What's new

Sound doesn't sync with DVD player (1 Viewer)

blueskies

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I have a pretty basic system that connects my LCD flat screen tv, cable box/dvr & dvd player to a home theater system. The sound works fine when using the tv or cable box, but when I switch to DVD the sound is slightly ahead of the picture. If I turn off the ht, the sound coming from the tv is fine with the dvd. Used a variety of cords (coaxial & rca) and have used different dvd players, all with the same problem. I've also used other input sources on the HT other than dvd, including the game & line in, and it still has the problem. Any suggestions?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
This is a common problem. Modern receivers include an audio delay setting. Maybe yours does, too.

The processing of the DVD's video in the TV, upconverting from standard definition 480i to high definition 1080p, takes some time. The TV's audio system knows how long it takes and delays the sound appropriately. The receiver doesn't know how long to wait -- different TVs take different amounts of time. Some of the more expensive modern receivers and TVs can communicate that delay so the receiver can set the delay automatically. Others require a manual setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks