What's new

Need some 411 new flatscreen or projector what is the + and - of the two (1 Viewer)

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Planing on buying my first flatscreen but wondering if I should go with a projector instead? Can anyone help?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Scott,

Sure we can help, but we need a lot more information first.

- What is your budget?
- How much light control does the room have that you want to put this system in? Front projectors work best in rooms where you can easily control the amount of light. A windowless room with total light control (often in a basement) works best.
- How high are the ceilings in the room, and about how far from the screen would you normally be sitting?
- Do you have easy access to run a video cable to the projector's location (be it ceiling or perhaps a shelf at the back of the room)?
- What sources (DVD/Blu-Ray, Cable/Satellite, PS3, etc.) do you plan to have connected to the system, and what model A/V receiver do you have?

In terms of pros/cons:
Pros:
- NOTHING beats the "theater experience" that you get with front projection.
- Inch for inch, front projection is one of the cheapest display options out there.

Cons:
- Is greatly affected by the amount of ambient light in the room - too much light and the picture gets washed out.
- Projector is often located at a distance from the rest of the gear, so running a video cable can pose a challenge.
- (maybe this is a pro, depending on how you look at it) Having such a "big" picture demands having "big" sound to go with it - so beware "upgradeitis".

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Scott,

When I was looking to set up my first HT. I had a friend who had a projection system in his basement HT and a 52" LCD in his family room. I spent some time in each room viewing each system. I have to say for the movie experience the projector system was nice like being at a theater due to the darkened room. However, for every day general mix of TV viewing (cable & DVD) in a multi purpose family/living room I preferred the flat screen. You didn't tell us where and how you plan to set up your system. I am sure some would disagree with me but If you want the move theater experience in a dedicated media room then you might what consider a projector. If you want to create a HT experience as part of a multi purpose room, with normal windows and lighting then a large flat screen may be better suited for your needs.

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Hey Jason,
First, thanks so much for the info, my budget is about 2 thousand or so. Light control is good, there are windows but it is rather dark down stairs and the windows can be covered. the ceiling height is low at about 75 inches and I would be sitting about 18 to 20 feet from the wall to be used. The ceiling is open ( just got done running the speaker wires for the 7.1 surround) so that would not be an issue.My sources are mainly DVD-Direct TV that's it. The A/V is a Yamaha 7.1 a few years old with no HDMI hook ups (not sure on the exact model as it is in my vacation home in another state) I think that I am OK in the sound department.
My main concern is the wall that I would be projecting on is only 50 inches from ceiling on down but I have 100 inches plus wide, Can you adjust a projector to any size? is the ceiling to low? Also I would not want to be viewing in the dark all of the time.
If a projector would work, any recommendations? If not , any recommendations on a flat screen 60" or bigger?

Thanks again

bowbiker

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Thanks for the info Bill always good to have plenty of input from so many great minds.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks