What's new

Where does the sound come from?? (1 Viewer)

FlyBoyd

Auditioning
Real Name
Boyd
I know that this question may sound elementry to most of you, but I am just beginning to realize the potential of my av receiver and have a newbie question to ask.

Components:
Sony 52" Bravia W series
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
Bose Accoustimass speakers
Cox HD DVR receiver
PS3

I have the HD DVR going to the Pioneer via HDMI and then run HDMI out to the TV. I also have the PS3 into the Pioneer via HDMI. The question I have comes from the sound. I am running a optic cable from the TV to the Pioneer. In the setup menu under the input menu, I set up the TV to OPT-1. I want to hook up a digitial coax from the HD DVR to the Pioneer, but this is where I am a little confused. When I have the input for the HD DVR selected on the Pioneer I only get sound from the receiver and not the TV. There is even a note in the manual that states when you have HDMI going, you will not hear sound from the TV. So the question is am I wasting a cable by hooking up a optical cable from the tv to the receiver? Should I be hooking that cable (or the digital coax) from the HD DVR to the receiver?

I am pretty sure that the sound is coming from the HDMI source, because to hear sound at all you need audio from your HD DVR to the receiver right?

I hope I am not confusing anyone that is willing to help, but I am more than happy to answer questions to help me understand this a bit better. I should of been doing this a long time ago, but I guess it's never to late to have some good sound!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Boyd

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by FlyBoyd
So the question is am I wasting a cable by hooking up a optical cable from the tv to the receiver? Should I be hooking that cable (or the digital coax) from the HD DVR to the receiver?
Welcome to HTF, Boyd. In answer to the above question, you only need to use the digital out connection from your TV if you have a direct signal connection to the antenna input on your television. Since you only mention having a HD cable box as a television source, this does not seem to be the case. Your Pioneer receiver will handle the audio for all your other sources, and simply passes the video portion of the HDMI signal to your TV monitor via its HDMI output connection.

FlyBoyd

Auditioning
Real Name
Boyd
Thanks for the help. That's pretty much what I figured, I just had an extra optical cable and thought it would be good. Like you said if I don't have a vid source going to the tv, what's the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks