What's new

U-571 Don't let them see you sweat! (1 Viewer)

Don Keegan

Agent
On a visit to a Blu-ray Demo I saw samples of U-571 which is one of my top movies for demo and you could see the sweat on the crew as real as it gets. I have the samsung 2500 and a Mitz 1080i RPTV and can't duplicate the sharpness of that scene. Is it the TV or BD? Any help would be greatly appricated!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Don,

Are you sure you have exactly the same recording as demoed there?

Cees

Don Keegan

Agent
Thanks for the reply

No it was a Best Buy sample disc w/ that scene on it with made me think it was done special for the disc better than the movie release

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have both a slightly older 1080i Hitachi RP-CRT and a new 1080p Samsung LCD. Blu ray does look slightly sharper on the LCD, but it's not a night-and-day difference by any means. I wouldn't say that there's anything revealed by the LCD that I can't see on the CRT. And in some ways I prefer the picture of the Hitachi - it seems much more cinematic.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you saw this demo at BB it was probably on an end cap and the display was one of the 850 series Samsung plasma sets--perhaps one of the best displays around short of the Pioneer Kuro series. Good crt based rptvs with 9" guns (Mostly Mits sets 65" and above) can duplicate this look but may require a lot of work as far as physical and electronic focus adjustment, cleaning of the optics and mirror, etc, to achieve it.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
They also could've had the Motion Pro[or whatever they call it]turned on which can give the movie a soap opera like look.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Originally Posted by KevinJ

They also could've had the Motion Pro[or whatever they call it]turned on which can give the movie a soap opera like look.
I'm pretty sure this is the same U-571 demo I saw at my local BB, in which case it was a Samsung PN50B850 plasma set, which doesn't have the motionpro feature (that's only on Samsung LCDs 120hz and higher). We have the same set at the Sears where I work running a Soundstage concert Blu Ray--the picture on it is similarly amazing. The Soundstage concerts are shot in HD video so the "soap opera look" is inherent in the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks