-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal Backlot series still alive : Barbara Stanwyck on 4/27/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,155 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 05:42 AM

Universal's backlot series is alive and well and on April 27, 2010 (yes, these are pressed discs) they will issue a Barbara Stanwyck set consisting of INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937), THE GREAT MAN'S LADY (1942), THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS (1946), THE LADY GAMBLES (1949) and two of Douglas Sirk's best ALL I DESIRE (1953) and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956).

#2 of 32 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 05:46 AM

You can never have too much Barbara Stanwyck... or Douglas Sirk for that matter.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 32 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 06:26 AM

Awesome! I hope through solid sales a message can be sent to Warners, Universal et al about our preferred format... It's a great collection with some terrific and long-wanted Babs pics.

#4 of 32 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 06:32 AM

Excellent!  I actually get to buy some movies in April.  I've had money burning a whole in my pocket, but none of the other studios want it.

#5 of 32 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 07:00 AM

Wonderful news! Must have for me! :)

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#6 of 32 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 07:07 AM

Sounds great! Any word on extras?
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#7 of 32 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 08:21 AM

INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937) ,
The first film appearance of Dr. Kildaire. Joel McCrea played the part in this film. Can't wait.

#8 of 32 ColbyCo82

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 09:23 AM

Was hoping that the next Backlot collection would be Volume 2 of Pre-Code Hollywood, but some Stanwyck will appease me. :)
Most Wanted on DVD: The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929), Strangers May Kiss (1931),  Letty Lynton (1932), Her Wedding Night (1931), 24 Hours (1931), The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (1930), Unfaithful (1931),  While the City Sleeps (1928), The Greene Murder Case (1929)

#9 of 32 Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 10:27 AM

I have the Sirks in R2 but getting this nevertheless. It put a smile on my face.

#10 of 32 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 02:57 PM

YASSS!!!! This is gonna slay.

Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#11 of 32 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 08:50 PM

Very pleased about The Lady Gambles.

#12 of 32 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 01:12 AM

Always nice to see another studio capable of producing pressed discs.

Hopefully they get around to a Blacklot Film Noir set before the DVD market goes completely belly-up.

Death before Streaming!

#13 of 32 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,601 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 06 2010 - 02:20 AM

This is a must buy.  Thank you Universal for continuing to release excellent titles on standard DVD.  I will continue to your support you releases in this format.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 32 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,325 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 06 2010 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K 

It's easy for us to blame the studios, but I don't think it's fair considering the state of the economy and that outside of a small segment of classic film fans, not enough people are buying these releases for them to be profitable enough for the studios. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#15 of 32 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

It's easy for us to blame the studios, but I don't think it's fair considering the state of the economy and that outside of a small segment of classic film fans, not enough people are buying these releases for them to be profitable enough for the studios. 

Yet certain studios (and boutique labels) continue to produce pressed discs in this climate, that fact can't be ignored.   For most of these companies, not nearly as much as a few years ago, but that's to be expected.  Since the studios/labels aren't in business to release these as a favor to us, it only stands to reason that they must be finding a way to make enough ROI to continue releasing more.  How they do it in this economy, I don't know....but good for them.

No doubt that "profitable enough"  varies by studio/company as well as their skill in marketing their product.

Death before Streaming!

#16 of 32 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 05:55 AM

Quote:

Yet certain studios (and boutique labels) continue to produce pressed discs in this climate, that fact can't be ignored.   For most of these companies, not nearly as much as a few years ago, but that's to be expected.  Since the studios/labels aren't in business to release these as a favor to us, it only stands to reason that they must be finding a way to make enough ROI to continue releasing more.  How they do it in this economy, I don't know....but good for them.

No doubt that "profitable enough"  varies by studio/company as well as their skill in marketing their product.

Personally, I think this is the magic answer.  If you're not consistently increasing shareholder value, then you're falling behind.  Unfortunately, that's the bad that goes with being a massive conglomerate.  It's not whether you're making a profit, it's how much you're increasing that profit.

Warner could in all likelyhood release pressed discs and continue to make money at it...just not enough money to impress whoever needs to be impressed.  Particularly now that they've come up with this other way of making money that requires so much less effort.  Of course the overall market for this method is limited so when something has broader sales potential, they'll bless us with a pressed disc.  Ironically, you, me and everyone else who has a piece of Time Warner in our 401k mutual funds are partially responsible for this.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#17 of 32 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 07:28 PM

"It's easy to blame the studios..."
Well, i'm guessing the grousing would have been reduced in half at least had Warners [who initiated this shaft, er shift] not tried to sell the cheap-knock off stuff at full pressed prices. That would seem to suggest that while they're cognizant of the current economic conditions, but have no understanding that it is also effecting their customers.

#18 of 32 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,812 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 09:09 AM

The Backlot collection so far has had a decidely feminine tilt to it.  Most of what was on this collection or the Claudette Colbert Colletion or the Pre-Code Collection would have been date movies at most, or purely "women's pictures" when originally released.  The odd thing about it is that Universal has been releasing some fairly obscure films while many other better known films it owns have never been put on DVD.  If the trend continues, I would suggest a Veronica Lake collection.  Granted, she wasn't in the same league with Claudette Colbert or Barbara Stanwyck acting-wise, but it would be a great pretext for releasing The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, and I Married a Witch on DVD.  Better yet, release a Veronica Lake-Paulette Goddard Backlot Collection, include those three films plus Paulette Goddard's two unreleased films with Bob Hope The Cat and the Canary and Nothing But the Truth (reportedly two of his best) and Goddard's Kitty (Leonard Maltin calls it one of her best roles) or Northwest Mounted Police.  I am grateful for anything but a Backlot Collection with The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, I Married a Witch, The Cat and the Canary, Nothing But the Truth, and Kitty would be cause for a major cellebration.

#19 of 32 Jay_J

Jay_J

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 10:23 AM

Blue Dahlia and Glass Key are available from UK Universal if you have a region free player. I watched both together this afternoon. Great prints of both.
JJ

#20 of 32 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Universal and Sony continue to release pressed discs and I'll support that first.