-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 bowbiker

bowbiker

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 03:39 PM

want a projector to get a bigger screen or do I just go with a plasma big room 24x20 someone please help what are pic quality differances and cost.  Please Help

#2 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 21 2010 - 06:54 PM

Periods do make your post easier to read. The size of your room doesn't determine your screen size. Your seating distance from screen determines screen size. If you use a projector, your room needs to be reasonably dark. If you're starting from scratch, a projector setup will probably be more expensive because you also need a separate receiver for sound, speakers, possibly a projector mount, a screen. The screen and mount can be made pretty cheap. I made my screen and mount for about $60 total. With a room that size, I definitely would go with a projector.  

#3 of 7 bowbiker

bowbiker

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Jim,
Sorry about the periods, got a little lazy. I'm about 18 to 20 feet back from the wall, have all the A/V equipment. Was going to use paint for the screen, what do you think? I don't want to view in the dark all the time though.

#4 of 7 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,115 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 22 2010 - 05:28 AM

1.  Paint "screens" are great if your wall is perfectly flat.  Only you can determine that.  I used a wooden frame and wooden border made from parts from Lowes and fabric from the local fabric store to make my screen.  Took a weekend and cost $70.  Most of the weekend was waiting for the paint to dry on the border.
2.  18 to 20 feet means a huge screen.  I sit 13 feet from my 103" screen.
3.  I have my lighting set up with dual recessed in the rear of the room.  I leave them on if we are eating dinner in front of the TV.  Yes, it does wash the picture out a little.  If I put a dimmer on them it would we better.  The rest of the time we watch with the room as dark as possible because that gives us the best quality picture.

#5 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 06:45 AM

Like Robert said, if you're going to paint the wall for your screen, it needs to be nice and smooth, with no visible flaws. Mine wasn't, so I painted a sheet of 1/2" MDF for the screen, and mounted that. Can you move your seating closer to the screen? Otherwise your screen would need to be about 11-12' wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbiker 

Thanks Jim,
Sorry about the periods, got a little lazy. I'm about 18 to 20 feet back from the wall, have all the A/V equipment. Was going to use paint for the screen, what do you think? I don't want to view in the dark all the time though.

#6 of 7 bowbiker

bowbiker

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Robert,Jim,
So it sounds like if I don't want to be sitting in the dark all of the time I should go with a flat screen, what are your thoughts on DLP sets?
And yes I can move the seating up closer.

#7 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 11:43 AM

I didn't say you need to sit in the dark all the time. It needs to be "reasonably" dark. It's best if the lights in the theater room are recessed lights, on a dimmer switch. That way the light doesn't shine on the screen, and you can dim them down as needed. That room is too big for a flat screen TV(You will be disappointed). A projector would be great in that room. My theater room is only 13' X 17' and my screen is 106" diagonal. I would put the seats about 14-16' back, and get a screen about 120" diagonal. You just need to pick a projector bright enough.