What's new

Not wired correctly? (1 Viewer)

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
First of all I need to tell you that I know absolutely nothing about HT's.
With that said this is what I have:
Panasonic TH58PZ7000
Motorola DCT6412
Sony Blu Ray BDPS300
Bose V20

The problem is not the equipment, but how to get it setup correctly. I can not begin to tell you how many times I had to have Firedog come back to my home because of one thing wrong or another. They sell the products but they don't know how to set it up.
After 9 mths of fighting, I finally got it set up perfectly!! Yeah, that lasted for 5mths, then I had to call the cable guy for a problem. After he left, I found out that now I cannot just punch in DVD on my remote to watch a movie anymore, I now have to physically go the front of my TV, and push it from Comp2 (which is tv) down to DVD to watch a movie.
I hope I am making sense here, I at one time could push on my remote, whatever I wanted to watch with one button...such as TV...DVD...CD..etc.
I am an elderly woman who enjoys her home Tv, and I am petrified to have someone else come in my home and screw up something else.
All I want to know is what should be hooked up to my DVD, so that I can just tap on DVD on my harmony one like I used to.
I sure hope someone can help me!

Marilyn

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you familiar with the Harmony setup software or did you have them set that up as well?

This is one reason we encourage everyone to know their equipment and set it up. It sounds like a simple issue with your remote. You may just have to download the configuration from Harmony into it again.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
They set the harmony up for me. But it did work by the harmony before they sent the last guy out and he pulled some wires around and the only thing not working properly is the DVD on harmony..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you get into the remote's help menu, you can make changes that impact how it works. That's why I said that downloading your configuration to your remote again may set things back to normal. But it may not. You didn't mention the last guy re-wiring things. He may have plugged your DVD into the wrong set of inputs on the TV. Get into your Harmony configuration and find out what TV inputs are used and plug them in correctly.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
Thank you for getting back to me. I will try the configuration w/harmony, but before I get into more trouble I will tell you how they have my Bose Box set up to my DVD player, and if you think it is done correctly, then I will try harmony configuration.
From Dvd player is a yellow push in plug from the video out to video in on
Bose box.
From Dvd player they have HDMI out to HDMI in to TV.
Then they have optical plug from DVD player out to audio in to Bose

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Marilyn,

From what I've found on the Web, your Panasonic TV has two HDMI inputs.

Is only one HDMI socket being used (by the Sony Blu-ray player)?
Or is the other one being used, too (by the Motorola cable box)?

If only one of the TV's HDMI sockets is in use, it is most likely that the last person simply plugged the Sony Blu-ray player's HDMI cable into the wrong socket. The connections are a bit tight, but you should be able to unplug the cable from one socket and plug it back into the correct one.

Your Bose connections are OK. The yellow (video) cable probably isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
Selden,
Yes, only one HDMI plug is being used. That is the one that goes from Blu-Ray out to the HDMI in on TV.
It's funny that you asked that because when the cable guy left he handed me the HDMI plug and said that I did'nt need it.
For the first time in a long time I am feeling a glimmer of hope here.
Okay, so if I understood you correctly, you just want me to pull the HDMI plug from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2.
If that is the case, I did that and I am getting the audio now, but no video.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
I hope that I am explaining myself correctly. We have made some progress by putting the HDMI plug from hdmi one into hdmi 2.
When I push the DVD button on the harmony one it now goes into the DVD mode, which it wasn't doing until I switched the plugs as you told me to.
Now the only problem that I am left with is I do get the audio, but no video.
I do have another HDMI plug if I need it.
Marilyn

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Marilyn,

The audio from the Blu-ray player is going over its optical cable to the Bose and the Bose is powering the speakers, so Blu-ray's sound is completely separate from its video. The Bose doesn't know or care what the TV is doing when you're playing a Blu-ray disc.

The video from the Blu-ray player should be going over the Blu-ray's HDMI cable to the TV. I'm wondering if the HDMI cable might not be plugged in all the way. Please check that both ends are all the way in. HDMI connectors aren't the best design in the world and one or both might be loose.

After you've made sure the HDMI cable is well seated at both ends, and being careful not to disturb the other cables, can you see video from the Blu-ray by pressing buttons on the TV to select a different HDMI input?
(I can't find a manual online for your TV, so I don't know exactly how you'd do that.)

========
Just for my understanding:
What kind of cable connects the Motorola box to your TV?
Or is it connected only to the Bose?
What kind of cables connect them together?

Is the Bose connected to your TV?
If so, what kind of cable does it use?

Just so you know:
If I were setting it up, I would have run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the Bose
and an HDMI cable from the Blu-ray to the Bose
and an HDMI cable from the Bose to the TV.

(Motorola's Web site shows an HDMI output on the model of cable box that you mentioned. However, the box you have might not have an HDMI output. )

If that's not how they set it up, though, making those changes would make your Harmony control do the wrong things. Since I can't help with your Harmony, it's probably best to try to restore the cabling to what was used when it was working.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
Selden,
You are a genius!! That was the problem for the video. I cannot thank you enough for your help and patience with me.
I am a very happy lady.
Your not by any chance near Rhode Island are you?
Again, I cannot thank you enough!
Marilyn

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Marilyn -- I'm a bit late to the thread and am quite happy your equipment is back to working. On a different note you mention you are an elderly lady who likes TV and movies, uses a Harmony remote, has the good taste to have a Blu-ray player, and not only can tell the difference between an HDMI cable and a cableknit sweater but you can rewire you're own equipment.

Unless your definition of elderly is anyone over the age of 30, I would be happy to consider you as Unofficial Godmother of my two teenagers and you get a special award as Truly Cool Lady no matter what your chronologic age may be.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
David,
I am sitting here on my PC, and laughing out loud all alone!! That is the best compliment I have had in years. You have a great sense of humor.
You can double the 30 plus some more on top, I am just a very determined person. I knew it wasn't hooked up correctly, and that bothered me to the point of almost giving up...notice almost.
Thanks to the great people on this forum I did'nt have to give up.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by crossing23

David,
I am sitting here on my PC, and laughing out loud all alone!! That is the best compliment I have had in years. You have a great sense of humor.
You are very welcome and I wish you the best. Keep on spreading the good word and I hope any children you happen to be related to listen to your very wise counsel.

I had a buddy ago who complained (and was actually mildly offended) several years ago the first he was informed he qualified for a Senior's discount at a restaurant -- at least until he realized it was now cheaper to go out to eat then he brightened up considerably. I now qualify for that same discount and for my first AARP membership and I now see his point (both sides of it).

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Marilyn,

You are very, very welcome.

HDMI and its cables are the cause of most of the grief people have with modern audio and video systems.

Like you and David, I'm on the upper side of two 30s. ;)
And like David's friend, I really do dislike that fact! *grump*

I live in upstate NY, which I suppose isn't all that far from RI :)

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks