Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Human Target - Season One

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 06:22 AM

Well the premiere for Human Target has finally aired in all markets (it aired in Canada a few days early), and the ratings are strong (around a 3.0 share in 18-49, with about 10 million viewers), considering it had no real lead-in to speak of, save for the finale of 24 season 7.

Overall, I thought the pilot was quite strong, bolstered by great performances all around by the cast.  Mark Valley, as Christopher Chance, blended the roguish charm of Han Solo, James Bond, and Indiana Jones.  Jackie Earle Haley seemed to channel part of his recent performance as Rorschach in his new role as Guerrero.  Chi McBride rounds out the core cast as the down-to-earth (so far, at least) Winston.

The action was quite good, with the fight scenes--in particular the melee on the train--rivaling some of the better film fight scenes in recent memory.  While the plot was pretty basic, it served to introduce the basic premise of the show, and highlight the skills of the main cast members.  To be honest, I'm not sure a show like this really needs complicate plots to engage the audience.  Sometimes all you need is cool characters, fun dialogue, kick-ass action scenes, and great music.

Speaking of music, the amazing Bear McCreary, of Battlestar fame (not to mention Sarah Connor Chronicles, Trauma, and Caprica, to name a few more) scores the show with his typical mastery.  To say he was robbed of an Emmy this past year is an understatement.  Human Target is one of the few shows on TV that is scored by a full orchestra week-to-week, and anyone familiar with Bear's work knows he puts 100% into each and every cue, theme, and motif.  His blog ( http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/ ) is reall well-done, and worth a visit.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season--here's hoping its ratings continue, and FOX gives it a Chance.

This show seems "fun," and fun shows are few and far between these days (Chuck, of course, being one of the few).

#2 of 68 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 09:37 AM

I'm hoping the CC character won't seem so assured or all-knowing for any and all situations he ends up in.  Sometimes you can be too cool under pressure.  But I liked Mark Valley as Keen Eddie, and hope he does find some success on TV.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 68 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,763 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 18 2010 - 10:03 AM

I liked Mark Valley on Boston Legal (the only show I've seen him in).  You could tell he had a lot going for him:  looks, acting chops, flair for comedy, etc. 

But I disagree about the premiere episode.  I thought it was rather outlandish:  runaway train, etc.  When the woman explained to Valley's character how to gain access through that air/cabling duct, I laughed out loud.  And she was so non-plussed after it was over...even though her multi-billion dollar train had just exploded intoa million pieces as someone tried to kill her. 

I really didn't think it was all that well written.  Fun is fun...but I don't want to be laughing AT the show, I want to be laughing WITH the show.

Edited:  For a typo...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 68 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 18 2010 - 12:57 PM

I kept thinking of the Boston Legal episode where Mark Valley chopped off the Priest's fingers and they kept yelling at him "Don't go all Mannix on us!"

It did have a Mannix / MacGuyver feel..

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 68 Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 02:04 PM

awful...............
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#6 of 68 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 18 2010 - 09:32 PM

I don't watch much television.  This is the first television series episode I watched from beginning to end since Life on Mars.  With that said, I didn't miss much after evaluating this pilot episode.  I will watch it again on Wednesday in hope of seeing some improvement. 

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 68 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 11:27 PM

This didn't do much at all for me, will probably watch one more time to see if anything improves.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#8 of 68 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,142 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 12:58 AM

I find this show to be a throwback to those fun (but mindless) 80's shows, like The A-Team and Magnum, with a freelancer taking on clients in trouble and all the crazy explosions and fight scenes.

I'll definitely watch again!

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - July

Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#9 of 68 Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted January 19 2010 - 04:42 AM

I enjoyed the first show although it was a bit preposterous.  I'll watch next week, then probably decide whether to keep watching it.

#10 of 68 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 04:17 AM

The second episode was quite good.  It's clear the show is all about an adrenaline ride, with a side of charm and sarcasm.  Of course the situations are preposterous, but it is based off of a comic book.  Also, nothing I've seen is any more or less believable than events on 24 or Chuck (two favourites), so I don't mind suspending my belief for an hour of action.  Not everything needs to be LOST or The Wire or The West Wing for me :)

#11 of 68 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2010 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dial 

The second episode was quite good.  It's clear the show is all about an adrenaline ride, with a side of charm and sarcasm.  Of course the situations are preposterous, but it is based off of a comic book.  Also, nothing I've seen is any more or less believable than events on 24 or Chuck (two favourites), so I don't mind suspending my belief for an hour of action.  Not everything needs to be LOST or The Wire or The West Wing for me :)

I agree about the situations being preposterous while enjoying this episode alot more than the first one.  I'll watch again next week.  By the way, I like Courtney Ford who guess starred last night.  She is a very attractive actress that should be doing more than guess starring on new television series. 

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#12 of 68 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
 By the way, I like Courtney Ford who guess starred last night.  She is a very attractive actress that should be doing more than guess starring on new television series. 

She was a series regular on the last season of Dexter. (just in case you don't watch that show.)

I'm enjoying Human Target; especially Jackie Earle Haley's role/performance.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#13 of 68 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2010 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel 

She was a series regular on the last season of Dexter. (just in case you don't watch that show.)

I'm enjoying Human Target; especially Jackie Earle Haley's role/performance.

- Walter.

Walter,

The Human Target is the first television series I watched since Life on Mars which was the only series I watched on television the last three years or so.  I just don't have the time any longer and would rather spend my free time watching movies and sports.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#14 of 68 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 10:12 AM

I on the other hand, watch waaaaayyyy too much television.  

(My brain on TV - )

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#15 of 68 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted January 21 2010 - 10:32 AM

I really like Mark Valley. I was bummed when they canceled Keen Eddie (if you have never seen it you should) and never understood why they got rid of him on Boston Legal. I hope this show sticks around for more than just a few episodes or just one season.

I see it just getting better and better as it goes along and I hope Fox keeps it around.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#16 of 68 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 22 2010 - 07:54 AM

Liked Valley on BL an Keene Eddie, loved Chi McBride in Pushing Daisies, so really rooting for this show.  So far I've enjoyed both episodes 

Quote:
 And she was so non-plussed after it was over...

"Nonplussed" means "totally bewildered; astonished to the point of speechlessness."  Which is a pretty reasonable state to be in after you've nearly been killed in the wreck of your billion dollar trains.  You seem to be using it to mean "unaffected" - which it doesn't. 

Regards,

Joe

#17 of 68 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,763 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 22 2010 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino 

"Nonplussed" means "totally bewildered; astonished to the point of speechlessness."  Which is a pretty reasonable state to be in after you've nearly been killed in the wreck of your billion dollar trains.  You seem to be using it to mean "unaffected" - which it doesn't. 
Spot on, Joe.  Thanks for the correction.  I clearly did mean she seemed quite unaffected by the chain of events.

I am so aggravated about this.  I think I just learned the wrong meaning of the word when I was much younger and I have mis-used it on many an occasion.  And I think that even though I have been corrected in the past, I will need to "re-learn" the word and force myself to learn how to use it properly.  I wouldn't be surprised if you have called me out on this before here on the forum... 

Aaaargh.  This is a particularly humbling experience for me, since I consider myself quite careful in my choice of words and in using words correctly.  This particular word is a raspberry seed in my wisdom tooth.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#18 of 68 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 02:06 PM

I like this, just good old-fashioned popcorn TV.

Way over the top, completely unbelievable, but loads of fun. Didn't know it was comic book based, but now it makes sense. 

You could probably barrel roll a lot of passenger jets, but I really doubt they could fly upside down for 10 minutes.

Drives me crazy when I see people like Courtney Ford. You know they look familiar but can't quite place them. Took a few minutes, but it finally clicked, Trinity's daughter on Dexter.

Stan

#19 of 68 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 07:50 PM

I thought this was fun but definitely nothing special.  I'll keep watching it for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

The one thing that drives me crazy though is that episode 2's structure is entirely overdone these days.

What I mean by that is that I'm so sick of shows that have an episode with an event near the climax showing immediately when the show starts, and then it flashes back to the beginning to show how it got to that point, and then it turns out that what you thought was happening in that opening minute is different from what's really happening.

It seems like one show or another uses that structure practically every week, and it's just annoying at this point.

#20 of 68 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 24 2010 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan 
Didn't know it was comic book based, but now it makes sense. 
For info on the comic and a previous TV adaptation, see http://en.wikipedia....ki/Human_target

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users