-

Photo
- - - - -

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
299 replies to this topic

#281 of 300 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,988 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 11 2010 - 04:33 AM

Bea Arthur was a TV star. Looking at the IMDB, she was in a total of 6 movies (the majority of which are forgettable). I don't mean it as a slight in any way but given the sheer number of people in front of and behind the camera who die in any year, there was no reason to acknowledge such a small contribution to films.

I don't know if the Emmys do a tribute to the people who have died but if they do, she should definitely be recognized there due to her body of TV work that ran over 5 decades (including two very popular long running series).

#282 of 300 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

I don't know if the Emmys do a tribute to the people who have died but if they do, she should definitely be recognized there due to her body of TV work that ran over 5 decades (including two very popular long running series).
They do, and the 2009 broadcast included tributes to both Bea Arthur and Farah Fawcett. It's available on YouTube.

I know this probably doesn't matter to most people here, but the 2009 Tony Awards included a tribute to Bea Arthur, who was a major Broadway star before she became a TV star.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#283 of 300 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,383 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2010 - 05:30 AM

Michael:  Much like the success of This Is It, all this discussion of exclusions is being driven by the emotions of fans.  Not altogether two different things...  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#284 of 300 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Michael:  Much like the success of This Is It, all this discussion of exclusions is being driven by the emotions of fans.  Not altogether two different things...  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

That's only true to a certain extent. The emotions of fans play a role in both the discussions and the film, This Is It, but only the latter is also driven by substantial concerns of profitability.  How did John Lennon put it? "Nobody loves you when you're down and out . . . Everyone loves you when you're six foot underground." And they really love you when you leave behind a bunch of rehearsal footage that can be cobbled together into a movie that does good box office, then released on DVD and Blu-ray on Jan. 26, 2010, less than six weeks before the Oscars, which makes it a current title still worth advertising.

Yes, I'm cynical. I'm in good company. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

#285 of 300 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 11 2010 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

Yup. Including Farrah would have added about 10 seconds to a show where people were nattering on regardless.

http://www.dailymail...cars-chief.html
I agree that there must be disappointed families and friends every year concerning the Memory montage, but they did blow it by not including Farrah.  No one else has said it, but I will: had they not included MJ, there would have been at least a small to-do that it was a racist decision not to include him.

Since it was a movie industry tribute, it would  have been more appropriate to include Farrah and not MJ, IMHO.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#286 of 300 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,988 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post

No one else has said it, but I will: had they not included MJ, there would have been at least a small to-do that it was a racist decision not to include him.

Maybe a few people would have grumbled but since he wasn't a movie star, I don't think there would have been any problem. I think he was included because he led the way in making videos into mini-movies and, most importantly, he was one of the most famous people of the last century (which is a lot more attention grabbing than a black and white still of a 1950's makeup artist) so he got included in the tribute.

#287 of 300 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 11:01 AM

Gee. It's too bad Bea Arthur and Farrah Fawcett-Majors didn't have some new Blu-rays or DVDs that needed selling. They too could have received a tribute like that towering figure of cinematic innovation Michael Jackson. I mean, what the hell, it is not like an entertainment career that spanned 50 years (in the case of Bea Arthur) was nearly as worthy of recognition as Michael Jackson's huge contribution to the cinematic arts with such astounding innovations as "Thriller". I mean, I knew from the first time I saw it that "Thriller" would be destined to join such greats as "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Casablanca" as a beacon of great cinematic art.

Maybe they were "only" TV stars but Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur were still actors and their careers were largely tied to the film arts. They deserved to be in a tribute to departed film people more than Michael Jackson, who mainly made his living in music arts that weren't even film related.  
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#288 of 300 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,988 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S View Post

Maybe they were "only" TV stars but Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur were still actors and their careers were largely tied to the film arts.

Yeah but not primarily in motion pictures which is what the Academy recognizes. I'll agree that they both should been there before Michael Jackson though.

#289 of 300 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 01:03 PM

If the tribute hadn't included MJ, I could accept the argument that Farrah shouldn't have been included.  His bizarre inclusion changed that.  Farrah wasn't a big movie star, but she did make a few semi-notable flicks and did get a Golden Globe nomination for one.

MJ didn't do squat as a film actor.  Nor did Bea Arthur - she had a more substantial film career, but she didn't make sense as someone to mention at the Oscars...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#290 of 300 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 11 2010 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson 

MJ didn't do squat as a film actor.
Thriller revolutionized an entire sub-genre of short films. It basically turned the music video from being concert footage or kitschy studio dress-up winks at the camera to an art form. (The Beatles notwithstanding. Outside of their feature films their "music videos" were not telling a story like Thriller does.)

His merit as an "actor" is certainly questionable, but as a contributor to film history he's pretty significant. Thriller was just added to the Library of Congress for preservation to boot.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#291 of 300 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 04:32 PM

I must say I don't get the obsession everyone seems to have with this "In Memoriam" segment and who it didn't include. Just goes over my head, I guess.

#292 of 300 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 05:03 PM

I think all four (MJ, Farrah Fawcett, Ricardo Montalbon, and Bea Arthur) should've been in the segment.

I mean the Oscars is already bloated as is ... and they're trying to save a few seconds off this segment? Disrespectful IMO. 

Cut it out from somewhere else like those ridiculously long dance numbers that have nothing to do with the nominated movies. 

Michael Jackson deserves to be there because "Thriller" is still the quintessential movie-music video-short film hybrid, not to mention "Smooth Criminal" and other stuff he did, both of which brought Hollywood into MTV. How many filmmakers since then got their break making movies because they did music videos first? Thriller and Beat It (hello, West Side Story) were the game-changers that created a bridge between the two mediums. 

#293 of 300 OFFLINE   Pete York

Pete York

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 06:09 PM

Montalban was in last years 'in memoriam'.

I wouldn't look for consistency or rules or anything; they pick who they pick. They didn't include Gene Siskel because they weren't doing critics except they included Manny Farber last year.  When George Harrison died they put him in the tribute and in the past they included Phil Hartman and John Ritter. So if someone figures out the criteria, feel free to share. 

#294 of 300 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-D 

I think all four (MJ, Farrah Fawcett, Ricardo Montalbon, and Bea Arthur) should've been in the segment.

As has been repeatedly noted in this thread, Montalban was included in last year's segment. Can you provide any prior example of someone being included more than once?

#295 of 300 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,988 posts

Posted March 12 2010 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-D View Post

How many filmmakers since then got their break making movies because they did music videos first? 

Lots but you could say the same thing about commercials.

#296 of 300 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,383 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 26 2010 - 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGillivray 

I just want to say that I think it is pretty darn cool to be able to say that I had a bit acting part on a movie that had two Acadamy nominations!  (Granted, I was almost edited out of the thing, but my name still rolls up on the credits!)

Congrats to "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"
How hard is it going to be to find you on the Blu-ray, Scott? 

It's being released tomorrow!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#297 of 300 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,195 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 26 2010 - 03:08 PM

The only thing Tarantino's movie stars with the Italian original is the title and WWII. His original conception of the movie would have hewed much closer to the Italian film, with a who's-who of action stars playing the five surviving American POWs. As for his "homages" to other works, I guess that's left up to the viewer to weigh.

#298 of 300 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2010 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott 

I've always said this segment turns my stomach because of the people in the crowd applauding the people they know and then going dead silent for those they don't know.  I'm sure it sucks for a family member to be watching at home and their father or son gets shown and the room goes quiet. 

I'm sure the Jackson inclusion was just the popular thing to do and I personally would have included Farrah over him.  I'm sure the producer just felt no one was going to know her from the movie work, which is probably correct.  I doubt anyone remembers THE WIZ either though.  It's a popularity contest and I think the same could be said for the special tribute to John Hughes.  Last year or the year before I said this should have been done for Paul Newman since he was one of the all-time legends but I guess the producers felt he wasn't big enough.  Explaining why Hughes was big enough for such a tribute could make some angry but I think it comes down to the majority of the viewers going to know the films Hughes made more than Newman.
I absolutely agree about the applause thing.  Save it for the end.

I disagree that nobody remembers The Wiz.  That was a pretty iconic film of its era.

As for John Hughes, I think there are two main reasons why he warranted a special tribute: First, he basically had his own genre, which many people consider to be the identifying genre of the '80s (talk about iconic films!).  And second, he died quite young and unexpectedly -- that doesn't make him more important, but that sort of tragedy plays big in Hollywood (for lack of a term in better taste).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#299 of 300 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,383 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 27 2010 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

I disagree that nobody remembers The Wiz.  That was a pretty iconic film of its era.

I dunno, Aaron.  I saw it in the theater and had pretty much forgotten it by the time I hit the parking lot afterward...

[sarcasm]Although Nipsey Russell was mighty good.[/sarcasm]

/img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#300 of 300 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 28 2010 - 02:51 AM

Clearly, Mike, you need to pay a visit to Dr. Funkenstein for a funkjection of groove.

(To be honest, after 30+ years, those strange accordion-lookin' dudes still creep me out. . .)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick