Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Sherlock Holmes (Blu-ray Combo Pack)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted January 29 2010 - 07:41 AM

Posted Image 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,960 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 29 2010 - 12:28 PM

makes me wish MPI would release the entire Rathbone/Bruce series  in Blu, with all the extras that were on the single releases, UCLA did the restoration so these should still be good i think.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 29 2010 - 02:52 PM

This was a little dark I thought (cinematography), but other than that my wife and I really enjoyed this.  I'll pick this one up for sure.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 29 2010 - 06:33 PM

This is on my blind-buy list.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 06:22 PM

It's too bad that the studio that owns the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films didn't take advantage of this release and put out a Blu-ray set. The Jeremy Brett "Holmes " series would have been nice too. A release of "The Seven Percent Solution" would have been good as well.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

It's too bad that the studio that owns the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films didn't take advantage of this release and put out a Blu-ray set. The Jeremy Brett "Holmes " series would have been nice too. A release of "The Seven Percent Solution" would have been good as well.
I'm not sure the Jeremy Brett Holmes series would show much improvement on blu-ray as it was shot on standard 16mm. I know I would like to see it in HD, but I think the upgrade would be so slight that most people would likely not be able to see the difference.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I'm not sure the Jeremy Brett Holmes series would show much improvement on blu-ray as it was shot on standard 16mm. I know I would like to see it in HD, but I think the upgrade would be so slight that most people would likely not be able to see the difference.

Doug

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm. I thought that 16mm would mostly be used by amateur filmmakers as a cost saving measure and that most pro productions shot on film would be 35mm. Wasn't the original Trek shot on 16mm? I know they gussied it up, but the BDs do seem to be a marked improvement over the DVDs.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 11:34 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm. I thought that 16mm would mostly be used by amateur filmmakers as a cost saving measure and that most pro productions shot on film would be 35mm. Wasn't the original Trek shot on 16mm? I know they gussied it up, but the BDs do seem to be a marked improvement over the DVDs.

No the original Star Trek was shot on 35mm with Mitchell cameras just like the vast majority of American television shows at the time. However in England with much smaller budgets, most television shows were shot on 16mm film with the exception of the Gerry Anderson productions which I believe were all 35mm. Dr. Who was a mix of video (interiors shot on sets) and 16mm film (exteriors).

With the advent of the Panavision 16mm camera in the late 1980's, there was a flirtation with some American shows being shot on 16mm. Xena, In The Heat of the Night, Homicide: Life on the Street, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman among them. Burn Notice, The O.C., Scrubs, are, or were, shot in super 16mm. The combination of modern film stock, and the larger image area of super 16mm would probably make these shows more advantageous in HD.

16mm was actually created as an amateur format, but became a semi-professional medium when 8mm took over the amateur format in 1932.

Interestingly, when I was looking up some information on the Panavision 16mm "elaine" camera, I found an interesting statement from Panavision. "As of 2006, Panavision has no further plans to develop additional film camera models." Apparently the The XL series 35mm system will be the last film camera Panavision will make,  all future R&D is going into digital cinematography.

Doug

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'll be blind-buying this movie for sure.

Quote:

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm
The Hurt Locker was shot on 16mm.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 10:26 PM

The Hurt Locker is a combo of super 16mm and HD video.

Doug

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

The Hurt Locker is a combo of super 16mm and HD video.

Doug
Yep, but the vast majority of it looks like 16mm.  The only shots that I could tell were video were the video feeds from the remote-control robot.

Either way, my point was just that 16mm is still used sometimes in professional productions. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou 

Yep, but the vast majority of it looks like 16mm.  The only shots that I could tell were video were the video feeds from the remote-control robot.

Either way, my point was just that 16mm is still used sometimes in professional productions.

Oh very true. In fact there seems to be an upsurge in super 16, particularly in television.

Doug

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted February 04 2010 - 07:13 AM

The recent "Halloween II" was also shot in 16mm to give it that grungy, grainy 70s aesthetic.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 04 2010 - 01:40 PM

As was the recent "The House of the Devil", although there the intent was to make it look like a horror cheapie from the early 80s.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert