What's new

Human Target - Season One (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well the premiere for Human Target has finally aired in all markets (it aired in Canada a few days early), and the ratings are strong (around a 3.0 share in 18-49, with about 10 million viewers), considering it had no real lead-in to speak of, save for the finale of 24 season 7.

Overall, I thought the pilot was quite strong, bolstered by great performances all around by the cast. Mark Valley, as Christopher Chance, blended the roguish charm of Han Solo, James Bond, and Indiana Jones. Jackie Earle Haley seemed to channel part of his recent performance as Rorschach in his new role as Guerrero. Chi McBride rounds out the core cast as the down-to-earth (so far, at least) Winston.

The action was quite good, with the fight scenes--in particular the melee on the train--rivaling some of the better film fight scenes in recent memory. While the plot was pretty basic, it served to introduce the basic premise of the show, and highlight the skills of the main cast members. To be honest, I'm not sure a show like this really needs complicate plots to engage the audience. Sometimes all you need is cool characters, fun dialogue, kick-ass action scenes, and great music.

Speaking of music, the amazing Bear McCreary, of Battlestar fame (not to mention Sarah Connor Chronicles, Trauma, and Caprica, to name a few more) scores the show with his typical mastery. To say he was robbed of an Emmy this past year is an understatement. Human Target is one of the few shows on TV that is scored by a full orchestra week-to-week, and anyone familiar with Bear's work knows he puts 100% into each and every cue, theme, and motif. His blog ( http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/ ) is reall well-done, and worth a visit.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season--here's hoping its ratings continue, and FOX gives it a Chance.

This show seems "fun," and fun shows are few and far between these days (Chuck, of course, being one of the few).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the CC character won't seem so assured or all-knowing for any and all situations he ends up in. Sometimes you can be too cool under pressure. But I liked Mark Valley as Keen Eddie, and hope he does find some success on TV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked Mark Valley on Boston Legal (the only show I've seen him in). You could tell he had a lot going for him: looks, acting chops, flair for comedy, etc.

But I disagree about the premiere episode. I thought it was rather outlandish: runaway train, etc. When the woman explained to Valley's character how to gain access through that air/cabling duct, I laughed out loud. And she was so non-plussed after it was over...even though her multi-billion dollar train had just exploded intoa million pieces as someone tried to kill her.

I really didn't think it was all that well written. Fun is fun...but I don't want to be laughing AT the show, I want to be laughing WITH the show.

Edited: For a typo...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I kept thinking of the Boston Legal episode where Mark Valley chopped off the Priest's fingers and they kept yelling at him "Don't go all Mannix on us!"

It did have a Mannix / MacGuyver feel..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't watch much television. This is the first television series episode I watched from beginning to end since Life on Mars. With that said, I didn't miss much after evaluating this pilot episode. I will watch it again on Wednesday in hope of seeing some improvement.

Crawdaddy

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This didn't do much at all for me, will probably watch one more time to see if anything improves.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I find this show to be a throwback to those fun (but mindless) 80's shows, like The A-Team and Magnum, with a freelancer taking on clients in trouble and all the crazy explosions and fight scenes.

I'll definitely watch again!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The second episode was quite good. It's clear the show is all about an adrenaline ride, with a side of charm and sarcasm. Of course the situations are preposterous, but it is based off of a comic book. Also, nothing I've seen is any more or less believable than events on 24 or Chuck (two favourites), so I don't mind suspending my belief for an hour of action. Not everything needs to be LOST or The Wire or The West Wing for me :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

The second episode was quite good. It's clear the show is all about an adrenaline ride, with a side of charm and sarcasm. Of course the situations are preposterous, but it is based off of a comic book. Also, nothing I've seen is any more or less believable than events on 24 or Chuck (two favourites), so I don't mind suspending my belief for an hour of action. Not everything needs to be LOST or The Wire or The West Wing for me :)
I agree about the situations being preposterous while enjoying this episode alot more than the first one. I'll watch again next week. By the way, I like Courtney Ford who guess starred last night. She is a very attractive actress that should be doing more than guess starring on new television series.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I like Courtney Ford who guess starred last night. She is a very attractive actress that should be doing more than guess starring on new television series.
She was a series regular on the last season of Dexter. (just in case you don't watch that show.)

I'm enjoying Human Target; especially Jackie Earle Haley's role/performance.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

She was a series regular on the last season of Dexter. (just in case you don't watch that show.)

I'm enjoying Human Target; especially Jackie Earle Haley's role/performance.

- Walter.

Walter,

The Human Target is the first television series I watched since Life on Mars which was the only series I watched on television the last three years or so. I just don't have the time any longer and would rather spend my free time watching movies and sports.

Crawdaddy

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I really like Mark Valley. I was bummed when they canceled Keen Eddie (if you have never seen it you should) and never understood why they got rid of him on Boston Legal. I hope this show sticks around for more than just a few episodes or just one season.

I see it just getting better and better as it goes along and I hope Fox keeps it around.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Liked Valley on BL an Keene Eddie, loved Chi McBride in Pushing Daisies, so really rooting for this show. So far I've enjoyed both episodes

And she was so non-plussed after it was over...
"Nonplussed" means "totally bewildered; astonished to the point of speechlessness." Which is a pretty reasonable state to be in after you've nearly been killed in the wreck of your billion dollar trains. You seem to be using it to mean "unaffected" - which it doesn't.

Regards,

Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

Aaaargh. This is a particularly humbling experience for me, since I consider myself quite careful in my choice of words and in using words correctly. This particular word is a raspberry seed in my wisdom tooth.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I like this, just good old-fashioned popcorn TV.

Way over the top, completely unbelievable, but loads of fun. Didn't know it was comic book based, but now it makes sense.

You could probably barrel roll a lot of passenger jets, but I really doubt they could fly upside down for 10 minutes.

Drives me crazy when I see people like Courtney Ford. You know they look familiar but can't quite place them. Took a few minutes, but it finally clicked, Trinity's daughter on Dexter.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I thought this was fun but definitely nothing special. I'll keep watching it for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

The one thing that drives me crazy though is that episode 2's structure is entirely overdone these days.

What I mean by that is that I'm so sick of shows that have an episode with an event near the climax showing immediately when the show starts, and then it flashes back to the beginning to show how it got to that point, and then it turns out that what you thought was happening in that opening minute is different from what's really happening.

It seems like one show or another uses that structure practically every week, and it's just annoying at this point.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Stan
Didn't know it was comic book based, but now it makes sense.
For info on the comic and a previous TV adaptation, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_target

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks