Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

U-571 Don't let them see you sweat!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Don Keegan

Don Keegan

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 06:34 AM

On a visit to a Blu-ray Demo I saw samples of U-571 which is one of my top movies for demo and you could see the sweat on the crew as real as it gets. I have the samsung 2500 and a Mitz 1080i RPTV and can't duplicate the sharpness of that scene. Is it the TV or BD? Any help would be greatly appricated!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 12:42 AM

Don,

Are you sure you have exactly the same recording as demoed there?

Cees

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Don Keegan

Don Keegan

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for the reply

No it was a Best Buy sample disc w/ that scene on it with made me think it was done special for the disc better than the movie release

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 06:29 AM

I have both a slightly older 1080i Hitachi RP-CRT and a new 1080p Samsung LCD. Blu ray does look slightly sharper on the LCD, but it's not a night-and-day difference by any means. I wouldn't say that there's anything revealed by the LCD that I can't see on the CRT. And in some ways I prefer the picture of the Hitachi - it seems much more cinematic.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 03:09 PM

If you saw this demo at BB it was probably on an end cap and the display was one of the 850 series Samsung plasma sets--perhaps one of the best displays around short of the Pioneer Kuro series.   Good crt based rptvs with 9" guns (Mostly Mits sets 65" and above) can duplicate this look but may require a lot of work as far as physical and electronic focus adjustment, cleaning of the optics and mirror, etc, to achieve it.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 07:19 AM

They also could've had the Motion Pro[or whatever they call it]turned on which can give the movie a soap opera like look.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

They also could've had the Motion Pro[or whatever they call it]turned on which can give the movie a soap opera like look.
I'm pretty sure this is the same U-571 demo I saw at my local BB, in which case it was a Samsung PN50B850 plasma set, which doesn't have the motionpro feature (that's only on Samsung LCDs 120hz and higher).  We have the same set at the Sears where I work running a Soundstage concert Blu Ray--the picture on it is similarly amazing.  The Soundstage concerts are shot in HD video so the "soap opera look" is inherent in the picture.

Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.