What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At least one big surprise in the Best Picture category.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/02/oscar-nominations-2010-full-list

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Not sure what one you think is a surprise but I think A Serious Man is because who the heck saw it.

Also should't Christph Waltz been in best actor category?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

They actually have a mistake on that list. They have Diane Kruger nominated for Best Supporting Actress instead of Anna Kendrick.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
District 9 is nominated for Best Picture? It was a fun movie but 500 Days Of Summer or Adventureland or The Road or Funny People or Away We Go or Star Trek or even Watchmen were much better movies than that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what happened to the other posts in this thread including mine?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It was clear we were in the process of posting our own list
and someone jumped to link to other sites and then quote
the previous link. The link had an incorrect entry as well.
I was only 5-10 minutes behind because I was attempting
to post correct information direct from the Oscar site.
However, I updated the information very quickly and it
was quite apparent we would have our list up shortly.

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but wish you guys had given
us the opportunity to finish what we clearly started first.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn't read what was in that link, I was wondering what Sam thought was a surprise, as I mentioned in the other post I though A Serious Man is a surprise because who actually saw the movie.

I thought Christoph Waltz should have been in best Actor not supporting

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think Waltz was clearly a supporting role in a set of an ensemble, and he'll win.

Very glad to see "Up!" get a much, much deserved "Best Picture" nod. Makes me feel good there :)

In regards to the list: I haven't seen "A Serious Man" or "An Education", but I have seen "The Road", and I read & loved the book.. that film deserved to get shutout. Completely shutout. That's all on that. I wouldn't put District 9 on my list, though I know some who loved it.. *shrug* to be honest, this was a bad year to expand to 10 nominated.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TonyD

A Serious Man is a surprise because who actually saw the movie.

I did. One of the darkest, funniest Coen Bros. films ever, but I'm surprised it made the list.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I did. One of the darkest, funniest Coen Bros. films ever, but I'm surprised it made the list.
I agree watched it a couple days ago,I liked it very much but took me a bit of thought. Too bad not many people had a chance to see it.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Anyone care to speculate which 5 pictures would have been nominated if they had stuck to the norm?

I think Up would have been one of the 5. I truly do.
Here's my guess:

Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Precious

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Southpaw

Anyone care to speculate which 5 pictures would have been nominated if they had stuck to the norm?
I think it would have been:

The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
Up In The Air

Or maybe Up would have been on there instead of Precious.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I pretty much quit reading when I saw THE BLIND SIDE get a Best Picture nom. As expected, the 10 noms are just trying to bring in mainstream viewers. I haven't seen a single list where this film appeared on a top 10, although I'm sure it did make it somewhere but then again, just about every movie will make someones top 10.

I understand people enjoyed the movie even though I thought it was pretty horrid. With that said, it's nothing more (at best) than a feel good sports movie that we've seen countless times before.

Due to this small town I live in I haven't been able to see all the noms like in previous years but I can't imagine something like (500) DAYS OF SUMMER not being one of the ten best.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm mostly okay with the noms this year, even though it does seem a strange choice for District 9 to get a nom for best picture, save for two...no visual effects noms for 2012 and Transformers ROTF?

Especially for 2012, the visuals in that movie were freakin' insane! On a sidenote, I really don't see how the visuals in Star Trek were any better than either of those films, yes it was a great movie but as far as visuals go those other two had it beat IMO.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Not too worried about Crazy Heart and 500 Days of Summer not getting the Best Picture nom. Some of the greatest films never received it either but in time were still loved and cherished by many.

The big surprise for me, not that I didn't like this film, was District 9 getting a Best Picture nomination. A good movie but not one that I would have guessed to be a contender.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bummed about (500) Days of Summer, but oh well.

The Hurt Locker getting 9 noms (the same as Avatar) certainly helps its chances. I mean, original score for Hurt Locker? I just watched it 5 days ago and I can't remember the score. That's a very good sign for it.

Up in the Air's lack of editing nom pretty much assures it'll not win Best Picture. The corollary between winning Best Picture and being nominated for editing is something like 95%.

The Blind Side made it into Best Picture because they love Bullock (the front runner for Best Actress) and it made a TON of $$$. When they expanded the nominees to ten this is what they were looking for - 1-2 blockbusters that would have been shut out in years past (Avatar makes it this year with 5 nominees).

Star Trek and District 9 getting visual effects noms over Transformers 2 and 2012 shows that they were looking at the overall film quality a bit too much as compared to the category itself.

The Secret of Kells came absolutely out of nowhere. It may be great, but that's the biggest shocker of any nominee.

Overall, not a bad group of nominees.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okaaay let's have a look at this... so, two sci-fi films up for Best Picture! When has that ever happened before? Come to think of it what was the last sci-fi film nominated for best picture? ET in 1982? Which means Avatar and District 9 will be the two I will be most rooting for.

Thanks to the extended line-up there are 5 films in the Best Picture category I would not mind seeing pick up the Oscar, usually I have 1 or 2 favourites per year.

As much as I liked Up, was it really the best Pixar film to date? I think a best animated movie nom was good enough for Up.

Star Trek I think got 4 noms, not bad but lets have fewer lens flaring next time please.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Okaaay let's have a look at this... so, two sci-fi films up for Best Picture! When has that ever happened before? Come to think of it what was the last sci-fi film nominated for best picture? ET in 1982? Which means Avatar and District 9 will be the two I will be most rooting for.

Thanks to the extended line-up there are 5 films in the Best Picture category I would not mind seeing pick up the Oscar, usually I have 1 or 2 favourites per year.

As much as I liked Up, was it really the best Pixar film to date? I think a best animated movie nom was good enough for Up.

Star Trek I think got 4 noms, not bad but lets have fewer lens flaring next time please.
The Last sci-fi film nominated for Best Picture was indeed E.T., 27 years ago.

Up isn't the best Pixar film to date, but it is a worthy nominee this year with the field expanded to 10. If there's 10 nominees in 2008 Wall*E definitely gets nominated. Ratatouille in 2007, The Incredibles in 2004 probably as well in those years.

2008 with 10 nominees could have been amazing. Think about it:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Gran Torino
In Bruges
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL*E
The Wrestler

Gran Torino and In Bruges are the ones that could get swapped out for other films (but which ones?). But, even then - damn, that's a great list of nominees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks