What's new

Throwback Cola (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't drink coffee, but I sure go through the pop. So, in the last few weeks, all the stores are carrying "Throwback" editions of pop, and it's a blast.

Mountain Dew Throwback Edition - real sugar, original formula

Dr. Pepper Heritage Edition - real sugar, original mix

Dr. Pepper Pure Black Cherry - real sugar

Pepsi Throwback Edition - real sugar

Coca Cola Kosher Classic - Real sugar

almost all the stores near us are stocking all. Maybe it won't last, but for right now, I'm enjoying it. It's really different to go back and taste the original mix ;)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm really enjoying it too. I've had the pepsi, dr pepper and mtn dew so far. I have not yet seen the others on your list. The pepsi was great. I found that the mtn dew tastes more like "regular" diet mtn dew.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have been a Dew drinker since i was a kid, in the 70s. But tasting the throwback...well...its ass! I guess i got used to the high fructose corn syrup!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I get to drink sugar Dr Pepper all the time in Texas, but I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to this Throwback. I haven't seen it, though.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pepsi is the one doing it across all their products. Apparently Coke just does it all the time with a Kosher version of coca-cola, our local grocery has just decided to carry it.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I really like the Coca Cola Kosher....is the Cherry Dr. Pepper actually black cherry soda, or is it the regular Dr Pepper flavor with some black cherry added to it?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These came out sometime last Spring. My wife and I did a simple single-blind test: She poured me a cup of each, unlabeled, and I tasted both. I said which one I preferred and she revealed what I'd chosen. Then the same for her.

We both liked the regular better. The pure-sugar was a simpler, sweeter flavor. In the Mt. Dew, I could find some appeal. But we're used to the HFCS and the "throwback" tastes a bit weird.

In contrast, a coworker, about 60, who grew up with the sugar sodas, buys the Mexican and Kosher and specialty sodas because he finds the HFCS weird and lesser.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this is a marketing mistake. Assuming people prefer the sugar version, it seems like this would just remind them of what they're missing out on, and they might decide they don't like the standard version so much after all. Wouldn't it be better for the company to just pretend the sugar version never existed?

When do we get Tab Throwback with real saccharine?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a marketing mistake if it reduces profits. Is it doing that? Is diluting or damaging the brand in a way that will decrease profits?

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
I have been a Dew drinker since i was a kid, in the 70s. But tasting the throwback...well...its ass! I guess i got used to the high fructose corn syrup!
Me, too, and this is my opinion, exactly! I don't really like the throwback Dew, but the Pepsi is good.

I found that the mtn dew tastes more like "regular" diet mtn dew.
That's what my son says, too. But he likes diet drinks and I don't, so maybe that's why he likes the throwback Dew?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I tried the Heritage Dr. Pepper the other day and it was so much better than the regular version. It had a bit more "bite" than the HFCS version.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I much prefer the drinks sweetened with real cane sugar. I understand the high fructose corn syrup is really bad for you, (much worse than sugar). Is that true? (I feel certain that it costs less for them to use HFCS.)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Our local Costco has Mexican Coke by the case. I have seen individual bottles in the Mexican food section of out local Shop 'n' Save. This is supposedly the cane sugar version. (Haven't bought any yet, I'm holding out for a celebration.)

From what I understand, the Pepsi Throwback products are a "limited time only" thing. They will be brought back on an occasionally basis like McDonald's McRib.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Graham

From what I understand, the Pepsi Throwback products are a "limited time only" thing. They will be brought back on an occasionally basis like McDonald's McRib.
Yes, this is the second time in a year or so that they've brought out the throwback Pepsi, so it must sell OK. I still have a couple 12-pks left from the last time it was out (last spring/summer sometime?).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Brooks

I much prefer the drinks sweetened with real cane sugar. I understand the high fructose corn syrup is really bad for you, (much worse than sugar). Is that true? (I feel certain that it costs less for them to use HFCS.)
I've heard that when you want to fatten up pigs, you feed them corn (not sugar). Maybe there's a lesson in there?

On a more human note, yes, "fructose does not cause the pancreas to release insulin the way it normally does. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. This may be one of the reasons Americans continue to get fatter" (H. Hallfrisch, et al.,The Effects of Fructose on Blood Lipid Levels, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 37: 5, 1983, 740-748).

Some people (including myself) believe that the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s is what created the wave of obesity and diabetes that then occurred. Look at the date of that article -- in 1983, people were noticing that obesity was on the rise. (In contrast, think back to all the big fat hippies in the late 1960s, early 1970s. Can't? Hmm...).

Today, HFCS is in nearly everything, even basic staples like bread. It can be avoided if you shop at expensive stores, but if you walk into a cheaper supermarket, chances are good that nearly everything you find there will have HFCS in it.

I'm hoping that Coke is trying out sugar again with the intent to stick with it. Corn should be for pigs and for car engines, not for human beings.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by mattCR

Pepsi is the one doing it across all their products. Apparently Coke just does it all the time with a Kosher version of coca-cola, our local grocery has just decided to carry it.
Pepsi is not doing across all brands, it is only Pepsi and Mountain Dew.
last year the dew was the current formula with cane/beet sugar instead of hfcs.
this time the MD is closer to the 70's formula with the addition of orange juice concentrate.
Starting on I think it was Dec 28th pepsi is produced for 8 weeks then back in the vault

Pepsi and coke have been selling a Kosher brand for years for sale round Lent or Easter or both, not sure.

Here, just about 15 miles south of Philly there is never any of the Kosher sodas.
Also the Heritage Dr Pepper is available depending on the bottler of Pepsi and Coke in your area.
Here DR is bottled by Coke so we won't be getting the Heritage Dr pepper.
If your Dr is bottled by Pepsi you should see it on shelves.

Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

I wonder if this is a marketing mistake. Assuming people prefer the sugar version, it seems like this would just remind them of what they're missing out on, and they might decide they don't like the standard version so much after all. Wouldn't it be better for the company to just pretend the sugar version never existed?

When do we get Tab Throwback with real saccharine?
Not mistake because this stuff will sell out and the regular hfcs stuff will not take a hit.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by TonyD

Pepsi and coke have been selling a Kosher brand for years for sale round Lent or Easter or both, not sure.
That'd be around Passover, because it's actually Kosher for Passover (KFP) Coca Cola. Both company's soft drink products are all kosher. It's the HFCS that makes them not usable during Passover, so the diet products are not affected by this. The KFP Coca Cola is notable by the yellow cap with a KFP marking. Take a look at the special bottle caps here:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&resnum=0&q=kosher%20for%20passover%20coke%20marking&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I've actually seen the "Mexican" Coke around here a couple of times. I think it was at Target.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've been getting the Mexican Coca Cola for years, and it's so much better than the HFCS junk.

Alas, lately my store has been getting in larger 1-liter bottles of Mexican Coke that has a sticker saying "contains sugar or high fructose corn syrup". Excuse me, but you're totally missing the point here.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Dr Pepper is in the stores right now in a cardboard 12 pack. I bought one but haven't tried it yet. The cans are awesome. There are about six different retro designs, though each 12 pack only has a single design inside. I guess they're hoping to entice collectors. I'm cool with this as long as it doesn't cause my year-round glass bottle DPs to go away. Shouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread