Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE BOOK OF ELI Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,112 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 03:56 PM

What happens when you have enough plot for a 30-40 minute short film, and stretch it out to 2 hours?  A lot of boredom for the audience, and by the time we get to the end, whatever impact of the conclusion should have had just seems like an after-thought.  Denzel Washington just doesn't have much to work with, and there aren't enough bad-ass moments to keep this viewer's interest.
I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 05:12 PM

Interesting, this viewer had the opposite reaction.  I was truly swept away in this post-apocalyptic wasteland and in the westward journey/mission Washington's character has been on for >30 years.  The cinematography, art design and score accentuated the grayness of despair and hopelessness and the editing during the fight scenes was spot-on. The conclusion to me is right up there w/ similar movies w/ "game-changing" conclusions that make it necessary for repeat viewings to catch the verbal and physical cues.  I thoroughly enjoyed the film and applaud the Hughes Brothers for this fine early 2010 film.
"It's not HBO ... it's just regular ass TV." - Chappelle

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2010 - 05:20 PM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Book of Eli". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2010 - 05:36 PM

After work, I viewed this film yesterday, I was into the film too and agree that it's going to take more than one viewing to fully appreciate this film effort.  I do think the writing could've been a little tighter, but overall I was very much entertained. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,366 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted January 19 2010 - 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Alphonse Brown 

Interesting, this viewer had the opposite reaction.  I was truly swept away in this post-apocalyptic wasteland and in the westward journey/mission Washington's character has been on for >30 years.  The cinematography, art design and score accentuated the grayness of despair and hopelessness and the editing during the fight scenes was spot-on.

The conclusion to me is right up there w/ similar movies w/ "game-changing" conclusions that make it necessary for repeat viewings to catch the verbal and physical cues.  I thoroughly enjoyed the film and applaud the Hughes Brothers for this fine early 2010 film.
I agree.  I found it absorbing and surprisingly moving -- great score and cinematography.  It's worth checking out, especially if you like the key actors.  In terms of post-apocalyptic anti-heros, Washington holds his own.  I think that The Road is a better film, albeit with an entirely different theme and tone.  This is a good entry into the pantheon. 

***.5/*****

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted January 20 2010 - 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alphonse Brown 

Interesting, this viewer had the opposite reaction.  I was truly swept away in this post-apocalyptic wasteland and in the westward journey/mission Washington's character has been on for >30 years.  The cinematography, art design and score accentuated the grayness of despair and hopelessness and the editing during the fight scenes was spot-on.

The conclusion to me is right up there w/ similar movies w/ "game-changing" conclusions that make it necessary for repeat viewings to catch the verbal and physical cues.  I thoroughly enjoyed the film and applaud the Hughes Brothers for this fine early 2010 film.
agreed. couldn't have said it better.

4/5 stars.  Definitely will require a repeat viewing.  It also may require a little biblical knowledge.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Al_S

Al_S

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted January 27 2010 - 05:19 AM

I agree with Patrick on this one.  It was just blah and boring.  I kept waiting for something interesting to happen that never did.  I give it 2/5 stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users