Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: Traffic (Blu-ray Combo)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,577 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 11:42 PM

Posted Image

Traffic (Blu-ray + DVD Combo Disc)

Headline Date:  TBA
Release Date:  4/27/2010

TRAFFIC
Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: USA
Theatrical Release: 12/27/2000

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 03:31 AM

Wow.  At least those glaring yellow bands on the cover-art will provide easy, significant warning to stay away from the combo disks!

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#3 of 11 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper 

Wow.  At least those glaring yellow bands on the cover-art will provide easy, significant warning to stay away from the combo disks!
Yes. As if the combo thing weren't bad enough, now they're ruining the cover art as well!

#4 of 11 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 10:40 AM

2 disc combo, or single or hybrid, or nothing (no flippers).

#5 of 11 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 03:55 AM

Universal's HD-DVD of this was a standard-definition upconvert.  Hopefully they got their hands on an actual HD master for this Blu-ray.

Vincent

#6 of 11 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 05:49 AM

I don't care if it's a flipper or not, but the big yellow band and the big blue one at the bottom look hideous to me.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#7 of 11 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 06:04 AM

I estimate there to be approximately a zero percent chance of the final retail product having that hideous yellow banner.

#8 of 11 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink 

I estimate there to be approximately a zero percent chance of the final retail product having that hideous yellow banner.
Yeah, but the hideous blue banner on the bottom is on the covers too (although they may not be blue all the time), so I think the chance is bigger than zero percent. Although it might end up smaller.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#9 of 11 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:56 PM

This is probably one of those titles that I won't mind just sticking w/ my old DVD, especially if it comes on that flipper format.

Maybe if I see it in some bargain bin deal (for under $10) at some point, I might consider picking it up...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#10 of 11 CynthiaF200

CynthiaF200

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 07:50 AM

Why didn't Criterion get their hands on releasing this to Blu-ray? Guess I'll make a custom disc label for this if I ever buy it.

#11 of 11 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,026 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 16 2010 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaF200 

Why didn't Criterion get their hands on releasing this to Blu-ray? Guess I'll make a custom disc label for this if I ever buy it.
Simple: Universal decided that it would be more profitable to release it themselves than to license Blu-ray rights to Criterion. They already did this for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Do the Right Thing.

Other titles licensed to Criterion from Universal (and still in print) are:

51 - Brazil
57 - Charade
70 - The Last Temptation of Christ
95 - All That Heaven Allows
96 - Written on the Wind
103 - The Lady Eve
105 - Spartacus
109 - The Scarlet Empress
114 - My Man Godfrey
118 - Sullivan's Travels
170 - Trouble In Paradise
176 - The Killers
248 - Videodrome
336 - Dazed and Confused
381 - La Haine
414 - Two-Lane Blacktop
423 - Walker
428 - Blast of Silence
436 - Before the Rain
449 - Missing
457 - Magnificent Obsession
485 - The Last Days of Disco
489 - Monsoon Wedding
505 - Make Way for Tomorrow
514 - Ride with the Devil

Monsoon Wedding is already out on Blu, while Ride with the Devil is coming out shortly. If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Universal keeping Spartacus and Dazed and Confused for themselves, as they released those two on HD-DVD. All others probably get licensed to Criterion for Blu release if Criterion wants to make that choice. I'd expect Brazil to be their highest priority.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users