films it co-produced with DreamWorks and Paramount, but it’s possible.

My understanding is that Spielberg's deal with Universal means that he owns all the films he directed there after E.T., with Universal having a long term distribution deal. I'm sure however that even after not being able to make a deal with them for DreamWorks, they still have a cozy enough relationship that Universal wouldn't release Sugarland, Jaws or 1941 with out Spielberg's involvement. By the way Empire of the Sun is a co production with Warner Bros. not Universal.

I'm a huge 1941 fan and can't wait to get my hands on a blu-ray of that one.

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users