Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear channel speaker question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   jcieutat

jcieutat

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 15 2010 - 08:52 AM

I am in the beginning phases of an addition for a home theater.  I have begun to assemble some new items to go along with my existing A/V equipment.  My existing speakers are KEF KHT5005.2. I am adding two speakers to make it a 7.1 system.  I recently purchased a set of KEF Ci60.2FS in ceiling speakers for the rear channel.  Today I got a killer deal on a set of Proficient W670 in wall speakers.  I would rather use the in walls.  I am always reading how the speakers need to be matched and for fronts I would tend to agree but for rears I am not too sure.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 15 2010 - 01:33 PM

Rule of thumb is the front three (left, right, center) should match, the rears can be different.  If you're going with 7.1 you might consider using the same for the sides and rears though. 

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   BusbyGreg

BusbyGreg

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 15 2010 - 08:09 PM

Good point Ryan. Your front three speakers will be used about 90% of the time where you rears and sides are only used for (surround)  effect.. so you can mix up your speaker but if you can try to keep them the same because all speakers will have different sounds qualities and will have different ranges