What's new

The Fly (1986) Appreciation (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I don't see nearly enough respect and admiration for the Fly remake around here (or anywhere online for that matter). I find it to be one of the most well crafted pieces in the history of cinema. It lacks absolutely nothing. Amazing direction, one of the greatest scores ever composed, a tight script, and Jeff Goldblum delivering easily the best performance of his career. The ending brings me damn near close to tears everytime I see it. Brundlefly falling out of the pod, helpless, while the score ratchets up to a crescendo. The slow decay that we go through with this character is heartbreaking. The scene where Brundlefly is talking about "insect politics" is the scene most demonstrative of Goldblum's unbelievable performance here. I think it gets looked down upon by some film buffs due to it's horror/sci fi status, gore and over the top story (man turning into fly). It's really unfortunate, as this has to be seen as one of the great tragedy stories in the cinema. You can go through it's effectiveness scene by scene if you really wanted to. What about the amazing sequence when he is discovering his power, doing gymnastics in his apartment? The ambience, lighting, and subtle direction are really on display here. I don't think this movie could be made as well today. Today, The Fly would be done with CGI and the great craftsmanship that went into the unbelievable makeup effects work would be lost. And what about the score? Both modern and timeless, it is perhaps Howard Shore's all time greatest work (with Dead Ringers being close). I truly believe it should be in discussion with the all time greats like Casablanca and Citizen Kane in the way it slowly but so effectively draws you in, especially on repeat viewings. Too many films have too many scenes that are superfluous and unnecessary, but nothing seems out of place here, and the pacing and intensity is constantly being raised toward the finale. My main intention with this post is to draw more attention to the film for those who may not have seen it and bring about some discussion for those who have. Thanks.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there was a long thread about the fly collectors edition back in 2005. I am also a fan of the classic movie. I even saw the opera back in 2008. which was directed by cronenberg.

Jacob

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
This remake does a good job of modernizing (80s era) the tech - I've always loved, in particular, the explanation of how the computer tried to digitally 'interpret' what a steak should taste like. How it's a simulation, not the same thing (sorta like Beyond Meat).
It's an enGROSSing picture in more ways than one (my friend calls it: The Gooey Version). Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis were THE geek movie couple of the time. It's their relationship which makes the film work. Every sci-fi nerd could only dream of a woman like Geena's Veronica, and Goldblum's Seth Brundle had his charms, too. Great chemistry between them (they did have a marriage). By grounding the film on a personal level, it makes the subsequent events that much more palpable.
Still, when Goldblum devolves into the Brundle-Fly and Davis' character retreats the story-telling fumbles a bit. The ex-boyfriend character, Stathis (John Getz), is too annoying and obvious a cliche antagonist and Cronenberg's insistence on body decay gets in the way of the central dynamics. The 'birth' scene, however, is still as nightmarish as it was in the mid-80s: Complete with Cronenberg himself as the gynecologist fiendishly overseeing the procedure).
Still, nobody but Cronenberg could have made something as gruesomely moving as the finale with the gun despite all the orgiastic grue and viscera. Even though it was an animatronic - you still BELIEVE that it is Goldblum's Seth Brundle under all of that tech. And, that's what makes THE FLY so special.

Attachments

• fly2.jpg
    fly2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Clark Green

BANNED
Real Name
Clark Green
I saw it in the theater in 86 but don't really remember it as being a movie to admire for all time. It was amusing at the time but overall pretty much forgettable as years went by.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I saw it in the theater in 86 but don't really remember it as being a movie to admire for all time. It was amusing at the time but overall pretty much forgettable as years went by.
Saw it then, and a couple of times in the 80s. Then, caught up with it on the big screen in 35mm a couple of years ago. Still holds up well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks