What's new

does your blu-ray player remember your bookmarks? (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
does your player remember your bookmarks after you turn it off? i usually bookmark my demo scenes and find this feature pretty convenient (too bad so few discs have this feature). anyways my old PS3 would remember all my bookmarks, but my new player (samsung BD-P3600) erases them after i turn it off. i was wondering how many players do this.

a few discs with the bookmark feature:
iron man, transformers, star trek 2009, dark knight

(just an FYI, to bookmark during play, press the green button on the remote. to access bookmarks, go to the scene selection from the main menu)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It was my understanding that a deck should remember the last place you were watching and go right back to it even if you turn your whole system off, but my PS3 doesnt even do this, and I never use bookmarks so can't help with your Q.... Maybe I need to set a switch or something...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sam,
the ability to restart where you left off is software-specific. Some discs allow this, the vast majority don't.

The bookmark feature (also disc-specific) does require some memory in the player, which of course the PS-3 has. Mine will remember bookmarks until I delete them, no matter how long ago the disc was last played or what other discs have been played in the meantime. HD DVDs with the bookmark feature worked the same way on Tosh players.

The BDP-3600 is supposed to have 1gb of internal memory so I don't know why it won't remember bookmarks. I tried unsuccesfully to download the manual to see if I could be of any help but no luck.

Edit:

I finally got a look at the manual for your player. Check out page 60--it seems that in addition to the internal memory the player also will accomodate an external memory device (USB flashdrive) and you can switch between the two in the player setup menu.

If your player won't remember bookmarks it could be set to external memory but not have such a device connected or the internal memory is selected but full.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
just tried that - it was originally on internal (which was empty), i connected a USB drive and switched to it in setup. no change - bookmarks still get deleted after turn off. d'oh!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve that explains why it worked on early releases and not any more. Thanks! I think Sony and Disney are better about this than the other studios, does this ring true?

Sam

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's weird. I have the Sony BDP-S350, which would only save bookmarks once I attached a USB thumb drive. BD-Java titles are the only ones that allow for bookmarking and that's because BD-Java disables the "resume play" function that exists on non-Java titles. This is why external or internal memory is required. I'm wondering if your player's firmware is current, Eric. Bookmarking should work from the get-go, but an update might assist.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
That's weird. I have the Sony BDP-S350, which would only save bookmarks once I attached a USB thumb drive.
when i first purchased the player i noticed the bookmark thing and upgraded via LAN to the latest version, it did not help.
i think it's just a stupid design decision on Samsung's part. i'm no techie, but i'm thinking they choose to save bookmarks in their "temporary" memory. when the USB drive is connected (and assigned in setup), it flashes up when the player is powering on/off, but it doesn't flash when bookmarks are entered.
if all else were equal, i'd probably switch brands, but the BD-P3600 is the cheapest 7.1 analog-out player out there and i don't want to spend $50+ more for another player if this feature is only really on a handful of discs. it's too bad though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How do you even set a "bookmark"? There's no button on the remote. There's no menu option.

Of the three Blu Ray's I've watched so far, there seems no way to have the movie resume where I left off. It's very annoying when I'm working my way through commentaries. This can take me multiple viewings and each time I resume watching I must spend several minutes manually scanning through the movie to find where I left off.

Visually the Blu Rays are gorgeous. But a pox on the houses of the UI designers.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Steve that explains why it worked on early releases and not any more. Thanks! I think Sony and Disney are better about this than the other studios, does this ring true?
The two Disney*Pixar movies I've watched can't resume. So no, that doesn't ring true.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
to bookmark during playback, press the green button on the remote. to access bookmarks, go to the scene selection from the main menu

a few discs with the bookmark feature:
iron man, transformers, star trek 2009, dark knight

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know the basic equivalent of the green button on a PS3? (For those not using any kind of remote...)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:Originally Posted by EricW And then selecting a menu option rather than the disc auto-returning to where I left it.

Again, a blight upon the Blu Ray designers for making simple things from DVD needlessly difficult.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The bookmark feature is title-specific (and studio/producer-specific in some cases like Universal and Criterion).

Universal, in particular, sticks w/ their U-Control navigation across all their BDs, AFAIK, and probably offers the bookmark feature in the exact same, uniform way across the board. They also include the same, seemingly player-specfic(?) help along those lines too -- their U-Control recognizes the diff between a PS3 and other standalones for instance. It's one of the better qualities about their U-Control nav. Criterion does likewise w/ their nav system (although they're more streamlined and intuitive and does not need/offer much in the way of nav help).

Near as I can tell, some of the other studios may be starting to follow Universal's (and Criterion's) lead in this regard and going for a more uniform nav system for their own titles going forward. Warner had also been somewhat uniform, but not completely so. However, I have not noticed any bookmark features on their titles either even though it seems like they've switched to using BD-J in the recent past (and thus, their more recent titles do not work w/ the standard resume function built into players).

Also, some titles may be implicitly using automatic bookmarks, eg. TV series, especially Lost (w/ their Season Play feature).

I never (explicitly) use bookmarks myself, but that's what I've noticed anyway.

_Man_

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know the basic equivalent of the green button on a PS3? (For those not using any kind of remote...)
to bookmark on a PS3, use one of the controller buttons that brings up a bunch of [control icons, colored squares and the numbers 1-10]. for me it was the triangle button on the controller but i don't know if i configured it to that). once you get that pop up, use the d-pad to move the cursor over the green square. then press X to bookmark.

Warner had also been somewhat uniform, but not completely so. However, I have not noticed any bookmark features on their titles either even though it seems like
Warner discs that have bookmarks include Dark Knight... and a bunch of Warner HD-DVDs that i have that have bookmarks is Batman Begins, Superman Returns, 300, and the Matrix discs. i can only guess the blu's are the same.

btw my Toshiba A2 remembers my bookmarks, so it may be just Samsungs that don't get it right.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
All Toshi HD DVD players had sufficient internal memory for bookmarking, and it was persistent storage, meaning that the bookmarks would be retained after the player was shut off and even after the disc was taken out. Thissounds like a glitch that Samsung needs to address with a firmware update. Eric, have you contacted Samsung customer service about this? You can't possibly be the only one having this problem.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by EricW

Warner discs that have bookmarks include Dark Knight... and a bunch of Warner HD-DVDs that i have that have bookmarks is Batman Begins, Superman Returns, 300, and the Matrix discs. i can only guess the blu's are the same.
During the format war period, Warner did apparently author some diffs between releases on the 2 formats -- usually tending to favor HD-DVD, if there's a diff. But I have no idea if those diffs included the bookmark feature.

I have Batman Begins, the Ultimate Matrix set and the later version of Superman Returns (w/ Dolby TrueHD) on BD. Guess I could check in a bit to see although only the Batman Begins BD (of the ones mentioned that I own) was released during the format war period, IIRC.

One thing I meant to at least imply. At least part of the reason I did not notice the existence of the bookmark feature in Warner BDs is that I don't generally care to (explicitly) use the feature at all. Since I don't actively look for it, I'm far less likely to notice its existence unless it's relatively prominent *and* uniformly implemented in the nav menus, which I do find to be the case w/ Universal and Criterion, but not w/ Warner. Not saying that's necessarily a bad approach for Warner titles, but just saying their bookmark feature is not prominent for the way I watch/use my BDs.

_Man_

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Eric, have you contacted Samsung customer service about this? You can't possibly be the only one having this problem.
indeed i have. read the following, and notice the akward english :)

EMAIL #1:
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Hi I recently purchased a BD-P3600 and noticed that whenever i turned it off, all bookmarks from any previously played disc was erased. examples of discs that have the bookmark feature include Iron Man, Transformers 2, Dark Knight, Star Trek 2009. Is this the way the player was designed?[/COLOR]

RESPONSE:
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With reference to your e-mail, we understand that you see that when you power off and power on the Blu-Ray player BD-P3600 the bookmark is erased from the player.

The Blu-Ray player stores the information as a book mark as long it is in the standby mode. When you power it off and then on it then the bookmark will not be stored in the player.

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.[/COLOR]

EMAIL #2 (follow up)
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]This seems to be a significant design oversight. Is there a reason why the bookmarks could not be written to save-able internal memory? The Sony blu-ray players do that, and bookmarks are saved when you turn it off.
Could this be fixed with a firmware upgrade?[/COLOR]

RESPONSE:
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]With reference to your e-mail, we understand that you want to know whether the 'Bookmark feature will be updated through Firmware'.

Bookmarks in the player will be not available, if you turn off and turn on the player.

However, we are sorry to inform you that we do not have the information about these future Updates besides what is available on Samsung.com.

:)

but just saying their bookmark feature is not prominent for the way I watch/use my BDs.
i've had an HD-DVD player and PS3 since the early days of the format wars and have only STARTED using bookmarks :) if you like playing demo sequences, and not wanting to remember where they are, it's a pretty convenient feature.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which sounds like the onboard memory is not persistent memory, but onboard RAM like a PC: once you shut the sucker off, the stored items are gone. Really poor design if you ask me.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
well it looks like the Samsung CAN retain bookmarks, just on some discs. a user on another forum pointed out that the bookmarks made on Dark Knight are retained, which i found to be true, but that the Paramount discs do not. i emailed Samsung to call them on this, as it conflicted with their earlier explanation, and got this:

EMAIL #3 (follow up)
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]in a previous email, your dept stated 'The Blu-Ray player stores the information as a book mark as long it is in the standby mode. When you power it off and then on it then the bookmark will not be stored in the player.' However I tried bookmarking with the Dark Knight disc and the player retains the bookmark information after being shut off. On other discs like Iron Man, it does not. Is there a reason for this?[/COLOR]

RESPONSE:
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]With reference to your e-mail, we understand that you would like to know why does the Blu-Ray player BD-
P3600 does not work with the Iron Man and works with the Dark Knight.

This issue is with the disc and not with the player as you are able to make a book mark for some of the discs
and not for some discs. We suggest you to try this feature using any other discs and let us know the issue.

:)

Huitzilopochtli

Auditioning
Real Name
Spiro
I just bought a Blu-Ray player, a Panasonic BD60, and I started watching "Hot Fuzz", released by Universal. It uses the "U-Control" system, and it allows me to set bookmarks and "clips". The green button lets me set a bookmark and the blue button lets me set a clip. The problem is, I have no idea how to delete these once I've created them. There seems to be no button in the interface that let me delete a bookmark or a clip. If I go to the scene selection menu, I don't see any of my bookmarks there. It boggles my mind that someone would design an interface where you can create an object like a bookmark but you can't delete it. Did anyone test this thing?

If anyone has this disc and knows how to fix this, please let me know. Thanks!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If you use your arrow keys to select the bookmark or clip, then point down, you should highlight a delete box. Press enter and the bookmark/clip is gone. I don't have Hot Fuzz, but this is the way it works on every other U-Control disc I have (Fast and Furious, Hellboy II, Incredible Hulk, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks