Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Chaplin Feature Films on Blu-ray from Kinowelt May 2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 12:09 PM

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4052

Quote:
Kinowelt Home Entertainment has unveiled its Blu-ray slate for April/May, which prominently features no fewer than five movies directed by and starring Charles Chaplin: 'The Kid', 'The Gold Rush', 'City Lights', 'Modern Times', and 'The Great Dictator'.

At the moment it is not confirmed whether they'll be sold separately or in a movie set. 

This is awesome news
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 19 2010 - 01:46 PM

Is this only in Germany, and are they related to the US Kino company?  I'd love to get a non-sped-up original cut of Gold Rush.  

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H View Post

I'd love to get a non-sped-up original cut of Gold Rush.  

Me too!

This is a different company (I think) than the American Kino. However, they'll probably be region free. I buy imports both DVD and BD, and I've had some excellent quality German ones. The WB Chaplin sets are OOP, so there will likely be an Amerian release of these too.

In fact, there have been rumours that Criterion is preparing a BD Chaplin set too.

Either way, it looks like Chaplin's masterpieces will be coming on Blu...sooner and later.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 20 2010 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Panke 

Me too!

This is a different company (I think) than the American Kino. However, they'll probably be region free. I buy imports both DVD and BD, and I've had some excellent quality German ones. The WB Chaplin sets are OOP, so there will likely be an Amerian release of these too.

In fact, there have been rumours that Criterion is preparing a BD Chaplin set too.

Either way, it looks like Chaplin's masterpieces will be coming on Blu...sooner and later.
Kinowelt is a different company.  If Warner's U.S. rights have lapsed, I wonder if that rumor about Criterion is true? 

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 20 2010 - 09:41 AM

Criterion did get the US rights. Chaplin estate email to criterionforum.org member:

"I 'm not sure yet but I think that the first dvds to be released will be more or less the same as the Warner ones, unless Criterion are planning something we don't know about. New stuff including HD restorations will be on blueray, ?next year? year after?"

Jeff at criterionforum.org is always on top of these things, and he stated recently:

"Criterion did indeed win the U.S. distribution rights. The films are owned by the Chaplin estate, managed by Mk2, and distributed in different territories by the highest bidder. I believe Criterion will want to do some additional restoration of their own, so their discs may still be a way down the line."

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 09:17 AM

No word on whether these will be original theatrical cuts or the "Daddy" cuts Chaplin made in his dotage?