What's new

Shout for Sony! (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Just a list of Sony's many abandoned shows, and the number of seasons it would take to complete them on dvd; it may be too early to speculate on whether any of these will be picked up by Shout Factory, but oh well, let's do it anyway. All this stuff has its fans; seems to me Shout could produce any one of these shows and get away with it. I just hope the Facts of Life is the start of something BIG to come in terms of Shout's upcoming Sony releases:

All in the Family: Seasons 7-9
Archie Bunker's Place: Seasons 2-4
Barney Miller: Seasons 4-8
Benson: Seasons 2-7
Charlie's Angels: Season 5, which was only 17 episodes.
Diff'rent Strokes: Seasons 3-8
The Facts of Life: Seasons 4-9 (Season 4 has just been announced by Shout Factory)
Family: Seasons 3-5 (Season 5 was only 13 episodes; they complete all this in 2 boxed sets)
Fantasy Island: Seasons 2-7 (Not sure if Paramount now has the rights to this show)
the Flying Nun: Season 3
Hart to Hart: Seasons 3-5 + 8 reunion movies.
Hazel: Seasons 2-5
Here Come the Brides: Season 2
The Jeffersons: Seasons 7-11
Just Shoot Me: Seasons 4-7
The Larry Sanders Show: Seasons 2-6
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman: about 12 more releases.
Maude: Seasons 2-6
Ned and Stacey: Season 2
One Day at a Time: Seasons 2-9
Party of Five: Seasons 4-6
Police Woman: Seasons 2-4
The Rookies: Seasons 2-4
Silver Spoons: Seasons 2-5
SWAT: Season 2
Strong Medicine: Seasons 2-6
T.J. Hooker: Seasons 3-5
227: Seasons 2-5
V.I.P.: Seasons 2-4

What's Happening Now!! Seasons 2-3

Who's the Boss: Seasons 2-8

Let me know if I left out any series: there's gotta be more than this! It's Sony! Also please note any corrections below and I'll fix it later. And above all: speculate on what you want to see!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
And about 70% of that list I'd beg for, especially Strokes, Benson, Jeffersons, Silver Spoons... well, you get the idea.

Got a TV series that you want out on DVD that been abandoned by companies that refuse to help? Want it in decent formats and reasonable prices and some decent extras? Call Shout!

We're ready to preserve your memories!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad I only like The Facts of Life on that list enough to want DVD's (And I like Barney Miller, but not enough to purchase it on DVD), otherwise it would be pretty depressing to see all the stalled series.

Good thing I'm not a fan of Norman Lear's work.

What classic television shows does Sony own from before 1970? I'm aware of what's on your list like Hazel, but what about shows Sony has completely ignored? I'm aware of Dennis the Menace, but nothing else comes to mind.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I've already begged for Silver Spoons. That's my most wanted "stalled" series after Gimme A Break (soon to be unstalled hopefully). I think there's a high chance of Shout! releasing it at some point. They already have a relationship with David Duclon, executive producer on Silver Spoons, via their Punky Brewster sets. On sitcomsonline Judith Moose, who wrote a book on the show & has connections to some of the cast, once posted that Shout! couldn't get the ok from Sony to produce the DVD's. This indicates they tried. Hopefully they finally suceeded. Brian Ward said several times they tried to get Facts of Life and couldn't, but that they would try again. Now look. So I think there's hope for Silver Spoons.

It would make sense, at least if Facts Of Life sells well, to try at least a few more seasons of Diff'rent Strokes. This may turn out to be another Adam 12 type situation where they continue Adam 12 but not Dragnet, the show it was spun off from. I would just love to see more Diff'rent Strokes. I wouldn't count Gary Coleman in on any extras though .

I don't know if Sony would be willing to license out shows that had several season released already by them like The Jeffersons or All In The Family. They may decide to eventually do a DVR route with that. Hopefully they will license them out though.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd like one that was sort of mentioned, but not...

Fantasy Island 1998.

Only 13 episodes... that's a complete series release no one would ever have to worry about.

Of course, I'd also like to see the Original Fantasy Island. I would assume Sony owns this show, since it was a Columbia Pictures property.

Oh, and The Nanny is a Sony property. They're only through season 3, so there are three more seasons to go.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

What classic television shows does Sony own from before 1970? I'm aware of what's on your list like Hazel, but what about shows Sony has completely ignored? I'm aware of Dennis the Menace, but nothing else comes to mind.
The Farmer's Daughter is another Sony show that I want, and I think they also own the last couple seasons of The Donna Reed Show. The Donna Reed estate owns the first few seasons.

rosannaluo84

Auditioning
Real Name
rosanna
sony vegas 9 is really powerful, but backup process is so long and occupy a lot of space.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I'd like one that was sort of mentioned, but not...

Fantasy Island 1998.

Only 13 episodes... that's a complete series release no one would ever have to worry about.

Of course, I'd also like to see the Original Fantasy Island. I would assume Sony owns this show, since it was a Columbia Pictures property.

Oh, and The Nanny is a Sony property. They're only through season 3, so there are three more seasons to go.
Sony seems to still be putting out the Nanny. Since season three popped out of nowhere last March, I don't consider it to be one of those shows that's been totally abandoned. I'd give them a little more time. I'm still not sure if Paramount has the rights to Fantasy Island; was it part of the big Aaron Spelling package they now control? Ditto Hart to Hart. I don't feel like tracking down ownership of all these series; I just want the dvds lol~~

Leo, why would it be depressing for you to see all your fellow forum members get the shows they want on dvd? I am not depressed for you getting another season of Facts of Life :(

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

I don't know if Sony would be willing to license out shows that had several season released already by them like The Jeffersons or All In The Family. They may decide to eventually do a DVR route with that. Hopefully they will license them out though.

I see really no point of Sony hanging on to those two titles if all they are ever going to do is just keep the programs in the vault and be left untouched. I mean, they are not making any money with doing absolutely nothing with them. I think it would better serve them if they would license the shows out and make money that way.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

I'm still not sure if Paramount has the rights to Fantasy Island; was it part of the big Aaron Spelling package they now control? Ditto Hart to Hart. I don't feel like tracking down ownership of all these series :(
Spelling/Goldberg series are distributed by Sony, and Hart to Hart and Fantasy Island are both Spelling/Goldberg. Another Sony series that might be good for Shout is It's Your Move.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Charles H With all the original commercials and network IDs, too, like the box sets.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I'd LOVE to have the 39 unreleased hour-long episodes, and would gladly double dip for the pleasure. How nice it would be to see remastered "Bringing Far Places Together" or "Beyond This Place, There Be Dragons", etc., instead of the poor quality copies I now have.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Travis: I never thought of Larry Sanders. Forgot they even released those few episodes. Added it; and might I add that Shout seems to be doing ok with their It's Garry Shandling's Show dvds; can Larry be far behind? Hope not!

Lee: thanks for the info; that's always confused me. I guess Paramount just controls primarily the soap operas that they're currently releasing (while Sony's ignoring all the shows it controls lol). As someone who grew up in the 70s and 80s, it's easy for me to say that I would love to own the entire Spelling canon on dvd. I seem to be about 15% of the way there. It looks like 90210 will soon be complete, but everything else is taking its sweet time. And 90210 is like my least favorite of all of them... :(

Does Sony control Naked City? I know Image put out a lot of the episodes...so they didn't get to season 4 at all?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Leo, why would it be depressing for you to see all your fellow forum members get the shows they want on dvd? I am not depressed for you getting another season of Facts of Life :(
Reread my post, you misread it the first time. I was being critical of Sony abandoning so many series, including major ones like All in the Family. And I added that I'm glad I like little of their television library since it would be depressing to see so many stalled series of shows I want on DVD.

I never said it would be depressing to see series like All in the Family finished. I certainly hope they're eventually finished just because there are so many fans of shows like that one, although I don't count myself as one. To me, I view programs like that pretty negatively because of the rural purge on CBS at the time that was killing off shows I love.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by David Lambert

Quote:

Bewitched (and Jeanie) sold VERY well. Simple as that.
Speaking of Jeannie, how about releasing the two TV-movies ("I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years later" and "I Still Dream of Jeannie") to DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks