-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: Pirate Radio (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image

DIRECTOR RICHARD CURTIS, CREATOR OF LOVE ACTUALLY AND NOTTING HILL,

WILL HAVE YOU DANCING IN YOUR SEAT WITH THE ROCK AND ROLL

MUSIC AND SPIRIT OF THE 1960s

PIRATE RADIO

Featuring Legendary Music From The Who, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix,

David Bowie and The Rolling Stones

APRIL 13, 2010

OWN IT ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOAD

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Posted Image

OVERVIEW: From Richard Curtis, director of Love Actually, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones's Diary and Four Weddings and a Funeral,

comes the musically charged, feel-great comedy about rock and roll in the 1960s. Called “A rip-roaring comedy” by Peter Travers

of Rolling Stone and inspired by true events, Pirate Radio follows a band of hilarious rogue deejays who boldly defied the British

government by playing the music that defined a generation, including artists such as The Who, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, David

Bowie and The Rolling Stones, among others. Hailed as “the finest rock movie since Almost Famous” by Kyle Smith of the New

York Post, Pirate Radio stars Academy Award®-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt, Capote), Bill Nighy (Pirates of the

Caribbean, Love Actually), Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead), Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill), Kenneth Branagh (Valkyrie, Harry

Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), Tom Sturridge (Vanity Fair), Chris O’Dowd (How to Lose Friends and Alienate People), Rhys

Darby (“Flight of the Concords”), Talulah Riley (Pride and Prejudice) and January Jones (“Mad Men”).

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture and purest

digital sound.

• BD-LIVETM: Access the BD-LiveTM Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the

latest trailers and more!

o MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie then share with your BD-LiveTM buddies.

• pocket BLU: USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone™, iPod® touch, Blackberry®, Android™ and more

to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-rayTM player and offers advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate

through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.

o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the

movie.

o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or

to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime,

anywhere.

o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their

device.

o Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard that will facilitate such

Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

• FEATURETTES

o TUNING IN: Richard Curtis and cast members including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kenneth Branagh and Bill

Nighy discuss the enormous influence pirate radio had in the UK in the 1960s.

o 7” OF HEAVEN: Richard Curtis, Bill Nighy, Chris O’Dowd and Philip Seymour Hoffman discuss the life-changing

effects of the music of the 1960s.

o ALL AT SEA: Richard Curtis, Chris O’Dowd, Rhys Darby and Rhys Ifans discuss the fun and perils of filming at

sea.

o GETTING SHIP SHAPE: Nick Frost and Chris O'Dowd discuss re-creating the Radio Rock boat as a set on dry

land and Rhys Darby brings us on a tour of the set.

o HITTING THE DECKS: Tom Wisdom, who plays Mark ‘The sexiest man in the world’, shows us around Mark’s

cabin, a true ‘love den,’ on the day 35 semi-clothed women come to pay him a visit!

o MARK’S LOVE DEN: Nick Frost, Rhys Ifans and Chris O’Dowd discuss the fun of learning to be a 1960s DJ for

the film.

BONUS FEATURES (DVD and BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF):

• DELETED SCENES

• FEATURE COMMENTARY: Commentary from Writer and Director Richard Curtis, Producer Hilary Bevan Jones and

actors Nick Frost and Chris O’Dowd.

SYNOPSIS: From the creator of Love Actually and Notting Hill comes a trip back to the freewheeling, free-loving ’60s when the

very rock music that inspired a generation was censored by the government. When a group of rebellious deejays decides to defy

the ban, they take to the seas to broadcast music and mayhem to millions of adoring fans. Featuring a soundtrack that includes The

Who, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones and many more, it’s a feel-great film based on a true story that

critics cheer is “exuberant!” (John Powers, Vogue).

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF:

Street Date: April 13, 2010

Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 61106154

Running Time: 1 Hour, 57 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Picture Format: Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Rating: Rated R for language, and some sexual content including brief nudity

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles

Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS Surround 5.1, Spanish DTS Surround 5.1

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – DVD:

Street Date: April 13, 2010

Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 61106155

Running time: 1 Hour, 57 Minutes

Layers: Dual layer

Picture Format: Anamorphic Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Rating: Rated R for language, and some sexual content including brief nudity

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles

Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 and French Dolby Digital 5.1

CAST AND FILMMAKERS

Cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Nick Frost, Ryhs Ifans, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Sturridge, Rhys Darby, Talulah Riley,

January Jones

Directed By: Richard Curtis

Written By: Richard Curtis

Executive Producers: Richard Curtis, Debra Hayward, Liza Chasin

Produced By: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Hilary Bevan Jones,

Director of Photography: Danny Cohen

Production Designer: Mark Tildesley

Editor: Emma Hickox

Costume Design By: Joanna Johnston

Casting By: Fiona Weir

http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/pirate_radio/

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 11:57 AM

Okay...I have a question.

I may have my information wrong, but I think I read that
this is a British film, quite good, but when it was brought
to American audiences it went through extensive cuts and
that the British version is better.

If this the case, would I be better off importing this title
and is there a region-free available?

Of course all of this is dependent on whether my information
is correct or not.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 32 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,926 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 01 2010 - 02:06 PM

According to the runtime posted on IMDb, the cuts amount to about 19 minutes. My understanding is that one subplot was removed, along with a few incidental scenes. As well, the title was changed from The Boat That Rocked to Pirate Radio. Being an Anglophile (as well as having English parents), I would import, especially since the amazon.uk price isn't that painful (11.98 pounds).

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 32 gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 06:19 AM

And it is region free. I just dont understand why british blu-rays have so many ratings logos all over the disc and packaging.

#5 of 32 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,609 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 06:52 AM

Ron - British is always better
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#6 of 32 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have the British version of this and it's well worth getting. It's uncut, region-free and features commentary, deleted scenes, and a making-of. The stuff that is cut isn't necessarily needed but there are quite a few hilarious moments that aren't there. I didn't expect the US release to have the UK cut because the opening credits, ending, and cuts in between don't lend themselves to seamless branching.... they've would've had to added a second disc.

I wonder if it's a new commentary or if they just cut the existing one... I'm betting on the later.

That and the US cover is HORRENDOUS. I hate that big red bar on the top.

#7 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 10:56 PM

Just ordered the British version from Amazon U.K.

Here is a link for anyone interested.

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 32 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 07:09 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere that Richard Curtis himself had cut the film down for US release (although he may have been pressured by the studio).  At any rate, I do wish the UK version would be made available in the US.  (I believe this is happening with Red Cliff).

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#9 of 32 Shakey67

Shakey67

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 01:53 PM

Without one of the deleted scenes, something that happens in the third act (no spoilers) seems to come out of nowhere, and has a kind of deus ex machina quality to it.  The UK version is not really better, or more coherent, or even less coherent -- there's just more of it.  And if you like this movie, you will want more of it.

Oh, yeah -- awesome nude scene in the UK version!

#10 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 01:56 PM

I was shocked that with shipping it only cost $21
from the U.K. to the U.S.

There is even a money converter on the site that
will show total in U.S. currenncy.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 32 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ron,

I order from Amazon UK as frequently as I do their US site. Yes, the price discrepancies can be puzzling. For example, I ordered Falling Down, Easy Rider & Midnight Express from Amazon UK for a grand total of $50 with shipping included. To order these three in the digibooks from the US site with free shipping would've cost $21.00 more! I recently ordered Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from Amazon UK because Sony presently only sells it stateside in a box set. It set me back about $16.00 with shipping. You'll also find that it only takes two or three days longer on average to receive your package from across the pond.

I should add that content-wise, all the titles I listed above are identical to the their US counterparts (1080p, region free, ntsc supplements) minus the digibook packaging. 
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#12 of 32 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,352 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 09 2010 - 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

I was shocked that with shipping it only cost $21
from the U.K. to the U.S.

There is even a money converter on the site that
will show total in U.S. currenncy.

Ron,
I've been buying several titles from Amazon's UK site because of their pricing and available titles.   I just received the two disc release of GWTW and Sunrise.  Yesterday, I watched Great Expectations and the extended version of Almost Famous.  Overall, I think I bought about 20 Blu-ray titles.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 32 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,352 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 09 2010 - 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford View Post

Ron,
I've been buying several titles from Amazon's UK site because of their pricing and available titles.   I just received the 2-disc release of GWTW and Sunrise.  Yesterday, I watched Great Expectations and the extended version of Almost Famous.  Overall, I think I bought about 20 Blu-ray titles.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#14 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 11:20 PM

Crawdaddy,

Is that extended version of ALMOST FAMOUS exclusive 
to the U.K.?

Not even sure if that title is available in the U.S. 

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 32 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,352 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 10 2010 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Crawdaddy,

Is that extended version of ALMOST FAMOUS exclusive 
to the U.K.?

Not even sure if that title is available in the U.S. 
Almost Famous isn't available in the U.S.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#16 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 12:16 AM

Quote:
 Almost Famous isn't available in the U.S.

On my way to order that, too.  Thank You.

Ronald J Epstein

#17 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,287 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 12:18 AM

My God!  Just paid $5 for that Blu-ray and with shipping
it came to $13. 

Ronald J Epstein

#18 of 32 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 02:47 AM

I hadn't heard of this movie until I started reading things about it coming out on Blu-ray. Being a big fan of Notting Hill and Love Actually, I am very interested in it. However, I would like to know more about how the US version compares to the UK version. My wife and I usually sit through all the deleted scenes in Love Actually (we've got the US version on DVD), but I never get the feeling that the movie was too short. In other words, as good as some of those scenes are, I think they made the right decision to cut them. So, is the UK version really better, or was it too long? Does the US version have all the cut scenes as deleted scenes?

I'm very tempted to order the UK version, but I've found an awful lot of comments indicating that the movie was a bit on the long side and could have been cut down some.

Edit: Since I posted this, I have had a chance to read several UK reviews of "The Boat That Rocked". Every single one of them mentions that the film is too long. Is it possible that the US cut is a better film? I'd really like to know if the Pirate Radio disc has all the scenes cut from the UK version.

Brian

#19 of 32 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 07:36 AM

I've had The Boat That Rocked BD for the better part of 6 months. I wouldn't want a shorter version. I order BD's from the U.K. rather regularly anymore.

Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#20 of 32 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,679 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 11 2010 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McHale View Post

Edit: Since I posted this, I have had a chance to read several UK reviews of "The Boat That Rocked". Every single one of them mentions that the film is too long. Is it possible that the US cut is a better film?

You're probably never going to find someone that will say that a studio edited version of a movie is the better one (even if it is).