Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fox goes to 11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 06:41 AM

Something unusual on Fox Sunday- premiere of 24 is scheduled from 9-11 pm.

I don't remember Fox ever scheduling the 10-11 hour. Is this the first time? (Sports that run late and push other shows back don't count.)

I wonder if it could be a test of whether they should schedule that hour on a regular basis.

#2 of 12 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,161 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 14 2010 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood View Post

I wonder if it could be a test of whether they should schedule that hour on a regular basis.

I don't think it's anything more they hope to get more eyes on Human Target (or whatever their new show is) by making an 'event' out of the entire night.

#3 of 12 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,453 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 06:52 AM

Does anyone know why Fox doesn't program during the 10pm-11pm hour?  I know when they started there just wasn't enough programming (I remember the big deal when they branched out from the weekends and started programming Mon-Fri), but why does this persist anymore seeing how Fox is the #2/#3 network?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,036 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 07:09 AM

I noticed in my travels around the country that many of the Fox affiliates have a 10pm hour newscast which is a big money maker for the affiliates. I know the station here in my home town that became the Fox affiliate always had a 10pm hour long newscast and there was no way they were going to give that up when they became an affiliate. (I was working in broadcast television at the time and knew many of the people at the Fox affiliate)

I would image that many of the affiliates negotiated into their agreements that a 10pm news cast was what they wanted. I doubt many of them will be willing to give that up since again, it is a big money maker for them.

#5 of 12 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,286 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 07:12 AM

Affiliate agreements. Fox gave them 10-11pm originally because they didn't have any programming to put there, as you say, but the 10 PM newshour is one of the most profitable hours for Fox affiliates, and one they aren't likely to give up anytime soon.

My guess is that they had to work out a special negotiation with affiliates for the "24" premiere. Losing the 11 PM hour on weekends is also far less of an issue for affiliates than losing it during the week would be.

EDIT: Errr... what Patrick said.

#6 of 12 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,453 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 07:14 AM

From what I understand, the biggest obstacle to Conan moving to 11pm on Fox is that the affiliates make a boatload from syndicated sitcoms in the 11pm hour, and they don't think Conan would get any better ratings than what they already have (some are afraid of losing viewers).

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,723 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 07:36 AM

Adam:

Not sure if you've noticed...but Fox23 here in the Albany-area has now added a half-hour newscast @ 11pm on weekdays to follow their hour-long 10pm news block. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 12 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,279 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 14 2010 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

From what I understand, the biggest obstacle to Conan moving to 11pm on Fox is that the affiliates make a boatload from syndicated sitcoms in the 11pm hour, and they don't think Conan would get any better ratings than what they already have (some are afraid of losing viewers).
However, as part of their affiliate agreement, Fox has the right to institute an 11pm-12am program. So, it's more a matter of making such a show equal to or more profitable than the syndicated shows the affiliates run.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,036 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

However, as part of their affiliate agreement, Fox has the right to institute an 11pm-12am program. So, it's more a matter of making such a show equal to or more profitable than the syndicated shows the affiliates run.

I've also read that the agreement allows Fox to institute a late night show. It's highly unlikely it would ever be as profitable for the affiliates as their own programing but that is another matter.

#10 of 12 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,286 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 10:14 AM

That's the biggest difference, though. Fox's affiliate contracts allow it to take back the 11 PM hour whether the affiliates like it or not. The network is not empowered to do the same for the 10 PM hour.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,036 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 10:17 AM

Yea I think we are all in agreement on that one.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 08:48 AM

I think Fox broadcast the premiere of Dark Angel from 9-11 way back when that started.

It's rare, but it's been done.