What's new

Scooby-doo lost episodes (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have been collecting scooby-doo's series and i was hoping that the following episodes would be released. I believe these were part of scooby-doo allstars.

Episode titleVillainOriginal airdatePlotSDLA-1"The Curse of Viking Lake"The Viking Ghosts of Viking LakeSeptember 10, 1977When the gang arrives at Viking Lake to see Velma's uncle John, they find him missing as well as encountering the ghosts of ancient vikings.SDLA-2"Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats"1The Great Skull Island VampireSeptember 17, 1977The gang goes to visit their friend Lisa Banoh at Great Skull Island. But as it is her 18th birthday, she inherits the island's hotel, haunted by a vampire. As they get an unexpected and unwanted visit by a vampire, she finds out she is from a long family line of vampires.SDLA-3"Hang in There, Scooby-Doo"The Pterodactyl GhostSeptember 24, 1977On a trip to a hang gliding contest the gang encounters a Pterodactyl ghost who tries to scare everyone away from the cliff. But why?SDLA-4"The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller"1, 3The Ghost of Milo BoothOctober 1, 1977Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Dum's cousin Scooby-Dee is remaking a movie originally made by Milo Booth, a great movie director. So the gang must protect her from his ghost, who decides to haunt her from remaking the film.SDLA-5"The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race"3The Phantom RacerOctober 8, 1977At the Osbourne Grand Prix Race 1977, a Phantom Racer makes the other drivers disappear when they enter in the fog. As they get deeper into the mystery they find possibly the strangest mystery they have ever seen from the race track to the junkyard. Legend has it of a driver who died by driving off a cliff and they think the Phantom Racer is his ghost. Finding new clues gives them new pieces to the puzzle, so the gang asks Shaggy to race the Phantom Racer and find out what happened to the drivers.SDLA-6"The Ozark Witch Switch"The Ghost of the Witch McCoy and The ZombieOctober 15, 1977The rivalry from the 1800's between the Hatfields and McCoys continue in the year 1977. The mystery machine breaks down and the gang stays in the Hatfield's cabin. The Hatfields say their long time enemies, the McCoys, are all dead. But the ghost of Old Witch McCoy is out to get them for revenge. Then Old Witch McCoy comes and turns the Hatfields into frogs. While the gang investigates, they encounter a zombie man who is very mysterious.SDLA-7"Creepy Cruise"3The Future ShockerOctober 22, 1977While on a cruise ship, the gang meets a professor who created a time machine. While he tests it, everything goes wrong and a Future Shocker creature comes out and scares everyone away and steals the professor's money.SDLA-8"The Creepy Heap from the Deep" ² 3The Creepy Heap From the Deep, The ghost of Captain ClemensOctober 29, 1977

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They can't be too lost, I've purchased all three seasons of the Scooby Doo Show, including these 1977 episodes, off of the video download service on Xbox Live for the Xbox 360, along with all of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!

They're also up on iTunes and the PSN video store for the PSP and Playstation 3.

The only exception on Xbox Live is a episode of the Scooby Doo Show from season 1 in 1976 when it was part of the The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour. The episode, named "A Bum Steer for Scooby", was never made available on Xbox Live for some odd reason (Appears to be carelessness on the part of the employee uploading them).

However, it is on the PSN's video service for the Playstation 3, so I've purchased it there to make things complete.

Wish I could get The New Scooby-Doo Movies to complete things. Passed on the DVD due to the edited introduction sequence and the many missing episodes due to the usual problem of copyright lawyers screwing things up for the public. It's all I'm missing from what I consider to be the best of the series. I might give season 1 of Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo a try someday, don't remember much about it and it's available on these download services.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
"Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats" is available on of the single disc collections from early 2000s. It is really odd that they skipped some of these 70s episodes. Nothing after the 70s even comes close.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Any hope of these lost episodes showing in a 2011 DVD release? I would love to complete my collection (I already have the Complete First and Second Seasons, the Complete Third Season, and the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour: The Complete Series).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
These aired as part of Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, according to the episode guide on Wikipedia.

Two volumes of this were released in DVD in 2010, which may contain some or many of them (I can't seem to figure out which episode title of Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics included which segment of what we've known as season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in syndication). So some or many of them might've made it out on to DVD in 2010.

And according to TVShowsOnDVD, at least one episode of Scooby Doo's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics (Of which the episodes in question in this thread were produced as a segment for that show) is included on Volume 1 of Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970's. And then there is that single episode release already mentioned in this thread, which was titled Scooby-Doo's Spookiest Tales.

Incidently, the missing Scooby episode on Xbox Live from season 1 of The Scooby-Doo Show ("A Bum Steer for Scooby") that I mentioned earlier in this thread is now available.

Edit - Sorry, but it appears only that one episode is available on DVD. The releases that have included episodes of Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics just include the Laff-A-Lympics segments.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Wish I could get The New Scooby-Doo Movies to complete things. Passed on the DVD due to the edited introduction sequence and the many missing episodes due to the usual problem of copyright lawyers screwing things up for the public. It's all I'm missing from what I consider to be the best of the series. I might give season 1 of Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo a try someday, don't remember much about it and it's available on these download services.

How was the introduction edited? I thought it still showed the Addams family and such. I haven't watched the DVDs, but I taped the missing episodes off of Boomerang. I wish Warner Archive would release the missing episodes from the New Scooby Doo movies. I would gladly pay the extra download cost of Jerry Reed's When you're hot you're hot, ect.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S3 of Scooby-doo. I am missing the final 8 episode, which were part of scooby-doo allstars. I am surprised they have not released the final 8 and called it the lost scooby episodes. WB did something similar for the superfriends.

As for the movies: I did not pick it up because it did not have all the movies and i know there are issues with licensing, but, you would think in this era that this would be easily resolved.

I also have scooby-doo laff-lympics, but, there are issues, because it only includes the laff-lympics segments and not captain caveman and/or the complete show. I am starting to wonder what is behind some of these releases. I am not sure the releases make sense considering that the sets are not complete and/or in some cases there is double dipping.

I also would think with warner archive that we would see the vault open to more of HB's cartoons, especially since they dangled a carrot with saturday morning cartoons. I bought the 1970s and 1960s cartoon sets, however, it just had me wanting more around the releases. I currently have 37 shows complete and would love to see a few more, which would allow me to re-live growing up in the 1970s with saturday morning cartoons.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sorry, but that's incorrect. The final classic Scooby episodes are on DVD. They're the third and final season of what is called the Scooby-Doo Show in syndication. On DVD, these 1978 episodes are titled as season 3 of Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (Since the final handful of episodes were originally shown under that title after Scooby's All-Stars concluded), although the syndicated Scooby Doo Show openings and closing is still present on the DVD despite the set name.

What's missing on DVD is season 2 of what is known as The Scooby Doo Show in syndication, which dates from 1977. These 8 episodes appeared as segments of Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics. The episodes that were part of Scooby's All-Stars are what comprises season 3 of Scooby Doo, Where Are You! and they're already out on DVD.

As for how the introduction for the New Scooby Doo Movies is edited on DVD (The episodes on Boomerang have the original opening), the scenes involving The Addams Family, Batman & Robin, The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, and the Globetrotters were removed and replaced from the opening titles.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

Sorry, but that's incorrect. The final classic Scooby episodes are on DVD. They're the third and final season of what is called the Scooby-Doo Show in syndication. On DVD, these 1978 episodes are titled as season 3 of Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (Since the final handful of episodes were originally shown under that title after Scooby's All-Stars concluded), although the syndicated Scooby Doo Show openings and closing is still present on the DVD despite the set name.

What's missing on DVD is season 2 of what is known as The Scooby Doo Show in syndication, which dates from 1977. These 8 episodes appeared as segments of Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics. The episodes that were part of Scooby's All-Stars are what comprises season 3 of Scooby Doo, Where Are You! and they're already out on DVD.

Yes, the 8 more "classic" Scooby shows not yet released are from the 1977 Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-lympics...

but that sill makes them the "final" classic episodes to be released on DVD, chronologically not the "final" episodes aired...

I'm still trying to decide if I should just download them from Itunes are keep waiting for the DVDs.

I've written extensively on this forum about wanting to restore the cartoon block from 1977 and 1978 so i'll save y'all

the speech again... but here's to hoping the WB archive will get out the rest of the components to reassemble the whole

Laff-a-lympics show.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by derosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by LeoAmes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, the 8 more "classic" Scooby shows not yet released are from the 1977 Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-lympics...

but that sill makes them the "final" classic episodes to be released on DVD, chronologically not the "final" episodes aired...

I'm still trying to decide if I should just download them from Itunes are keep waiting for the DVDs.

I've written extensively on this forum about wanting to restore the cartoon block from 1977 and 1978 so i'll save y'all

the speech again... but here's to hoping the WB archive will get out the rest of the components to reassemble the whole

Laff-a-lympics show.

I am also interested in the following episodes.

Episode title

Villain

Identity

Original airdate

Plot

SDLA-1

"The Curse of Viking Lake"

The Viking Ghosts of Viking Lake

Mr. Hansen and the two missing geologists

September 10, 1977

When the gang arrives at Viking Lake to see Velma's uncle John, they find him missing as well as encountering the ghosts of ancient vikings.

SDLA-2

"Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats"1

The Great Skull Island Vampire

Uncle Leon

September 17, 1977

The gang goes to visit their friend Lisa Banoh at Great Skull Island. But as it is her 18th birthday, she inherits the island's hotel, haunted by a vampire. As they get an unexpected and unwanted visit by a vampire, she finds out she is from a long family line of vampires.

SDLA-3

"Hang in There, Scooby-Doo"

The Pterodactyl Ghost

John

September 24, 1977

On a trip to a hang gliding contest the gang encounters a Pterodactyl ghost who tries to scare everyone away from the cliff. But why?

SDLA-4

"The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller"1, 3

The Ghost of Milo Booth (The Phantom of Dixie)

Jim Moss

October 1, 1977

Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Dum's cousin Scooby-Dee is remaking a movie originally made by Milo Booth, a great movie director. So the gang must protect her from his ghost, who decides to haunt her from remaking the film.

SDLA-5

"The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race"3

The Phantom Racer

Ken Rogers

October 8, 1977

At the Osbourne Grand Prix Race 1977, a Phantom Racer makes the other drivers disappear when they enter in the fog. As they get deeper into the mystery they find possibly the strangest mystery they have ever seen from the race track to the junkyard. Legend has it of a driver who died by driving off a cliff and they think the Phantom Racer is his ghost. Finding new clues gives them new pieces to the puzzle, so the gang asks Shaggy to race the Phantom Racer and find out what happened to the drivers.

SDLA-6

"The Ozark Witch Switch"

The Ghost of the Witch McCoy and The Zombie

Aggie Wilkins and Zeke Harkins

October 15, 1977

The rivalry from the 1800s between the Hatfields and McCoys continue in the year 1977. The mystery machine breaks down and the gang stays in the Hatfield's cabin. The Hatfields say their long time enemies, are all dead. But the ghost of Old Witch McCoy is out to get them for revenge. Then Old Witch McCoy comes and turns the Hatfields into frogs. While the gang investigates, they encounter a zombie man who is very mysterious.

SDLA-7

"Creepy Cruise"3

The Future Shocker

Grady

October 22, 1977

While on a cruise ship, the gang meets a professor who created a time machine. While he tests it, everything goes wrong and a Future Shocker creature comes out and scares everyone away and steals the professor's money.

SDLA-8

"The Creepy Heap from the Deep" ² 3

The Creepy Heap From the Deep, The ghost of Captain Clemens

An escaped bank robber and Captain Clemens

October 29, 1977

At their beach party, the gang discovers a vicious monster from the deep. In an escape effort, they meet a sea captain who informs them that the sea monster is a supernatural creature who feeds on souls to stay alive. When going for help, they find it's too late for the captain, and possibly too late for themselves...

It has been years since i have seen these episodes and i believe i seen some of them on youtube. I would much prefer to have the above as it would complete my scooby collection (original) - ex movies. The movies is a different area, because they have huge issues with licensing and were only able to released a few movies.

I had hope that scooby-doo laff olympics would have included the actual show, not just one segment. I was not a big fan scooby-doo laff-lympics, but did like captain caveman and scooby doo segments.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Hopefully theses are released on DVD in 2011! I would like to complete my collection as well.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Yeah, i am not a big fan on the scooby-doo that preceded the old scoobyy-doo show, especially scrappy doo. I do have the richie rich hour, which does have scrappy doo.

The best scooby-doo was the original show 1969-1970. The new scooby-doo was ok, because it had 10000 Volt Ghost and introduced Scooby-dum. However, there are mistakes with Scooby-Dum, because a few episodes say he is scooby's cousing another episode says they are cousins. My question is our they cousin or brothers? Enquiring minds want to know!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I only like the two seasons of Where Are You, the movies, and the three seasons of The Scooby-Doo Show that ran as segments of different programs. That to me and most people is what constitutes classic Scooby-Doo.

Anything newer, such as the junk with Scrappy Doo, are junk if you ask me.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

I only like the two seasons of Where Are You, the movies, and the three seasons of The Scooby-Doo Show that ran as segments of different programs. That to me and most people is what constitutes classic Scooby-Doo.

Anything newer, such as the junk with Scrappy Doo, are junk if you ask me.

hey Leo,

I agree with you about the show. I think they were trying to managed the brand with adding scrappy doo and adding some weird items in the 1980s. I only watch the old scooby-doo, because it is what i grew up with as a kid. I like the movies, but, the dvd set was not complete for reasons that have been discussed in other threads. I just won't be purchasing that set and it is too bad they can not fixed issues with the movies and put out a complete set. As time passes on the likelihood that status will change becomes less likely.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The main thing I really don't like with how they handled the movies was, even after rights issues were ironed out with things like Josie & The Pussycats, they didn't sneak the related Scooby Doo movie out on to those sets as a bonus.

They really should've snuck that one out and the one with the Addams Family on the DVD sets for those two shows now that rights issues were ironed out long after the movie set was released. The same goes for the movie that was tied into their Jeannie cartoon, which I've heard rumors of getting a Warner Achive release sometime this year. Then we'd just be short of 6 movies on DVD, if the Jeannie release does in fact happen.

Hopefully they will go back and pay the money to do this one right someday, but I won't be holding my breath. At least I have my recordings off Boomerang for them. :)

I do think that we'll be seeing these 8 missing episodes from season 2 of the Scooby-Doo Show on DVD eventually.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

The main thing I really don't like with how they handled the movies was, even after rights issues were ironed out with things like Josie & The Pussycats, they didn't sneak the related Scooby Doo movie out on to those sets as a bonus.

They really should've snuck that one out and the one with the Addams Family on the DVD sets for those two shows now that rights issues were ironed out long after the movie set was released. The same goes for the movie that was tied into their Jeannie cartoon, which I've heard rumors of getting a Warner Achive release sometime this year. Then we'd just be short of 6 movies on DVD, if the Jeannie release does in fact happen.

Hopefully they will go back and pay the money to do this one right someday, but I won't be holding my breath. At least I have my recordings off Boomerang for them. :)

I do think that we'll be seeing these 8 missing episodes from season 2 of the Scooby-Doo Show on DVD eventually.

If I'm not mistaken, the Jeannie cartoon series belongs to Sony, as does the H-B Partridge Family cartoon series. Two episodes of the latter are on the first season Partridge Family DVD set as extras.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Mark Y /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by LeoAmes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I'm not mistaken, the Jeannie cartoon series belongs to Sony, as does the H-B Partridge Family cartoon series. Two episodes of the latter are on the first season Partridge Family DVD set as extras.

I have the partridge family dvd set and there is one episode from Partridge Family 2200 AD. I have watch the episode and it just has me wanting more in regards to the cartoon.

It appears the following episodes were not included

"Wednesday is Missing"

The Addams Family

"A Good Medium is Rare"

Phyllis Diller

"Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde"

Sandy Duncan

"The Secret of Shark Island"

Sonny & Cher

"The Haunted Horseman of Hagglethorn Hall"

Davy Jones

"The Phantom of the Country Music Hall"

Jerry Reed

"The Haunted Showboat"

the cast of Josie and the Pussycats

"Scooby Doo meets Jeannie (aka "Mystery in Persia")

the cast of Jeannie

"The Spirit Spooked Sports Show"

Tim Conway

Speed buggy, Josie and the Pussycats along with the Addams Family is confusing since the WB archives and/or dvds have been released. Jeannie is an issue with Sony, but what is going on with Phyllis Diller, Davy Jones (Davy Jones was on the brady bunch set), Sonny & Cher, Sandy Duncan, Jerry Reed and Tim Conway. I still think they may want to re-look at this set now, because there are 9 episodes left, plus the word "best" does not describe accurately the content on the dvd.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Like I said about Jeannie, it's just a rumor I've seen at a few places. Ultimately, I don't know who owns Jeannie, but it's safe to say that Sony certainly has some say in it from at least a licensing perspective due to it's vague resemblence with the I Dream of Jeannie tv program.

The Speedy Buggy episode is on the movies set. Josie & the Pussycats and the Addams Family set aren't confusing. They required outside licenses that weren't negotiated at the time that the Scooby Doo movies set was released. It was only fairly recently where the necessary licensing agreements were acquired by WB to allow those cartoons to be released. It's ashame that they then didn't sneak those missing movies on to those sets as bonus material now that they had the necessary rights.

I presume episodes like the Sandy Duncan one are missing because they don't want to pay for the rights to those episodes. I assume the fees being asked for things like the use of Davy Jones' name and likeness was simply more than WB was willing to pay. And some of these "co-stars" also did some singing, which perhaps would also have to be licensed if it wasn't created specifically for this cartoon series by WB's writers and recorded through WB's studio.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

Like I said about Jeannie, it's just a rumor I've seen at a few places. Ultimately, I don't know who owns Jeannie, but it's safe to say that Sony certainly has some say in it from at least a licensing perspective due to it's vague resemblence with the I Dream of Jeannie tv program.

The Speedy Buggy episode is on the movies set. Josie & the Pussycats and the Addams Family set aren't confusing. They required outside licenses that weren't negotiated at the time that the Scooby Doo movies set was released. It was only fairly recently where the necessary licensing agreements were acquired by WB to allow those cartoons to be released. It's ashame that they then didn't sneak those missing movies on to those sets as bonus material now that they had the necessary rights.

I presume episodes like the Sandy Duncan one are missing because they don't want to pay for the rights to those episodes. I assume the fees being asked for things like the use of Davy Jones' name and likeness was simply more than WB was willing to pay. And some of these "co-stars" also did some singing, which perhaps would also have to be licensed if it wasn't created specifically for this cartoon series by WB's writers and recorded through WB's studio.

Thanks, Leo!

I think studio may have tried to push out the dvd for the movies too quickly as the original scooby-doo had been released. So, i am thinking that maybe down the road they may re-visit this set again, but, i think there are issue with with other stars/rights. In either case it would have been nice to have a complete set of the movies. It is one part of my scooby-doo collection that i do not have along with the 8 episodes discussed earlier.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by younger1968

Yeah, i am not a big fan on the scooby-doo that preceded the old scoobyy-doo show, especially scrappy doo. I do have the richie rich hour, which does have scrappy doo.

The best scooby-doo was the original show 1969-1970. The new scooby-doo was ok, because it had 10000 Volt Ghost and introduced Scooby-dum. However, there are mistakes with Scooby-Dum, because a few episodes say he is scooby's cousing another episode says they are cousins. My question is our they cousin or brothers? Enquiring minds want to know!!

Enquiring minds also want to know what on earth you meant by the following: "a few episodes say he is scooby's cousing another episode says they are cousins." Whaaat? Seriously--I think they settled on the fact that Dum was his country cousin. I am not a fan of either Dum or Scrappy--introducing another dog onto that show made Scooby have to play second fiddle to those two. Scooby was always reduced to playing the "straight dog" because those other two were just...so...hysterical. I didn't even like it when Dynomutt stole Scooby's thunder in that crossover episode. Scooby's a one-dog show...he didn't need another pound puppy to help him do his thing. And I also think those Scooby relatives were inspired by Shaggy, who dreamed them up in a pot-induced haze. You know what they say: people who are smoking pot come up with great ideas...and when they come down from their high, those same ideas just seem stupid.

I also wish WB would unvault other stuff that nobody ever really mentions...stuff like Clue Club, Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw...and on and on. Was any animation studio more prolific than Hanna Barbera in the 70s. Uh...nope! I grew up in the 70s...didn't know I was living in the Golden Age of tv animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks