Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: Apollo 13 (15th Anniversary Edition) (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,315 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 07:09 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,325 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 03 2010 - 07:55 AM

Excellent news!  This is a title I've been axiously waiting for ever since I switched to Blu-Ray.  This one never gets old, and it's one of only a handful of movies I'll happily upgrade and re-buy forever!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 08:26 AM

Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies, and I'm very excited to see it being release on Blu-ray.  It would be nice if they'd included the truncated Imax cut, too, as did the last DVD release, but overall, this seems like a promising release. 

How was the quality of the HD-DVD version?  Can we expect the same transfer to be re-used?

#4 of 40 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,441 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 03 2010 - 08:49 AM

Quote:
But soon, four words from Spacecraft Commander Jim Lovell would change all that: “Houston, we have a problem.”

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 09:08 AM

Heh, it took me a moment to figure out why you thought that was so funny.

#6 of 40 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,441 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 03 2010 - 09:11 AM

Don't you wonder how many people proofread this stuff before it gets released? 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:18 PM

I guess if I have the Collector's Edition DVD, the DTS Edition DVD and the 2-disc with the IMAX, it makes sense to get this too....might as well go for four!

That's a LOT of audio tracks. Are all Universal titles like this? Yikes.

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,695 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 01:52 PM

Now THAT is funny!  I just about choked reading that quote.

Recently watched- Burn Notice: Season 5, Riddick, The Chronicles Of Riddick, The Postman, The Hunger, April Love, Summer Lovers, Journey To The Center Of The Earth(1959), The Bounty, Mississippi Burning, The Wolf Of Wall Street, First Men In The Moon, The Jewel Of The Nile, Romancing The Stone, They Live, Into The Storm, John Wick, Finding Nemo 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 4, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 6, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Walking Dead: Season 5

"You keep what you kill."

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 09 2010 - 04:44 AM

This is going straight on the buy list, especially since it is not a "combo" disc.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,246 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 05:20 AM

We have...we've had...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades, right?

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#11 of 40 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,441 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina [url=/forum/thread/297762/ushe-press-release-apollo-13-15th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray#post_3659057]

But soon, four words from Spacecraft Commander Jim Lovell would change all that: “Houston, we have a problem.”

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,306 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:12 AM

Fire the proofreading department!!!!! *

*Assuming they have one.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 40 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,441 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:24 AM

"We apologise again for the fault in the press release. Those
responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked
have been sacked." 

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by AaronMK [url=/forum/thread/297762/ushe-press-release-apollo-13-15th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray#post_3659039]

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#15 of 40 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,497 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 10 2010 - 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong [url=/forum/thread/297762/ushe-press-release-apollo-13-15th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray#post_3659696]

_Man_

Explain to me how the BD is potentially compromised by the flipper format?

Crawdaddy

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Crawdaddy

Robert,

Didn't we already go thru this in the other couple threads on the subject?

I'm not claiming it'll *definitely* be compromised (to a practical degree).  But it is quite reasonable to think that any such combo flipper format has the potential to compromise the integrity of the BD side(among other issues that may only be a matter of personal pref or usage pattern).  And a few anecdotal examples that a handful of newly minted discs played fine on a handful of players doesn't prove anything other than that some discs work fine w/in a month or two of release -- that is not exactly a reliable test of the flipper format (or rather, the deployment of that format).  I don't personally buy these discs only to watch them once w/in the first few months of release, and I'm sure you and many others here don't either.

I'm also not saying that I will never be convinced that my concerns regarding the flipper combo-disc format can/will never be relieved.  I'm just not prepared to simply accept they're perfectly good and reliable at this point -- heck, I'm not even 100% sure that all BD-only discs will be perfectly good/reliable as it is given the issues we still see from time to time, but adding more complications on top of those issues isn't exactly the direction I'd want to see the (overall BD) format go.  Besides, it's not like we all really need the DVD side for more than a couple more years or so anyway, do we?  And in the cases of these older, popular catalog titles, most of us also already own the DVD, so there's really not much point to taking the extra risks, etc. w/ a combo flipper for that.

And yes, I'm not one to love the idea of being on the bleeding edge of tech most of the time.  That's partly why I remain very reluctant about the new flipper combo format (for now)...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#17 of 40 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,497 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 11 2010 - 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong 

Robert,

Didn't we already go thru this in the other couple threads on the subject?

_Man_

Not with me.  Whether you buy these type of discs isn't of any concern of mine because that's your personal choice and business.  I just didn't quite understand your comment about flippers compromising the Blu-ray format. 

Crawdaddy

#18 of 40 ONLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,124 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
How was the quality of the HD-DVD version?  Can we expect the same transfer to be re-used?

Carl, I was very pleased with the HD-DVD version.  This was a pretty early release so admittedly I was more easily "blown away" by those releases, but I thought the color saturation was incredible on this title; coming from an NTSC format like DVD.  Particularly loved the costuming at the Lovell household early in the film, and the shots of Hanks during the recovery phase.

It has been awhile since I've viewed the HD-DVD but my guess is that it still holds up pretty well even this far into the lifespan of HD media.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 11 2010 - 07:00 PM

Quote:

I'll echo _Man_'s sentiments about the durability being an issue for me.  The failure rates of DVD-18 and HD-DVD combos have left a bad taste in my mouth.  Maybe they finally know how manufacture these things, but only time will tell.  Personally, I'm glad Apollo 13 is going to have cover art, even the lackluster Universal variety.  Without it, the disc has a cheap feel that makes it look like it came straight out of a blank disc spindle.

Granted, for a title like Apollo 13, these wouldn't be a deal breaker.  Still, I feel better purchasing something with a more proven longevity.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

Quote:

I'll echo _Man_'s sentiments about the durability being an issue for me.  The failure rates of DVD-18 and HD-DVD combos have left a bad taste in my mouth. 

What exactly were the failure rates, does anyone really know? I personally haven't had a single DVD-18 or HD DVD combo fail. I have however had 3 blu-rays and several DVD-9s fail. But that is anecdotal. I have no idea what the actual percent of disc failure has been and I doubt anyone on this forum does.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users