Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: Dune (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,094 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image

Dune Blu-ray Release

Headline Date:  TBA
Release Date:  4/27/2010

DUNE
Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 12/14/1984

From Home Theater Forum:  No further information at this time.  This is simply a release date indicator

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 04:17 AM

Hopefully this won't be a combo, and will include the extended cut, despite it being disowned by Lynch.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,485 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 04 2010 - 04:24 AM

Unfortunately, I think the extended cut will be on there.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 06:49 AM

As long as both cuts are on there, I'll be happy to replace the double-sided DVD.  I remember having a bitch of a time getting a copy of that disc that actually worked past the layer change without freezing.  Count me in as one that doesn't want a combo disc for this release.

Recently watched- Arrow: Season 2,The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D, Phantasm II, Star Trek: Season 1, The Expendables 3, The Monuments Men, Oculus, The Sessions, A Walk Among The Tombstones, Commando, Goon, Michael Jackson's This Is It, American Reunion, Platoon, American Wedding

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek: Season 2, Band Of Brothers

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain."

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,182 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted February 05 2010 - 07:32 AM

Yeah, no combo disc for me, either. Although I'm someone who slightly prefers the extended TV cut (minus those awful random bits and pieces) to Lynch's theatrical cut, due to the legitimately-great added footage. But I also watch the shorter version on occasion, too.

Just give me a better transfer than what was on the 2006 DVD, please, Universal -- it was a major letdown, especially compared to the eye-popping theatrical version that aired on Starz! and HDNet.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 12:54 PM

Anyone know whether the HDDVD had both cuts on it?

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer 

Anyone know whether the HDDVD had both cuts on it?

It was just the theatrical version.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,182 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:46 AM

The Digital Bits just confirmed it -- the Blu-Ray is the theatrical version only. So hold onto your 2006 DVDs, if you like the extended cut.

(I'm still grabbing this on Day One, though.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,485 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 09 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm glad that they're respecting Lynch's wishes for the movie. I'd like to see the footage as a supplement though.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 08:29 AM

I figured this would be the case. Since I don't have the extended version yet, I think this one just made it onto the "if it's too cheap to pass up" list. I have no doubt it will resurface with the longer cut later, they just probably don't have an HD master for it yet.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,106 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 09 2010 - 01:09 PM

The extended cut is really a mixed bag, since it cuts the PG-13 level violence and the prologue is cropped for 2.35:1. I'm actually kind of glad this is only the theatrical cut, but would love it if Universal saw fit to get Lynch to come back and assemble a true Director's Cut. We all know that's not going to happen, though./img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 02:17 PM

Well....now that it's confirmed that it's only the theatrical cut, this will be a BIG pass for me.  You know they will double dip on this in the long run......I will no longer play their stupid game.  I can live with the DVD of both cuts until that day comes.

Recently watched- Arrow: Season 2,The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D, Phantasm II, Star Trek: Season 1, The Expendables 3, The Monuments Men, Oculus, The Sessions, A Walk Among The Tombstones, Commando, Goon, Michael Jackson's This Is It, American Reunion, Platoon, American Wedding

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek: Season 2, Band Of Brothers

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain."

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 09 2010 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D 

Well....now that it's confirmed that it's only the theatrical cut, this will be a BIG pass for me.  You know they will double dip on this in the long run......I will no longer play their stupid game.  I can live with the DVD of both cuts until that day comes.

Same here.  No sale this time.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,140 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 09 2010 - 02:51 PM

I'd just love to have the miniseries on BD.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,094 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 12:23 AM

I don't understand this.

Well, perhaps I do...because we all know how the studios love
to make people double-dip.

I'm not really a fan of DUNE at all.  However, I can clearly
sympathise with those that feel very short-handed about the
studio not releasing the extended version on a format that
should support the very best a studio can do with their titles. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 04:08 AM

Even though I don't like the T.V. cut as a stand-alone work, the added footage itself is mostly very good (at least what I call the "legitimate" added footage is-  the ridiculous repeated shots of ships flying, the stupid prologue, etc., is part of what makes the TV cut NOT work as a whole), and Universal went through the trouble of remastering it in HD for the previous DVD release  (If one were to place the deleted footage itself back into the body of the theatrical cut-  which I did when I made my own "fan edit" of the film using the previous DVD versions as a source-  yeah, I'm a geek...-  you end up with a film that's a lot more coherent, rich in character, and likely much closer to Lynch's actual intentions than either the actual theatrical or the TV cuts on their own).  So why sit on it?  I can only guess it's as Ronald suggests, for an inevitable double-dip.  But it certainly doesn't help promote Blu-ray as a format when the DVD has an entire alternate version of the film included that's entirely missing from the Blu-ray.  Let's just hope universal doesn't pull this crap when they get around to releasing LEGEND or MALLRATS on Blu.

Vincent

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 05:02 AM

I think we can all agree that Universal will be releasing  the TV cut at some point, especially if they already have a HD transfer. Even though, like others, I don't consider the TV version to be superior, I also don't find the theatrical version all that great due to the heavy handed editing, so neither are the true vision of this film IMO. It's pretty clear that an official director's cut isn't going to happen, but perhaps a third party under Lynch's direction could recut it to be closer to the original intent. Okay, so I won't hold my breath....

I agree with Vincent that I won't be pleased if Legend doesn't get a release mirroring the content of the ultimate DVD set, although I suspect that Scott may have more influence on the handling of his catalogue than Lynch does judging by the releases (or lack thereof) of their respective works on home video.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 08:16 AM

Universal is being very frustrating on this front for several titles: Waterworld didn't include the extended cut that was recently released on DVD, Apollo 13 is not including the IMAX cut, Dune is not including the extended cut, "Pirate Radio" is not including The Boat That Rocked UK cut; it's especially confusing because Universal has used seamless branching for a lot of titles: King Kong, The Strangers, Death Race...why can't they do it all the time (I do understand there's no way seamless branching could work for Apollo 13 since it's a different aspect ratio for the IMAX cut).

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Alex cosmo

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 01:46 PM

Dune is an unusual situation though isn't it? The extended cut is so totally disowned by the director that his name has been taken off it (twice), maybe it's bad PR to keep releasing that version and they only included it on dvd to squash the bootleg demand for it.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex cosmo 

Dune is an unusual situation though isn't it? The extended cut is so totally disowned by the director that his name has been taken off it (twice), maybe it's bad PR to keep releasing that version and they only included it on dvd to squash the bootleg demand for it.

So why not release it again on Blu-ray.  Oh wait, I know, they can come back with special edition with both versions in 2012 when the Paramount 3D remake is released to theatres.  As for me - I am very happy with the Standard DVD.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman