What's new

Universal Backlot series still alive : Barbara Stanwyck on 4/27/10 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Universal's backlot series is alive and well and on April 27, 2010 (yes, these are pressed discs) they will issue a Barbara Stanwyck set consisting of INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937), THE GREAT MAN'S LADY (1942), THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS (1946), THE LADY GAMBLES (1949) and two of Douglas Sirk's best ALL I DESIRE (1953) and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956).

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
You can never have too much Barbara Stanwyck... or Douglas Sirk for that matter.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Awesome! I hope through solid sales a message can be sent to Warners, Universal et al about our preferred format... It's a great collection with some terrific and long-wanted Babs pics.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Excellent! I actually get to buy some movies in April. I've had money burning a whole in my pocket, but none of the other studios want it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937) ,
The first film appearance of Dr. Kildaire. Joel McCrea played the part in this film. Can't wait.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Was hoping that the next Backlot collection would be Volume 2 of Pre-Code Hollywood, but some Stanwyck will appease me. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Always nice to see another studio capable of producing pressed discs.

Hopefully they get around to a Blacklot Film Noir set before the DVD market goes completely belly-up.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This is a must buy. Thank you Universal for continuing to release excellent titles on standard DVD. I will continue to your support you releases in this format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jim_K

It's easy for us to blame the studios, but I don't think it's fair considering the state of the economy and that outside of a small segment of classic film fans, not enough people are buying these releases for them to be profitable enough for the studios.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

It's easy for us to blame the studios, but I don't think it's fair considering the state of the economy and that outside of a small segment of classic film fans, not enough people are buying these releases for them to be profitable enough for the studios.
Yet certain studios (and boutique labels) continue to produce pressed discs in this climate, that fact can't be ignored. For most of these companies, not nearly as much as a few years ago, but that's to be expected. Since the studios/labels aren't in business to release these as a favor to us, it only stands to reason that they must be finding a way to make enough ROI to continue releasing more. How they do it in this economy, I don't know....but good for them.

No doubt that "profitable enough" varies by studio/company as well as their skill in marketing their product.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Jim_K /forum/thread/297863/universal-backlot-series-still-alive-barbara-stanwyck-on-4-27-10#post_3658214

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
"It's easy to blame the studios..."
Well, i'm guessing the grousing would have been reduced in half at least had Warners [who initiated this shaft, er shift] not tried to sell the cheap-knock off stuff at full pressed prices. That would seem to suggest that while they're cognizant of the current economic conditions, but have no understanding that it is also effecting their customers.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Backlot collection so far has had a decidely feminine tilt to it. Most of what was on this collection or the Claudette Colbert Colletion or the Pre-Code Collection would have been date movies at most, or purely "women's pictures" when originally released. The odd thing about it is that Universal has been releasing some fairly obscure films while many other better known films it owns have never been put on DVD. If the trend continues, I would suggest a Veronica Lake collection. Granted, she wasn't in the same league with Claudette Colbert or Barbara Stanwyck acting-wise, but it would be a great pretext for releasing The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, and I Married a Witch on DVD. Better yet, release a Veronica Lake-Paulette Goddard Backlot Collection, include those three films plus Paulette Goddard's two unreleased films with Bob Hope The Cat and the Canary and Nothing But the Truth (reportedly two of his best) and Goddard's Kitty (Leonard Maltin calls it one of her best roles) or Northwest Mounted Police. I am grateful for anything but a Backlot Collection with The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, I Married a Witch, The Cat and the Canary, Nothing But the Truth, and Kitty would be cause for a major cellebration.

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Blue Dahlia and Glass Key are available from UK Universal if you have a region free player. I watched both together this afternoon. Great prints of both.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
My thoughts exactly.

Universal and Sony continue to release pressed discs and I'll support that first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks